Season 1 - Episode 7: Homeward Bound

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Re: Season 1 - Episode 7: Homeward Bound

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Joe the Rat wrote: Mmm... this is a fine cider, Alan. Your make?"
"Aye, lad ... gold medallist at the Marketstone Show for the last four years straight, despite the nefarious attempts of old Farmer Muckleton to nobble me apple trees."

-----

The following morning, before you set out for Marketsone, Doughbert, Mandross and Nivek lay-out all the loot and equipment you gathered from the Coastwood Caves. The dwarf calls on the Forge Lord to show him those that are enchanted (Smoot PM-ed).

Doughbert: HP 5/5. 1 '0' level spell remaining today.
Hiker: HP 16/16.
Karl: HP 8/8.
Mandross: HP 5/5. 2 '0' level and 1 1st level spells remaining today.
Nivek: HP 11/11. 4 '0' level and no 1st level spells remaining today.
Paladin: HP 8/8.
Tannen: HP 11/11.
~9 am, 30th day of Harvestide.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

"Seems we have come across some items with the tell-tale signs of enchantment. I cannot fathom the specifics of the items, but it seems the Shaman's Ring (gold w/ murky-brown gemstone) is magical. The sword and armor from the bandit leader also detects as such."

Nivek continues, "I think it would be safe to assume they are not of any sort of fabulous value, and not likely to be harmful to most users, else they would not have been utilizing them. The ring might be usable by any of us, but certainly the sword and human-sized armor need to go to our warrior friend." Nivek looks inquisitively to the others for any comments.

OOC: Ring is something useable by shaman (cleric or MU or some combination), my gut tells me something like Protection; I doubt the weapon/armor is more than simple +1, if that makes division of treasure any easier to imagine.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin's eyebrows almost reach his hairline when Nivek talks about enchantments! In the light of day, a well-rested Paladin will closely look at the silver amulet; gold ring with murky brown gemstone; 6 carved wooden statues, each with a single gem; and the silver service. Having had more than a passing acquaintance with pawning dropped, lost, and otherwise acquired items, he turns his appraising eye over the items. What do I think this is worth? he murmurs as he gently pokes and prods things with a stick.

The presence of the enchanted stuff makes dividing up the loot more of a challenge, Paladin says. There are 6 of us (me, Karl, Nivek, Hiker, Tannen, and Doughbert) plus Mandross, but only 3 enchanted thingamabobs. I totally agree with the dwarf that one of you tall folk is best suited to the armor, but I could wield the sword with two hands. And the ring! Paladin's eyes glow. It is precious, yessssss. Paladin gives himself a little shake.

Where was I? Right, money. We all got together for money. We might stay together to settle those goblins or pay back Barney for all his hard work. But then again, we might not. I don't think we should plan on exchanging promises or debts or IOUs or tattoos or any of those things, Paladin says. None of this, "You take this one and I'll take the next one stuff." I might be dead before the next one is found, and I could be drinking and getting my feet rubbed in the meantime with a bigger share of the treasure!

I say we divide the treasure up fair and square and let those who want the enchanted items take smaller shares of stuff. While I had this great wish for a huge party, now I think its better to divide everything 10 ways and then count each of the 3 magic items individually. That will make 13 shares. Each of the original six get 2 shares each; One share for Mandross. So you can get a magic item and 1 share of cash, 2 shares of cash, or 2 magic items. Not that anyone will take 2 magic items, but you understand my point,
says Paladin. Once I have a better sense of the value of the goods, I can tell whether they are so valuable they need to be sold because they can't be a share, or if they can just be balanced with gold. I'd like a nice set of silver service for my table. Of course, I'd like a table too. And a place to put the table. Maybe the silver service isn't such a good idea.

Paladin eyes Doughbert. I guess we'll have to do it in town after we sell off the dead's weapons, he says. That will make some of us happier than leaving it here.

Paladin pulls a scone out of his pocket, gets up on his short-reined horse, and thinks of the Chubb sisters.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Doughbert listens to Paladin intently and only occasionally does he figuratively poke him with a stick to get on with it. He agrees with all that is said. He is amazed by the confidence and good sense shown by his brother halfling when he is not under threat of imminent death, or perhaps its just that he has enough alcohol in him to feel normal again.

During a lull in the activities, he will talk with the farmer about the possibility of purchasing a wagon to go with the horse he has liberated. He isn't to keen on riding such a large beast, but sitting on a cushioned seat and handling reins and whip like a gentleman is something he could enjoy. Not to mention the need for a secure place to store the party's treasure trove and supplies.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Mandross listens to Paladin sagely, and finds himself longing for a pipe. When Paladin "discusses" the ring, he gives NIvek a "see what I mean" look.

"Master Paladin has a great deal of sense in this. I suspect the award-winning cider may have sharpened him a bit. Perhaps we could see about a small barrel of cider of that mind-enhancing cider for a common 14th share. Lucky number and whatnot.

I would like to see if we can discern what the ring does - that may better inform who would benefit most from it."

Any thoughts on testing - any volunteers, besides Paladin? Mandross will at least try it on to see if he can feel any immediate effects.
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

(ooc: its always been my opinion that whoever tries a magic item - ring, weapon, armor, potion - keeps its, because first they risked their life if its a potion and 2nd because if its cursed, they won't let it go anyway. So that would mean you'd have to select it as part of the treasure share. )
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

(ooc: You know how wizards are about rings... I'm interested if nobody else wants it. If it is a protection type, it'd probably do more good in the hands of a more frontline-ish type - and the rest have a better claim to it.
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

(ooc: I always look at rings of protection (we don't know thats what it is) as armor for thieves and magic users who can't wear armor, normal or magic.

So how should we decide the order of choice on selection of the shares? Roll a 20 sided die? Go in descending order first then if any magic items are left after everyone has chosen we reverse the order and go until they are gone.)
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

Hywaywolf wrote:So how should we decide the order of choice on selection of the shares? Roll a 20 sided die? Go in descending order first then if any magic items are left after everyone has chosen we reverse the order and go until they are gone.)
OOC: This sounds fair to me. Hopefully Tannen might get the sword or the magical chain armour!
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

OOC: Random die roll to determine order is good with me.

Paladin agrees with Doughbert about the person who tries an enchanted item on should be the person who keeps it. It's all about gambling. Do you take the unidentified ring that you maybe can't use or some money that you certainly can, he avers.