Season 2 - Episode 1: Bertie's Boys

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Season 2 - Episode 1: Bertie's Boys

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Morward, the pony-tailed bandit leader that you defeated in the Coastwood Caves, didn’t always make the smartest decisions in life. If he could have his time again, he’d probably just let you take Alma. Or maybe he’d claim the reward himself. As it was, buoyed by his own bravado, he ended up pin-cushioned by Paladin and Hiker.

But there was one thing Morward was right about. And that was the fact that Kitchener would end up getting all the credit and plaudits for your hard work.

Oh, sure enough, for the first few days after returning to Marketstone, you were the toast of The Wheatsheaf. But somehow, over time, that changed. “New” versions of the story emerged. Yesterday evening, Nivek was particularly disgruntled to overhear someone recounting how Kitchener himself had led you all into battle and how he'd defeated Morward in one-on-one combat (although, if truth be told, Kitchener hasn’t been the only one embellishing the tale; on more than one occasion you’ve heard how a brave halfling rescued Alma - and Karl - from the clutches a ferocious minotaur ...).

Two weeks on from Alma’s safe return, many residents in Marketstone can’t even remember your names. Most now refer to you collectively as “Bertie’s Boys“ (although never within earshot of Kitchener himself). Whilst you don’t like it, Kitchener himself can be uncannily persuasive and has a knack of never taking “no” for an answer. That’s how you find yourselves standing in his office one evening awaiting your next assignment …

“Right team, ...“, your lord and master begins, “Got another little job for yer. Nuthin’ too tricky this time. No goblins or nuthin’. Just a little collection and delivery job for a business associate o’ mine, Abraham Hall, down in Westport.”

He continues with barely a pause. “Now, I know yer a little short-handed since dumb and dumber took off, so I’ve found yer a couple fresh faces. Big un’s Gannicus - dab hand wi’ a pair of swords 'e is. Little un’s Leo - knows ‘is way ‘round the countryside, so you shouldn’t go gettin’ yerselves lost.”

Before you can even think about exchanging pleasantries with your new party members, Kitchener carries on with his monologue. “I’ve arranged transport for yer with one o' the merchants. He’ll be leavin’ for Westport with his wagons firs’ thing in the mornin’. He’ll be glad of ‘avin’ a few extra swords - yer can’t be too careful on that road. He’ll drop you off at the Hall residence in Westport, and Abe'll fill you in on all the details. Oh, and I turned yer stolen ‘orses over to the militia as well. Best if we avoid any entanglements wi’ the law, eh? Got a nice reward though - ‘ere’s yer share. No need to thank me.” Kitchener throws Tannen a leather pouch with 30 gold pieces in it.

“Right, as is customary before a new job we’ll ‘ave ourselves a little drink”, and he pulls the familiar set of grimy glasses and a half-bottle of fiery liquor from his desk drawer and pours you each a generous measure.

~4 pm, 14th day of Leaffall
Marketstone at Obsidian Portal
_Silveredged

Re: Season 2 - Episode 1: Bertie's Boys

Post by _Silveredged »

Leo stays standing, motionless, in the corner, watching the exchange between Bertie and the boys. He carefully sizes up the men he's been companioned with, trying to discern fact from fable of the stories he has heard from Bertie and the other folks in town.

This should be interesting, he thinks, waiting to see how they all react before doing anything himself.
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
Arehzo

Post by Arehzo »

Gannicus stands in the corner of the room watching everyone but making no attempt to interact. He's taken little interest in the comings and goings of the townspeople, but even he has heard of this crew. He waits to see how everyone responds. He makes no move towards the drinks that are poured.

Gannicus, Human Fighter
BFRPG: Marketstone Campaign
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nivek makes his way to the drinks, "Here's to new opportunity. Honest pay for honest work." Nivek raises his glass to acknowledge his companions and the new faces. "So when are we off, Boys?"
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Hopefully not too much honest work...

Mandross is never one to turn down a cordial greeting, cordial toast for luck, or anything else involving cordials. But Bertie's rotgut will do. Plus he's got to move fast before Paladin takes the lot.

He joins Nivek in his raising of the glass. "New opportunities, and new faces. Sláinte*"

* - or whatever it is elves say for a toast.
Go with a smile!
_Silveredged

Post by _Silveredged »

"I believe the word you were trying was Suilad, which is more of a greeting. However, Almién, is more appropraite for a toast," Leo says quietly, but clearly.

Leo simply nodded to the former circus worker and offered a polite smile. He meant it well, but somehow the smile comes off a little wrong as Leo is not used to such interaction. He then clears his throat and glances at the others.
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Doughbert ignores the alcohol on the desk and eyes the bag of gold tossed to Tannen and shakes his head. "I'm not sure why you took it on yourself to dispose of our property and for so little gold in return. Not much can be doin about it now except express my displeasure and request that you don't take such liberties with other folks property in the future if you expect them to stay in your employ. My Lord, Master Loche, would not cast his favor on me if I were to allow such a thing to continue. And I am sure his healing favor is quite likely to come in handy on any job you commission us for. Now, speaking of jobs. What manner of compensation are we looking at?"
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin reaches out and and takes a glass, drinks it and says, "Sniihm!" He then drinks Benoni's glass, counts the glasses, realizes Benoni doesn't have a glass, and counts it as Doughberts. He looks around for Benoni, wondering where he's gotten to.

This merchants isn't short a couple of guards is he? Paladin idly inquires. He reaches out for Nivek's glass and finds it empty. Frowning, he adds, "Plus we can't work on an empty stomach now, can we? We'll need provisions and whatnot."

Paladin decides the new guys don't really need both their drinks. He snags another glass with his off-hand.
Last edited by Iain_IF on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

Tannen nods politely in the direction of the newcomers. "Well met, I am Tannen. The dwarf is Nivek, Paladin is the thirsty one, Doughbert is the other halfling, and over there is Mandross."

Tannen then quickly grabs one of the drinks before Paladin scoffs the lot. Swirling the drink around in the glass, Tannen addresses Kitchener.

"If I might be so bold as to enquire about terms of payment for this latest, job...."
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Anyone have a sense how far Marketstone is from Westport? mutters Paladin to the others. I have some honey I wanted to drop off.