Prelude: They Met In A Tavern

This forum is for Solomoriah's playtest adventures in the town of Redbluff.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Prelude: They Met In A Tavern

Post by Solomoriah »

Redbluff is a small village, buried in the wild frontier lands beyond the borders of civilization. Once, long ago, Redbluff was the site of a city in a great empire; but those days are gone, so far gone that no one remembers the name of that empire.

The man who rules Redbluff is called simply the Baron. If anyone knows his name, they don't dare use it. But though he is a hard man, the Baron is fair to all, and his taxes are light. Redbluff is a nearly lawless place where men and women go about armed and goblins and orcs occasionally come to town to trade.

Into this little village come four young adventurers, down on their luck. Each has his own reason for seeking out this place so far from civilization.

The first to enter the ramshackle old building is Shybolt Loam, a halfling. He sees the bartender wiping the bar with a dirty rag; he has a scraggly beard and equally scraggly hair, and a deep frown on his face. There are three tables in the building, but only one is occupied; four scruffy men of indeterminate age sit there, eating stew from mismatched bowls. A serving wench leans against the wall near the bar. She was probably once quite pretty, but now she looks worn and tired.

Hyway, you're on. Tell me what you do. I'll introduce the other characters as they appear.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Re: Prelude: They Met In A Tavern

Post by Hywaywolf »

Shybolt stops at the entrance to the tavern and takes in the room. After his initial glance around the room, noting the dour barkeep and the worn down wench, he closely examines the men at the table. Since he doesn't recognize any of them he assumes they don't know him. With a relaxed sigh he decides its safe to rest here here a while and eat something he didn't catch, skin and cook himself. With a nod to the serving wench he takes a table as far from the occupied one, and sits with his back to the wall, but where he can still see the door. When the wench arrives, he says,"Mead, thick and rich, and a hearty trencher of slice of mutton and gravy. Oh, and whatever vegetables you have in the back."
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The serving wench looks at Slybolt strangely for a moment. "We've got stew, and we've got ale. There's some vegetables in the stew, dunno what, the cook don't talk much. Bowl of stew is a silver piece, so's a mug of ale. You want some, or not?"

As Slybolt considered his options, Dorn Fellhammer trudged in from the rain.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Shybolt gives a tired smile and says, "well, one could only hope. I'll take the ale and the stew."
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

After a quick glance around the room, Dorne proceeds directly to the bartender says rather loudly " I am Dorne Fellhammer, servant of the Gods of Earth and Stone, I find myself in your town and short of coin, is there anyone about Redbluff who may be in need of a fine warhammer and the dwarf who swings it?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Shybolt winces. damn, he mutters to himself, not another broke stranger. Its gonna be hard to negotiate for work in exchange for my meal after I eat it, now. He checks the windows and doors for easy escape in case this goes badly when it comes time to pay up.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

For a moment, silence reigned within the tavern... and then, the locals all burst out laughing.

"As if anyone in this fleabitten place could afford to hire you," said the bartender at last, his smile looking somehow wrong on his dour face.

The serving wench turned to Shybolt. "I'll go get yer grub, little man." With that, she turned, still giggling, and went into the back of the tavern.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

The suddenness of the laughter startled Shybolt. His hand was half way to his dagger before he remembered that it wasn't in its usual place anymore. He'd traded it in the last village for rations to travel here. Besides, the laughter wasn't aimed at him. He shook off the flash of memory of townies laughter when once he was forced to leave a town wearing nothing but his small clothes and the word thief painted on his chest. A spark of comradeship rose between him and the dwarf at the bar. Along with an instant dislike for the townies.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Holding for a post from Maliki before I present the next victim, ah, player character...
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Dorne somewhat sheepishly, moves to the empty table and takes a seat, wishing to himself that he had not spent his coin so freely before setting out.