Prelude: They Met In A Tavern

This forum is for Solomoriah's playtest adventures in the town of Redbluff.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Prelude: They Met In A Tavern

Post by Solomoriah »

Grumm leaped forward to attack one of the kobolds dragging the woman. Seeing that a barrel dropped on a kobold had a good chance of hitting her also, he chose to stab the little monster instead. His strike was true, and the monster fell silently to the floor. Meanwhile, Shybolt struck his opponent again, and this time the kobold fell.

Dorne and Timorel moved forward, but before either could strike at the remaining kobold, it ducked between the barrels.

We're out of combat now. Shybolt has suffered 2 points of damage, while Grumm has taken 11.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Ignoring his injuries for the moment, Shybolt will access the room. He considered chasing after the dogface that escaped, but then thought better of it. The battle lust was falling off him and his wits were returning. He looked toward the wench saw she was still breathing and that the holy man was standing next to the severely injured Grumm and could tend to him. And then he looked closely at the dead dogfaces in the cellar. He searched as many as he can scooping up any coins and small items and hiding them away. He'll set aside anything large and valuable like weapons and armor, but he will keep one dagger if there are any close at hand. His goal is to scoop up as much as possible before the Reave arrives and takes over.
jstater

Post by jstater »

Grumm will allow his wounds to be tended and then get to work blocking the hole with barrels - anything heavy. At some point, he needs to grab his pole arm and then question the innkeeper about the hole.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

While Grumm's wounds are being tended, Timorel, dagger ready, steps into the tunnel and allows his eyes to adjust to the dark. What can he see?
Sir Bedivere
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

To be clear, I never said anything about a "hole." The kobolds were dragging the woman to a gap in the barrels. None of your characters have looked beyond that.

Shybolt quickly went over the bodies of the dead kobolds, finding only eleven copper pieces and a single silver piece in treasure. They had been armed with plain but serviceable shortswords and were wearing armor of similar make. He didn't see any distinguishing marks on them, neither clan tattoos nor painted marks on their armor.

Timorel stepped forward over the still-struggling woman to investigate the gap in the barrels. Between them, he could see a small hole in the wall, just at floor level, not quite three feet wide and no more than two feet tall. Beyond, he could see only darkness.

Though the cellar is gloomy, it's still too well lit for Timorel's nightvision to work.

I'll have to wait for orders for Dorne before I continue
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Dorne will cast a cure light wounds on Grumm, then check on the condition of the wench. He will use his other cure light wounds spell on either Grumm, Shybolt or the wench, whichever seems the most injured. He will then ask the wench what happened.

After all that Dorne will check out the tunnel, is it new? Does it seem to be going up or down?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Shybolt peripherally notices the shine of light as Dorne cast a healing spell on Grumm (feel free to ignore the shine of light if this magic does not involve light). He thensees Dorne cast his inspection over Shybolts wound and takes a closer look at it himself. "Tis a scratch," he proclaims, "you need not trouble yourself over it."

In his head, Shybolt adds up the coins he collects. Tis enough to cover my meal if anyone remembers to ask, he thinks to himself.
jstater

Post by jstater »

Once Grumm has retrieved his pole arm, he'll suggest blocking the hole in the cellar wall until everyone has assembled their gear and then doing a bit of exploration. He'll also hit up the reeve for a few men-at-arms to accompany them.

Finally, he'll ask the dwarf if the hole in the wall looks recently made? After all, dwarves are supposed to know these things.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Grumm receives 11 points of healing from two Cure Light Wounds spells, leaving Dorne with no prepared spells.

The serving wench seemed mostly uninjured. As soon as Dorne removed her gag, she said, "They jumped me from the darkness. I didn't have a chance. Gods only know what they'd have done with me if they'd gotten me to that hole. Thankee all for saving me." As soon as she was able, she went back up the stairs in a rush.

Having healed Grumm, Dorne moved to the hole in the wall. It appeared to him that there had once been a doorway, which had been cleverly bricked up. Clever for a human, anyway, but fairly obvious to a dwarf. The kobolds had apparently broken through the bricks at the bottom and come into the cellar from the space on the other side.

Looking through the hole, Dorne saw stairs descending.

Shortly the Reeve and the barkeep came down the steps. "Aye, friends, the Baron has many times told me that Redbluff is riddled with tunnels and caves. Seems someone wanted this one closed, long afore now." Upon being asked for assistance, he continued, "Nay, the Baron's rule is, none of his men go into any damn dirty caves. Those would be his words, nay mine. But I can't go against him. If ye'd like to investigate, I've no complaint, but ye'll have to work out the details with Harald here."

The barkeep, Harald apparently, said "I've no problem with you going in there, but as the landowner I think I deserve a percentage of any booty. If you'll give me ten percent, then it's a deal."
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Shybolt looks at the Barkeep, "Aha, more like you pay us a fee that amounts to 10% of the booty we find and keep for ourselves, then I'll help clean out this infestation you have here. But you'll have to throw in room and board as well for how ever long it takes."