Chapter 8: A Puzzle

This forum is for Solomoriah's playtest adventures in the town of Redbluff.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Chapter 8: A Puzzle

Post by Solomoriah »

Here's your new thread. Start here whenever you are ready.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Re: Chapter 8: A Puzzle

Post by Hywaywolf »

Shybolt checks on the cleric and finds him totally healed as well as the rest of the party (assuming that nothing happened during the convalescence). When the entire party is together at a meal he says, "I think its time we headed back down. We should investigate the portal room first to see if we can get any idea that it might connect to the throne room or its secret room. I doubt that the minotaur will still be there so we will need some fleshy items with some noisy markers attached to toss into the portal. We can space our selves out along the passage to signal each other from the throne room to the portal and see what this portal does. Are you ready?"
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

Brother Arven, completely healed and ready says, "As I see it we have several puzzle areas, the glowing portal, the statue/battle room, the pit, and the dead crispy things room. We have lots of options, but little choice. Master Shybolt, that sounds like a great plan, I for one have been anxious to throw something in that glowing portal since you all told me about it." He nods his head and absently munches on the dried toast that he was able to scrounge.

'I read in a book once that a little girl fell down a hole, she technically was led there by a velociraptor or a rabbit I can't remember which, but the point is that she fell into to hole and could not get back out until she found a vorpal sword and killed a mad queen...or was it a Jabberwocky whatever that is? I don't recall, but in the end she made it back and all was well." He looks up and smiles at his friends. then waving his hand in a dismissive gesture he says, "But then again I could be getting that story mixed up with another one about a man who had a green lantern and fought evil but I don't think so."
Player: I drink the potion!
DM: Are you sure you want to do that?
Player: Um, no. Maybe, Why, do you think it would be stupid?
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

"Maybe we're missing some clues," Timorel says. "I don't know. What do you think about letting the town in on what's down there? Do you think the locals might know some useful bit of information? Maybe the reeve?"
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

If there is loot, I am not in the mood to have killed everything in sight between teh 4 of us, then have to share any loot with the whole town.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I'm only talking about getting information and warning the town. It'd be a shame to miss the loot entirely just because we didn't ask around about any common legends or what not.

Also, we can just walk away any time if they demand a share. They're the ones living on top of mysterious portals, a pit full of hungry monster, etc., etc.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I don't mind asking once we try a few more options. Heck, I just might try a random pattern just for fun.
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

"I agree, there is no harm in us asking for information, probably more chance of a benefit actually. If we stay away from the town authority we should not draw too much undo attention." Brother Arven says.

Taking a drink of his ale, he continues, "But on the other hand, we have been healing here for what, three days, and there has been no further attempts from down under, so we may have cleansed the dungeon of it's evil inhabitants and now we are free to roam down there as we please. By the way I was thinking that a rope with noise makers on it might prove more practical than hacking up the minotaur and throwing parts into the portal, much as I would love to dismember and mistreat the corpse of the thing that did this...." He motions to indicate the large healing scar on his chest. The prayers to the Lord are effective and restorative, but sometimes the healing that takes place before or after is normal and not supernatural, and those leave scars and memories.

Setting his now empty cup down, "So, gentlemen?" then turning to indicate Shybolt with a grin, "And Master Shybolt. What shall we do? Master Grumm knows the locals, so he could indicate whom we need to speak, Master Shybolt has shown a skill in the ability to speak effectively, so when shall we start? If we split up we can cover more ground, but then again I have heard that splitting up is a good way to offend the gods who like togetherness rather than following them around trying to listen in on each and every conversation."
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"Well, a rope with bells would be noisy, but it wouldn't tell us if the portal would turn flesh inside out when it delivered us to the other side." Shybolt says. Then, "And I think sticking together would be best since we could communicate better with the 4 of us strung out through the passages rather than one of us running back and forth from the throne room to the portal to report what happened."

(OOC: my preference is to go try to see if the portal send stuff into the space on the other side of the secret door. I have a suspicion that the secret door isn't really a secret door at all and that the opening mechanism is a red herring to drive thieves batty. It could be that the portal is the real access point to the secret room.)
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

"Well I do see your point, then I am all for using the Minotaur for your purpose.
But as far as spreading out, I was referring to us speaking to the townsfolk regarding the whole troglodyte cavern below their town thing. Your thoughts on communicating in the dungeon are good and I agree with that as well."

Brother Arven stands and moves to the fireplace where Irene has placed a iron pot of onion soup, and takes a taste when her back is turned, and finding that it lacks a touch of salt he waits til she returns to the kitchen for another customers ale, he quickly adds just a touch.
Then quietly moves back to his chair, and nonchalantly sits back down...and asks Irene for a refill when she walks by again.
"M'Lady, perchance a refill of this fine vintage?"

Turning back to his friends, "You know this stuff actually starts to grow on ones pallet, I may need to speak to the brew master before I head back to the monastery. Quite fascinating taste, nutty, yet just a hint of mint. I could get used to it....of course I could just as easily get used to moat water as well I guess. I had read a book once by the great master warrior Sangari of Grestilma, in it he had a 10 page dissertation on the brewing techniques of the various nations that he invaded, righteously I might add, and one of them was in the Wang-Tu Provence of the Gold Lands. This brew he wrote was of the finest flavor, and took on an almost reddish color in the sun. The peasants he asked told him that it was infused with the spirit of all the heroes that had died protecting the lands, but then he said that a servant of his had spied the older toothless women of the village chewing on the leaves of the Gomja Hops that they used for brewing and then spitting them into a large copper pot that they would boil and then let ferment into the drink he spoke of so highly. Needless to say Sagari did not bring any home to share with his patron." He looks around to make sure no locals are near, "No one has seen any toothless women folk spitting into any large kettles around here have they?" He eyes the foamy remains in his cup warily.