Chapter 1: The Descent

This forum is for Solomoriah's playtest adventures in the town of Redbluff.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Chapter 1: The Descent

Post by Solomoriah »

While Dorne was praying, Grumm, Shybolt, and Timorel went down to the cellar to enlarge the hole the kobolds had made. It proved fairly easy to do, and in short order the hole in the wall was large enough for a man to walk through upright. Beyond, a ten foot wide stair descended into darkness.

Start with a marching order, and tell me how you plan to proceed. Remember that not all of you can see in the dark.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Re: Chapter 1: The Descent

Post by Hywaywolf »

After a hearty breakfast and acquiring 6 torches from wherever torches can be acquired in this village, Shybolt will lead off down the stairs slowly, inspecting each step for anything out of the ordinary such as discoloration from surrounding blocks, slippery surface, loose construction, mold etc. Every so often he will look up at the ceiling to watch for murder holes, loose blocks, nets, mold, wetness, or anything else that might make him worry. He'll also inspect the walls for loose or discolored bricks, holes that might indicate peep holes or dart traps, secret doors, etc. He knows the heavily armored dwarf and local thug (Grumm) will be moving slowly so he can take extra time to be careful. He will stop and listen often to hear what might be ahead. He will continue in this manner until he sees, hears, smells a change in his situation. Behind him will follow Grumm, Timorel and Dorne who will be watching our back.

(OOC, this will be how Shybolt will be moving through unexplored passages in the area. Do you want me to say this everytime we move or just assume this is what I am doing unless something has altered the situation?)
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Dorne will look at the stonework as we descend, trying to get an idea of its age, quality, who built it, etc. If we are moving slow enough he will also check for any hidden or concealed doors/passages. Dorne will also throw frequent glances over his shoulder.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The stairs went down probably fifty or sixty feet before opening up into a large, damp room. In the room, the party saw a door almost directly across from them, and another in an alcove; three other corridors exited the room in different directions. The air in the room was sticky, damp, and musty.

See attached map, then tell me how you want to proceed.
Attachments
1301533973.55.png
1301533973.55.png (8.03 KiB) Viewed 16151 times
jstater

Post by jstater »

If the torches don't spoil it, Grumm will use his darkvision to take a gander down the various corridors without stepping into them.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Timorel has his bow with an arrow knocked in his left hand, a torch in his right. His normal move includes looking around for anything unusual on walls or etc., up at the ceiling and down at the floor, and about every few paces glancing back to check on Dorne.

(OOC to team: We don't have the coin for ink, so be aware we aren't mapping until we gather some coin, or knock over a stationer's shop.)

(OOC to Solomoriah: Timorel has Sleep memorized.)
Sir Bedivere
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Shybolt will remain his normal cautious self and inspect the floor, he'll scan the ceiling for creepy crawlies or anything else, listen carefully, then after Grumm finishes looking up the passage (and if he doesn't see anything that will change this plan) Shybolt will then scoot across the room to the west door, glancing up the North passage as he passes it. At the door he will listen for sounds on the other side.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Timorel will move to listen at the alcove door. He'll try to move silently from the corner so (he hopes) he won't be heard walking up to the door.
Sir Bedivere
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Dorne will move towards the center of the room, where he can keep an eye on each of his compainions, and the passages, hammer and shield at the ready.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Grumm walked carefully to the left and looked down the corridor; he could see as far as the corner, and there seemed to be nothing there. Shybolt, more cautious than Grumm, inspected the floor and ceiling before advancing to the far door; Timorel followed suit, quietly moving to the right to inspect that door. Dorne moved to the center of the room and waited there, ready for anything.

Grumm turned, looking for the next passage to investigate... and saw lizardlike humanoids with crested heads moving swiftly yet quietly into the room. Before anyone could respond, the humanoids fell upon them. One struck Timorel with both claws, then bit him; another clawed Grumm, inflicting a minor wound, while a third attacked Dorne, clawing him with both hands. Shybolt, standing back in the corner, saw at least two more approaching from the corridor.

Timorel took 7 points of damage.
Grumm took 4 points of damage.
Dorne took 6 points of damage.
Everyone has initiative in the second round except Grumm.
(Best die rolls I've made in years... sorry, guys...)