Season 2 - Episode 3: Abraham Hall

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

The Warren

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:"We were paid 1000 gp for our last adventure since the farmer chipped in. And some of us died. We were out for many days and had horses stolen from us.: What is this gem worth? Seems to me if this was going to be an easy job they wouldn't need to be bringing in outside help. We already know a whole gang has started rotting, and I doubt that all of them touched it, so it probably has an area effect. So we know its going to be a hellish job. I would think $25 gold each a day and $5000 for the return is more fair."
“No, no, no Master Halfling. That is NOT how civilised people in Westport conduct their affairs. Your colleague and I ..., “ nodding at Nivek, “... have agreed the terms of business and we will proceed along those lines. You would do well to follow the example of Master Tannen and direct your energies to the job in hand.”
Birthright wrote:Tannen also enquires as to the nature of this weir gang and their likely numbers, experience, armament and the possibility of spell-casters and a description of the gem...
Turning to Tannen: “there are, as far as I am aware, three gangs operating the Warren. Fortunately, the Weir Gang are located in the portion of the complex closest to the entrance. They mainly forge currency and trade in contraband and stolen goods. I believe their leader, Kurt Holger, has the gemstone in his possession.”

“From the Weir’s area, the Warren runs towards the river. The central part of the complex is run by the Lantinis. They are the most powerful gang in the Warren and are involved in all manner of illicit activities. On the southern edge of the complex, with access to the river, is the base of the Hydes. They are mainly smugglers and cut-throats.”

“To assist you in moving around the complex, I’ve managed to acquire the Weir’s password for today - ‘Sweet Hanna’. I don’t know either of other gangs’ passwords, but hopefully you shouldn’t need them

“The Warren itself is situated on the north bank of the river in one of the less salubrious areas of the city. It consists of part of the city’s sewer system and a series of old basements and cellars that have been sealed off and knocked together to make an underground complex.”

"As for the stone, it is roughly the size and shape of hen’s egg, polished, and predominantly blue and purple with white marbling. It’s quite distinctive."

"I think that’s all I can tell you. If there are no further questions I will call my physician to tend to the injured and arrange a meal for you before your departure."

Doughbert: 4/5
Leo: HP 3/11
Nivek: HP 7/11. Spells remaining: no 1st level; four 0 level.
~6 pm, 16th day of Leaffall
The Marketstone Campaign at Obsidian Portal
Hywaywolf

Re: Season 2 - Episode 3: Abraham Hall

Post by Hywaywolf »

"I'll direct my energies to finding a temple with which to clean my soul. Good day to you."
With that Doughbert turns away and walks out the way he came in and back down the alley. Hopefully someone will come with him, If not he will stop at the front entrance and think about how best to get to the south-west temple district.
Birthright

Season 2 - Episode 3: Abraham Hall

Post by Birthright »

Glancing at the departed halfling, Tannen interjects... "Mr Hall. Apologies, but would you mind if our group retired for a few moments to consider your offer? Nivek doesn't speak for all of us and it would seem that we may need to consider some further.... negotiation of terms here."
_Silveredged

Post by _Silveredged »

JoeCarr28 wrote: "I think that’s all I can tell you. If there are no further questions I will call my physician to tend to the injured and arrange a meal for you before your departure."
The half-elf smiles and nods, "Much appreciated, sir. Might I ask, though," he offers a slight bow, "without seeming impertinent, could you explain why we are in such a dire rush to have this gem returned to you with such haste? I understand the desire to have stolen property returned as soon as possible, but you seem to have set such specific time constraints, by dawn, you said?"

Leo pauses a moment, considering, "I appreciate the amount of information you have provided, but I can't help wondering, sir, if perhaps you may have left something out of the telling? Anything at all, as you never know what might aid us in retrieving your property all the quicker."
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
JoeCarr28

Tonight's the Night

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:"I'll direct my energies to finding a temple with which to clean my soul. Good day to you."
With that Doughbert turns away and walks out the way he came in and back down the alley. Hopefully someone will come with him, If not he will stop at the front entrance and think about how best to get to the south-west temple district.
"Oh, don't worry about him ... more gold for you gentlemen, eh?"
Birthright wrote:Glancing at the departed halfling, Tannen interjects... "Mr Hall. Apologies, but would you mind if our group retired for a few moments to consider your offer? Nivek doesn't speak for all of us and it would seem that we may need to consider some further.... negotiation of terms here."
"You may, of course, take a few moments to consider the offer, but there can be no further negotiations over the fee now that it has been agreed. However, please do bear in mind that if you were to come across any other items of value during the course of your assignment, then I would make no claim on those. I only want the gem. I'm sure a resourceful group such as yourselves will find a way to supplement your income."
_Silveredged wrote:The half-elf smiles and nods, "Much appreciated, sir. Might I ask, though," he offers a slight bow, "without seeming impertinent, could you explain why we are in such a dire rush to have this gem returned to you with such haste? I understand the desire to have stolen property returned as soon as possible, but you seem to have set such specific time constraints, by dawn, you said?"
"The time pressure is dictated solely by the box. As I've already explained, it is enchanted to surpress any effects of the gem for 12 hours only. I've gone to considerable trouble and expense to obtain the box for tonight. Therefore the job must be done tonight. If not by you, then by someone else.
_Silveredged wrote:Leo pauses a moment, considering, "I appreciate the amount of information you have provided, but I can't help wondering, sir, if perhaps you may have left something out of the telling? Anything at all, as you never know what might aid us in retrieving your property all the quicker."
"I'm not sure I like the tone of what you might be insinuating Master Half-Elf, but I believe I have relayed all the pertinent facts."

