Season 1 - Episode 4: The Goblin Caves

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post by JoeCarr28 »

The tree-line essentially forms a semi-circle around the cave mouth. From any point on the tree-line, there's a clear ten yards or so to the cave.

Are you going to try remain hidden within the trees to the left and right of the entrance as you attempt lure the goblins out (i.e. at a distance of about ten yards)?

Or are you going to leave the cover of the trees and position yourself tightly against the cliff face, immediately to the left and right of the entrance (i.e. much closer)?
Eevans

Post by Eevans »

Hiker is more than willing to provide the needed diversion.

"You want me to make up some noise outside of them caves to get em to come out then?"
Hiker looks at Tannen and Paladin to be sure he is following their idea properly?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nivek intends to be just adjacent to the cave entrance so as to cut off adversaries from dashing back into cave after initial confrontation. He will use whatever concealment is available otherwise.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

"OK Hiker, you can make the diversion noise, but wait for my signal. The noise should be something loud, but short. Perhaps you could crow like a rooster? Good luck." With a grin, Tannen heads off to the other side of the cave entrance from Nivek, keeping to the tree line as much as possible before edging ever so quietly forward while staying hard up against the rock. Tannen will move as carefully as possible, being sure to not let his sword, shield or armour bash or scrape against the rock or each other.

Once everyone is in position, Tannen will look Hiker in the eyes and nod slowly.
JoeCarr28

The Trap is Set

Post by JoeCarr28 »

The two halflings scurry up a couple of handy trees at the edge of the clearing. Doughbert readies a throwing dagger, whilst Paladin notches an arrow and trains his shortbow on the cave entrance.

Meanwhile, the others sneak round so they are on either side of the cave mouth - Nivek and Hiker on one side, Tannen and Karl on the other.

[Tactical map available at https://sites.google.com/site/marketstonecampaign/]

The trap is set. All you have to do now is spring it and see what happens ...

Nivek: No ‘0’ level spells remaining today
Tannen: HP 6/9
3 pm, 27th day of Harvestide
Eevans

Post by Eevans »

Hiker watched Tannen intently waiting for a signal....he had a few hesitant false starts unsure if Tannen was nodding intentionally or not, but finally he pointed at himself and finally Tannen nodded emphatically and Hiker put their plan in motion.

Hiker breathed deeply and with a quick look to Nivek gave his best rendition of a rooster crowing to the morning sun. Having lived on farms his whole life, he did a respectful enough job - It was both loud and annoying.

After crowing loudly Hiker looked at Nivek, then stared across to the cave opening where Tannen and Karl waited. Hiker got his bow ready.
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

Adrenalin rushing through his body, Karl kept two thoughts in his mind...

*I hate goblins*

*Keep your shield high*

Karl stood ready for the coming fight.
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nivek mutters a private prayer under his breath, adjusts his shield and flexes his grip on his mace. Thinking to himself, "these filthy goblins are going to get it".
JoeCarr28

COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOOO!!!

Post by JoeCarr28 »

"COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOOO!!!!"

The cry of Hiker “Rooster” Bowling fills the air. Several birds in nearby trees take flight, whilst Nivek, who is closest to the epicentre of the impersonation, winces slightly at its forcefulness.

[Rolls]

The four party members around the cave mouth clearly hear the goblin talk inside the cave cease momentarily. Nivek, who knows something of the goblin language, can just about make out the words “chicken”, “dinner”, “you go” and “let’s not tell the others”. Having hatched their plan, you hear the sound of swords being drawn. This is followed by a lot of noisy shushing and the sound of approaching footsteps.

Two figures emerge blinking into the afternoon sunlight. They’re short (about the same height as Paladin) with dirty yellow brown skin underneath leather armour. Both are clutching shortswords in their right hands and have shields in their left.

[Surprise - I’ll give you a 1-4 chance since it’s a well-prepared ambush. I roll a 2 - they are indeed both surprised].

[Updated tactical map available at https://sites.google.com/site/marketstonecampaign/]

Let me have your actions for the surprise round …

Nivek: No ‘0’ level spells remaining today
Tannen: HP 6/9
3 pm, 27th day of Harvestide
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

As the Goblins head away from cave mouth, Nivek will move into position to block access to the cave. Basically so that a Goblin who tries to escape back through the cave will have to deal with at least one attack from Nivek during the attempt.