Creating the Half-Dragon

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
MedievalMan

Re: Creating the Half-Dragon

Post by MedievalMan »

I suppose I could go for half-dragons of various backgrounds, in such cases I would make a little chart for determining breath weapon damage type. I think I am going to remove the natural weapons and scale the breath weapon damage to 1 dice of damage per 2 hit dice. I was thinking they would stand around 6'5" tall on average (with females being slightly shorter and lighter). Armor will be x3 the cost. Hmm I will need to put this together in a little while. A lot going on today.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

If they are big like you say, give them +1 on Feats of Strength such as opening doors and such (in addition to any actual STR bonus) to account for their size/mass. See Half-Ogre in Half-Humans supplement for such precedence. Also, as a Half-Human, such 1/2Dragons would get +5% bonus to experience (from their Human component, again see Half-Human Supplement)... although I get the feeling they don't need this due to all the perks I am seeing.

As it stands, I don't think you are going to have enough negative balancing factors to offset the positives. Your race should not be so tough as to make the other races just a dumb choice (mathematically or mechanically speaking). If nobody wants something so mundane as a Human or a Dwarf after you introduce this race, then you probably have a balance issue going on. Even worse, if the players feel one player (the one playing such 1/2dragon) is overpowered compared to their by-the-book characters, it can be very detrimental to the group dynamic.

Overall, it is generally better that new races are actually slightly under-par balance-wise, so that they don't get too much emphasis. You can see a lot of this in Half-Humans Supplement or Monsters as Races Supplement, where most of the offerings are sometimes (or often) slightly underpowered.

Just a bit of game-design philosophy to chew on too. :)
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Thanks Smoot I am trying to think of more drawbacks I can add too them. I want half-dragons to be comparable to half-ogres with maybe a few more special abilities in return for a few more drawbacks.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

D&D gold dragon have wings, but they don't look like the typical bat-wing...
Half-Dragon could have some natural code of honor akin to a paladin (destroy evil its in their blood).
They could have a little of "gold-fever", feeling tempted or being distracted by objects made of pure gold (allow a ST against this compulsion).
The breath weapon damage of the dragon is based on its age/size which is reflected on its HD, thats another reason to use a standard damage like 1d6+Con mod for ex...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:D&D gold dragon have wings, but they don't look like the typical bat-wing...
Who said anything about D&D? :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MedievalMan wrote:Thanks Smoot I am trying to think of more drawbacks I can add too them. I want half-dragons to be comparable to half-ogres with maybe a few more special abilities in return for a few more drawbacks.
Add susceptibility to diametric damage types (fire dragon = cold vulnerability), make up something for those like black dragon (acid) or Blue (lightning)

Add significant role-play vulnerability, distrust by the general population; thought of as monsters; must keep identity hidden (half-orc, half-ogres, Drow Elf, etc. not welcome in society).

Not Immune to special weaponry usable against dragons - ie. Dragon Slayer Arrows, Sword +1/+3 vs Dragons, etc. all have full effect against Half-Dragons.

Perhaps give them a 'monster HD' (see examples of this in the Monsters as Races Supplement). This means they will have to acquire 1500xp before they even get the benefit of their chosen class (but they will get +1 AB and 1 HD at this 'negative level'.)

I would remove Flight (even as an option), they just don't get this despite perhaps having vestigial wings. Perhaps have them acquire flight at 10th level (and other characters will likely have some flight options by this time via use of spells, flying mounts, magical items, etc.). The wings may help to reduce damage from slowing falls, but otherwise don't give even limited flight ability until 'name level (when characters stop getting HD and instead get fixed hp/level).

Armor Class from scales is simply +1 or by Armor Type (whichever is better) - a slightly worse scenario than you propose, but works best for MU or other unarmored types.

I will try to think of more 'negatives' you might apply
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Alright this is what I have so far based on all the suggestions I have received.

Half-Dragon
Description: Half-Dragons are the result of magical experimentation combining dragons and humans. Half-Dragons are easily identified by the scaly flesh, sharp teeth, reptilian eyes, a long tail and large leathery wings. Half-Dragons find it difficult fitting in with normal society due to their draconic appearance, and most become adventurers simply to earn a living. Both male and female Half-Dragons stand some six and a half feet tall and weigh around 300 to 350 pounds. Half-Dragons have a long life span, typically two to three centuries in length.

Restrictions: Half-Dragons may become Fighters, Magic-Users, and Thieves, they may also combine the classes of Fighter and Magic-User. A Half-Dragon must have a minimum 13 in Strength and a 13 in Constitution, and may not have a Dexterity higher than 15. Due to their odd body shape any armor a Half-Dragon wears must be specially tailored to fit and costs x3 the base amount.

Special Abilities: All Half-Dragons have Darkvision with a 60' range. A Half-Dragons wings do not allow flight, but they can allow the Half-Dragon to glide reducing fall damage by up to 2d6. A heavily encumbered Half-Dragon is unable to use this gliding ability. Half-Dragons have a breath weapon that they can use once per day that deals 1d6 points of damage per point of Constitution modifier, a successful save vs Dragon Breath reduces this damage by half. A Half-Dragons breath weapon does one of the following types of damage; Acid, Cold, Fire or Electricity. A Half-Dragon's breath attack affects an area and hits those caught in the area whether friend or foe, those who choose Acid, Cold or Fire damage affect a 30' cone shaped area while those who choose Electricity affect everything within a 10' wide 50' long line. This damage is chosen at first level and cannot be changed once chosen. Due to their great size, they gain a bonus of +1 to die rolls when opening doors or performing other feats of Strength.

Saving Throws: Half-Dragons save at +1 vs. Death Ray or Poison.

I am thinking about adding some minor form of energy resistance based on breath weapon, and possibly one more restriction or so. They sort of turned out like dragonborn which is ok.
Last edited by MedievalMan on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Solomoriah wrote:
Dimirag wrote:D&D gold dragon have wings, but they don't look like the typical bat-wing...
Who said anything about D&D? :D
I tend to base most things on D&D background, but your right... one of the first thing that could be done if the abilities of the half-dragon are physically based are to well, define how is their dragon parent physically... and then define the physical aspect of the character, this can help to establish some qualities and drawbacks.
Then you can work the magical/metaphysical ones.

I like the way its looking right now. As to the Energy Resistance: You can give a flat bonus or Con bonus to ST against that type of damage, or even increase the AC if the attack is against that, or even give them a DR against that attacks.
MedievalMan

Post by MedievalMan »

Cool I was wondering if it was unbalanced or anything, looks like it isn't. I think I might leave it the way it is unless anyone can point out any glaring flaws for me.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Whats the Breath attack range? It's a cone? a cloud? fireball-type?