Creating the Half-Dragon

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Joe the Rat

Re: Creating the Half-Dragon

Post by Joe the Rat »

MedievalMan wrote: I guess its just easier to imagine a bunch of drunken wizards in a room plotting what two creatures they will mix together next.
Owlbears. Yep.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Joe the Rat wrote:
MedievalMan wrote: I guess its just easier to imagine a bunch of drunken wizards in a room plotting what two creatures they will mix together next.
Owlbears. Yep.
That is similar to how I explained Caneins (New Races Supplement). Basically wizard experiment in the past, and now you have a race.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

A wizard did it works surprisingly well in this instance.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I like owlbears :)

An alternative half-dragon origins: When a dragon needs an "emissary" or someone who can speak for both humans and dragons they select a young lady and by means of ancient dragon ritual magic the dragon pregnant the young lady.
"Good" dragons do this by common agree and only as needed (for preventing wars against dragons, etc)
"Bad" dragons tends to kidnap beautiful young womans, specially virgins and of noble blood so that the child could someday infiltrate the human territories and do its father bidding.

Depending on the setting this can happen relatively often, or being something that use to happen in the past and the half-dragons only mate between them.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote:I like owlbears :)

An alternative half-dragon origins: When a dragon needs an "emissary" or someone who can speak for both humans and dragons they select a young lady and by means of ancient dragon ritual magic the dragon pregnant the young lady.
"Good" dragons do this by common agree and only as needed (for preventing wars against dragons, etc)
"Bad" dragons tends to kidnap beautiful young womans, specially virgins and of noble blood so that the child could someday infiltrate the human territories and do its father bidding.

Depending on the setting this can happen relatively often, or being something that use to happen in the past and the half-dragons only mate between them.
That works, but I tend to try to minimize the presence of sex, rape, incest, etc. in my gaming... though this is mostly due to the fact that I generally play with youngsters and I just don't want to cross those topics with them. As an adult, I don't mind such references, as they can really make the most sense... think Ogres and Orcs are doing well in the human club scene?!? (NOT)
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

You can make that the "evil dragons" simply use worshipers so everything they do is under they free will, or they are charmed by the dragon...

half-elf: my parents met at this right bar, how about yours?
half-orc: mmmmm on-line dating...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

@Dimirag

:lol:
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If you've ever read the various Alchemist materials by Bard Games, you'll understand how I deal with most combination creatures. Those materials provide a way for an alchemist (or wizard) to combine the features of two or more creatures, but adds a degree of randomness to the results. Only a few magical hybrids will be fertile, and generally breeding requires (a) another like the first but of the other gender, or (b) mating with one of the creature-types the hybrid was created from. For instance, a crossing of a bat and a fish would be able to breed with either a bat or a fish (depending on which creature's generative organs the hybrid received), and at least some of the offspring would be hybrids also.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org