Season 1 - Episode 6: The Bandit Caves

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

Hywaywolf

Re: Season 1 - Episode 6: The Bandit Caves

Post by Hywaywolf »

(OOC: Doughbert went to sleep around 7 pm, how long will it be before he is feeling well enough to get up and help paladin search the cave complex? in other words, how many hours of rest to get a hp and/or use his orisons? so if its 4 hours he will awake at 11pm if its 8 hours he will awake at 3 am.)

At some point during the night, Doughbert will wake up feeling well enough to move about. assuming he and karl are still in the same room he will wake up karl and perform a minor healing orison on him to get him mobile as well. (If he hasn't had enough sleep yet to earn back a HP doughbert will perform both orisons on him.) His first order will be to eat whatever food he can find, then go through the storeroom and restock as much as his adventuring supplies as he can find, including arrows and a good bow. (OOC: let me know what can't be found here from my normal kit).

Once he is back to full adventuring gear, Doughbert will start collecting all the weapons and armor, bows, arrows, bolts, etc that are in working order. His attention is to sell them to the town that will have the duel purpose of keeping them out of the hands of any bandits that find there way here and also to help the town defend itself. He will take as many sacks and rope as it takes to tie them up into tight pack load for the horses. He will suggest to any that are awake that we use 1 horse for Alma to ride and the rest as pack horses to haul out as much treasure as possible. Once he has collected the weapons, he will assist Paladin with his list. Most likely searching for secret doors and compartments. he will start in the rear treasure room and work his way outward. taking as much time as he has before the rest of the party is to depart.
_Silveredged

Re: Paladin in Action

Post by _Silveredged »

JoeCarr28 wrote: Alma smiles weakly as Hiker presents her with the dresses, and gives him a little kiss on the cheek. "Thank you Hiker, that's very kind. But let's save such niceties until we're safely back at Northridge."

(Karl is happy to donate his mace to Hiker if he wants it; he still has his longsword as his main weapon.)
Hiker does his best to stow the dresses away in sacks for the return to the farm safely. He smiles broadly at Karl for the gift of the mace. He immediately finds enough free space to start swinging it wildly, getting the feel of the weapon. Swords seemed to require skills that he just didn't have, but the mace was not complicated at all.

He returns and takes his seat watching over Alma, listening to the others as they talk. He liked Tannen's story about doing good and that's what he wanted to do. See the whole wide world and help people.

While Hiker sits, he mumbles a phrase a few times under his breath.

"My feet are set on the outward trails
And the call of the roistering sea.
My wings are spread on the outbound gales
And the paths that are long and free."
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

If doughbert finds a hand mirror and or any silver weapons/arrows he will pick up those as well, otherwise he'll wait to he gets to a outpost and buy those there.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin knows that Doughbert places a high value on secret door searching, so Paladin wants to hold up his end of the bargain. Paladin prioritizes the treasure room, Morward's room and the dwarf's room before other places. Paladin doesn't see much value to hanging about resting when there is treasure to be found. He'd rather be tired tomorrow and have searched for doors all night than well-rested and not searched. Plus, he has wine!

Paladin suggests to the others far away from Karl and the jail cells, "We really should put these good men we have captured to some sort of use. They could carry torches, or do latrine duty," he says. "They've done nothing to us, so I'd feel sad if they fell to the noose when we could have changed their ways. Plus, they fought goblins! That must count for something. Paladin pauses. "They could carry Karl! I think it unwise to let Barnaby kill them in cold blood, like he did the goblins. It's bad karma. I also don't think we can easily get them back to Northridge under lock and key. Best to either leave them here or coopt them into our service." Paladin thinks for a moment. "And perhaps we'll need something burnt down in the future. You can't let skills like that go to waste."

Paladin bags up the coins in 100 coin allotments, mixing the coins back together. He'll also stow the silver service neatly. If we have to run, toss a bag of coin behind us as a distraction, he suggests. Plus, this way we don't lose everything if a few bags get nicked.

Paladin will choose a horse from the farm near Northridge to carry his stuff. He'll also feed it some root vegetables and talk kindly to it, since he knows that horses are devilspawn. Then he'll shorten the reins so that he can ride the horse.

Absent finding any secret doors, the sleepy halfling is ready to depart in the morning.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Though his player is somewhat forgetful, Mandross would have thanked Nivek for the meal and blessing.

In response to Tannen: "Ah yes. The Mists of Morpheus can be quite handy in a difficult situation... if you're not already surrounded. It does take a lot out of me, so I will need rest before I can ready it again... Mmm, that wine seems to make friend Paladin rather energetic. He looks like he'll be going for a few hours like that. You may want to grab an extra bottle for emergencies.

I would be happy to join your group. It was a casual surprise I had in mind, and I would like to see how this story ends. Though my part is small, it would make for a fine story to tell over drinks."

on Tannen's story: "haha... best to keep Master Twofoot from spending too much time with the coins - though I suspect he'd spend them soon enough. Nothing wrong with branching out from the family business. Of course, half of the people I grew up with did that, or had other reasons to be very mobile. The other half... well, that is the family business."

Barnaby is a fine bear, and clearly has more important things to do than have a chat. Noting Paladin's energy and quick hands, he considers teaching him a trick. Maybe later.