_Silveredged

Post by _Silveredged »

JoeCarr28 wrote: "The time pressure is dictated solely by the box. As I've already explained, it is enchanted to surpress any effects of the gem for 12 hours only. I've gone to considerable trouble and expense to obtain the box for tonight. Therefore the job must be done tonight. If not by you, then by someone else.
"I'm not sure I like the tone of what you might be insinuating Master Half-Elf, but I believe I have relayed all the pertinent facts."
"Tone or no," Leo replies, "this must mean you already have someone other than us lined up to retrieve the artifact. After all, what if the caravan had been delayed another day? A broken carriage wheel would have set us back and then your magic box would have been wasted entirely. If the box could have been enchanted at any time, why not wait until you had secured a workforce, instead of this way? Do not misunderstand me, Mr. Hall," the half-elf days, "If my associates desire to carry out your request, we will do so to the best of our ability. But the difficulty level is raised by your own incompetence for which WE have to pay, and as you can see," he grins, "we are apparently incompetent enough on our own and we do indeed wish to be paid commensurate with completing the task."
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Through the exchange, Mandross has been standing to the rear, listening intently. The fact that he hasn't said anything in over ten minutes, and is actually awake, is somewhat disconcerting.

It seems that between Nivek (securing a contract), Tannen (Establishing face), and Leo (clearly (if somewhat rudely) raising concerns), the party has negotiations under control for the moment. He considers asking Paladin to retrieve Doughbert, but decides that leaving Paladin unsupervised for the length of the hallway might lead to more trouble. Or a fire. Mandross mumbles to whomever is closest (most likely Gannicus) "Back in a bit", and quietly ducks out to search for Doughbert.
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Doughbert, unsure what to do now, begins to wander around the first floor of the residence, taking nothing but looking closely at whatever may seem interesting. He'll keep an out out for henchmen and servants especially listening for anyone who might be trying to listen in on what is going on in the office with Hall and the others.
JoeCarr28

"Let me spell it out for you"

Post by JoeCarr28 »

_Silveredged wrote:"Tone or no," Leo replies, "this must mean you already have someone other than us lined up to retrieve the artifact. After all, what if the caravan had been delayed another day? A broken carriage wheel would have set us back and then your magic box would have been wasted entirely. If the box could have been enchanted at any time, why not wait until you had secured a workforce, instead of this way? Do not misunderstand me, Mr. Hall," the half-elf days, "If my associates desire to carry out your request, we will do so to the best of our ability. But the difficulty level is raised by your own incompetence for which WE have to pay, and as you can see," he grins, "we are apparently incompetent enough on our own and we do indeed wish to be paid commensurate with completing the task."
(Becoming increasingly exacerperated) "OK. One last time. And this is the last time. Let me spell it out for you. There are plenty of people here in Westport who could do the job for me. But this is not the sort of operation with which the Hall family are normally associated. There are certain advantages to hiring outsiders. Bertrand recommended you. I knew you were due to arrive today. I arranged for the box to be delivered today. If you hadn't turned up I would have got one of my local teams to do it. If you turn around and walk away now, I will still get one of my local teams to do it. They, at least, will be glad of the coin."

"Now for those who want the job and are hungry," he looks at Paladin, "my chef is in the kitchen and at your disposal. For those who want the job and are injured," he looks at Nivek,"I will call my physician. For those who do not want the job and have forgotten their manners, "he looks at Leo, "you are at liberty to leave through the front door. It is a simple offer of employment. You deliver the gem, you get paid. You walk away, I hire somene else. Now, for the final time, do you want this job or not? Yes, or no?"

You sense that Hall is on the verge of losing his patience.

JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:Doughbert, unsure what to do now, begins to wander around the first floor of the residence, taking nothing but looking closely at whatever may seem interesting. He'll keep an out out for henchmen and servants especially listening for anyone who might be trying to listen in on what is going on in the office with Hall and the others.
Hall has no shortage of servants. There is one outside the study door throughout your meeting, and a second who follows you as you walk towards the front door. As you approach the front door, he politely opens it for you.

Just as you're pondering your next move, Mandross appears by your side, with a third servant in tow.