Interludes Between Adventures

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

Birthright

Re: Tannen's Armour

Post by Birthright »

JoeCarr28 wrote:
Birthright wrote:Platemail is listed as 300gp.

How much credit would Tannen get for his chainmail (purchase price was 60gp) and (old, non-magical) longsword (purchase price 10gp)? He'll point out to the armour vendor that the chainmail is in very good condition - maybe Karl can repair the damage from the foray into the goblin and bandit lairs?

Hopefully Tannen can afford his new armour and have a little spending money left on the side.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Markerstone is not the armour trading capital of the known world. The best (indeed only) offer from a rather opportunistic merchant is your old sword, chainmail and 350 gp for a set of plate.
OK. Tannen is short 52gp then. Donations anyone?
Hywaywolf

Re: Interludes Between Adventures

Post by Hywaywolf »

Since mandross would like to run to westport, maybe we should put off in more actions until we get there and you could probably get armor at normal price plus your chain and sword should sell for 20-30 gp. Or is there anyone in our group that needs chainmail?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Our would-be employer doesn't want us scooting off, and I've not the resources to truly make it a worthwhile venture. If we really want to press the issue, we might be able to explain to Kitchener the vital need for the trip, though I've got misgivings on that. He's got something going on, his new friends look a bit suspicious, and I'd like to play dumb and obedient until we learn his angle on all of this.
JoeCarr28 wrote:Perhaps unsurprisingly, Markerstone is not the armour trading capital of the known world. The best (indeed only) offer from a rather opportunistic merchant is your old sword, chainmail and 350 gp for a set of plate.
(OOC: Oy.)

Mandross can spot Tannen the difference (What protects the fighter protects the magician), but he'd like to try and double-team the merchant and haggle down the price a bit. I mean look at this gear! Yes, it's seen action, but it is of solid make. The chain is well oiled and cared for. The sword - yes, see the strikes on it? It's taken that with nary a bend! A superior weapon if I'd ever seen. How? Fighting bandits to keep the roads safer - for travelers and merchants alike!

And really, for this armor? It's solid, but it hasn't seen the care that our Sergeant Tannen expects in such gear. It'll take days to get this properly set and cared for... and these buckles are a mess!

Though I'm sure Tannen is far more knowledgeable of these things...

If he refuses to budge, maybe he would be so gracious as to include free coin exchange in his rather exorbitant offer. A man with such costly wares would clearly have plentiful cash, and must be trading in such volume that the type of coin he uses is of little concern.
Go with a smile!
JoeCarr28

Paladin's Recruitment

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Iain_IF wrote:Suave, debonair halfling seeks strong right arm for adventure!Gold, treasure, and excitement await! Make your fortune! Meet goblins, kill them! Receive upfront pay, commission, and hazard pay! Must be able to walk, carry a torch, and lift a halfling with one hand! For interview and tryout, see the halfling at the Wheatsheaf. No, the drunk one.
Paladin posts his advertisement in the common room of The Wheatsheaf and on the noticeboard in the market square. Confident that it will yield results, he waits for the applications to start flooding in ...
JoeCarr28

Tannen's Armour

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Joe the Rat wrote:Mandross can spot Tannen the difference (What protects the fighter protects the magician), but he'd like to try and double-team the merchant and haggle down the price a bit. I mean look at this gear! Yes, it's seen action, but it is of solid make. The chain is well oiled and cared for. The sword - yes, see the strikes on it? It's taken that with nary a bend! A superior weapon if I'd ever seen. How? Fighting bandits to keep the roads safer - for travelers and merchants alike!

And really, for this armor? It's solid, but it hasn't seen the care that our Sergeant Tannen expects in such gear. It'll take days to get this properly set and cared for... and these buckles are a mess!
Mandross works the merchant like a true showman [rolls], but the merchant's heard it all before. The original offer stands.
JoeCarr28

Money Exchange

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Joe the Rat wrote:If he refuses to budge, maybe he would be so gracious as to include free coin exchange in his rather exorbitant offer. A man with such costly wares would clearly have plentiful cash, and must be trading in such volume that the type of coin he uses is of little concern.
There is a jeweller/money-lender/bank in Marketstone. What do you want to exchange?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I'll still spot Tannen the difference. Interest free, even.
JoeCarr28 wrote:There is a jeweller/money-lender/bank in Marketstone. What do you want to exchange?
(Assuming we couldn't get it this way before) I'm inclined to move about 100-150 gp into platinum (20-30 coins). With a little luck we'll be hauling in more goodies, and I don't want to load both Jumbles and Mandross down with the current pocket change before we start. I'm just trying to watch the exchange losses.

As for banking... well, let's just say Mandross was raised to always be friendly to the locals, but never arrange things so you have to return to a town, just in case things go sideways. Unless they are so advanced in their practices as to write script deposit good for retrieval at other branches/ locations of said bank/guild, in which case I will thank Holo for the advancements in monetary management in this world, and consider a deposit, provided fees are not too ridiculous.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nivek spend his time in training in whatever manner can be accomplished locally.

OOC: I intend to spend 250gp on Experience Points. Additionally, he spends 30gp in various forms of 'tithe', charity, and materials for works that the Forge Lord would look favorably on (which would likely benefit the local smiths too). He intends to make arrangements for local lodging or a room of sorts with one of the local smiths, where he might have some access to forges and secure storage (for the future). This will leave Nivek at about 20gp left in the end, before any cash needs to be spent on such lodging.

Let me know when the XP on character sheet can be updated or if I need to take other steps before doing so.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

A quick word on training, that applies to everyone ...

As well as having the necessary cash, you will need to find a suitable trainer. Fighters (particularly low level fighters) should be able to find someone from the Marketstone militia to instruct them.

I assume that Nivek and Doughbert will need to return to their respective temples for proper study and reflection. This will probably require a trip to Westport. Similarly Mandross will either need to find a friendly wizard (he doesn't know of one, nor does anyone else he might ask in Marketstone), or make a trip to the Academy of Arcane Arts in Westport.
JoeCarr28

Currency Exchange

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Joe the Rat wrote:(Assuming we couldn't get it this way before) I'm inclined to move about 100-150 gp into platinum (20-30 coins).
The standard rate of commission for currency exchange at the Marketstone money-lender is 2%, with a minimum charge of 2 gp.

So 20 pp will cost you 102 gp; 30 pp costs 153 gp.