Mandross would be inclined to search in the rooms for secret doors, up until he needs to stop to rest. When Mandross is sufficiently rested, he will take the time to prep Sleep again, then help with the loading, making sure the two horses are evenly balanced. He'll also suggest using the bedrolls for added padding, to make sure they aren't rubbed badly.

When Doughbert is up and around, he will inquire to his health, and the nature of the key he wears.
Go with a smile!
JoeCarr28

Through the Night

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Birthright wrote:{Where did we 'hole up' again?}
Nivek said "near the horses", so I took this to mean the dwarf's room.

Birthright wrote:{OOC: What is the local burial custom in these lands? Is a mass cremation acceptably civilized given the disreputable lives of the fallen? Would leaving the corpses to rot where they lie seem uncivilised? If so, Tannen will use the horses to move the bodies of the bandits out of the cave to create a funeral pyre.}
This is a matter of personal philosophy. There's no universally accepted view. Some would want to see the bodies buried or cremated. Old Man Coastwood would probably view their death as no different from any other creature's death in the forest and be happy to leave their bodies to scavengers. Others might be content to leave the bandit scum to rot. It's your call.

Hywaywolf wrote:(OOC: Doughbert went to sleep around 7 pm, how long will it be before he is feeling well enough to get up and help paladin search the cave complex? in other words, how many hours of rest to get a hp and/or use his orisons? so if its 4 hours he will awake at 11pm if its 8 hours he will awake at 3 am.)

(By the book, a minimum of 6 hours modified by a character's CON bonus. Which makes 6 hours for Doughbert, or 1 am).

Doughbert awakes in the early hours of the morning feeling somewhat better, but still stiff and sore. He tends to Karl, bestowing the blessing of Master Loche upon the worst of the fighter's wounds. Karl also gingerly gets to his feet.

(I think I got this wrong previously - other Joe pointed it out to me - but spellcasters only get a number of 0 level spells equal to their level + relevant ability bonus, which is 1 per day, not 2 per day, for Doughbert. One is enough to revive Karl though).

Once mobile, Doughbert replenishes his adventuring gear and starts gathering the bandits' weaponry, hoping to sell it in Marketstone. He doesn't find a mirror or any silver weapons though (the dinner service doesn't count, no matter how hard you frisbee those plates).

(It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, but I suggest that I resolve the secret door situation when I know the time at which you plan to leave the caves. In that way we'll all know exactly how long you've been searching for).

Doughbert: HP 1/5. No '0' level spells remaining today.
Hiker: HP 16/16.
Karl: HP 1/8.
Mandross: HP 5/5. 2 '0' level and no 1st level spells remaining today.
Nivek: HP 11/11. No '0' level spells remaining today.
Paladin: HP 8/8.
Tannen: HP 8/11.
~1 am, 29th day of Harvestide.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin claps Karl hardily on the shoulder and passes him a half-empty bottle of wine, apparently of a good vintage according to Mandross. Drink up, he says. It'll help focus you! I've looked at these walls here, but not at those walls there. Bend an eye, an ear, and a stout rap with the butt of this short sword to the walls. Holler if it's hollow.

OOC: At 1 foot per minute searching for secret doors, assuming a person searches from 1 am to 6 am (sunrise or so), one can search 300 linear feet, or 30 ten foot sections of 10 foot high walls. The dwarf's room is at most 10 ten foot sections. Not saying everyone wants to do it, but for Doughbert, Paladin and anyone who joins them can cover some serious yardage. Of course, those folk will have gone without sleep after a rough day, but it can't be worse than a night of carousing at the pubs or cramming for exams.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Doughbert sees Paladin searching the treasure room and discusses with him what rooms have already been searched. He'll then immediately begin searching in the areas that Paladin tells him still needs searching.
JoeCarr28

Searching, Searching ...

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Iain_IF wrote:Paladin claps Karl hardily on the shoulder and passes him a half-empty bottle of wine, apparently of a good vintage according to Mandross. Drink up, he says. It'll help focus you! I've looked at these walls here, but not at those walls there. Bend an eye, an ear, and a stout rap with the butt of this short sword to the walls. Holler if it's hollow.
Karl pointedly ignores the halfling, preferring instead to assist Tannen and the others with the disposal of the dead bodies and the gathering of loot and equipment. As he's already rested, he'll also take his turn on watch.

Whilst the others go about their business or rest, the two halflings begin their search for secret doors. At this time of year, the sun does indeed rise just before 06:00, so they've got a full 5 hours of searching ahead of them (Doughbert has already rested, and Paladin foregoes sleep in the pursuit of secret goodness). It takes the pair just over 3 hours to search the treasure cavern, Morward's room and the dwarf's room [rolls], but disappointingly they uncover nothing. In the remaining time they investigate the storeroom and the two common rooms [rolls], but their searches there are equally fruitless.

Come the morning, the bodies have been disposed of, the party (apart from Paladin) are rested, the casters have prepared their spells for the day, and the horses are loaded and ready to depart.

(What's the plan - will you depart now, and if so, in what direction?)

Doughbert: HP 1/5. No '0' level spells remaining today.
Hiker: HP 16/16.
Karl: HP 1/8.
Mandross: HP 5/5. 2 '0' level and no 1st level spells remaining today.
Nivek: HP 11/11. No '0' level spells remaining today.
Paladin: HP 8/8.
Tannen: HP 9/11.
~6 am, 29th day of Harvestide.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

If anyone has a any healing powers available, Karl and I sure would like to feel a might better.