Season 1 - Episode 3: Into the Coastwood

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

SmootRK

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post by SmootRK »

"That is quite the pet you have there... of course we Dwarves like to keep proper Cave Bears around. Keeps the elves away from our mines", exclaims Nivek. "We would be obliged to any assistance you might give us. We took a beating a while back and could use a safe locale to recoup."

Remarking further, "We must get back on the trail quickly, for some lass has been abducted."
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
JoeCarr28

Pet? PET?

Post by JoeCarr28 »

SmootRK wrote:"That is quite the pet you have there... of course we Dwarves like to keep proper Cave Bears around. Keeps the elves away from our mines", exclaims Nivek.
"Pet? PET? Did you hear that Barnaby ... the dwarf thinks you're my pet! Perhaps I should get you a fancy collar with your name on ... what do you reckon'?". The bear lets out the kind of growl that makes it absolutely clear that it has no wish for a new collar.

The old man continues, looking across at Doughbert and Hiker, "So you've been playing with my wolves, eh? I must admit they've been a bit more agitated than usual recently. Don't really know why. Still, as long as you didn't hurt them there's no harm done. We should try and get you patched-up though. Come, follow me and you can tell me about this woman you're looking for."

To Paladin: "I've got some nice elderflower water back at home to quench your thirst master halfling."

And with that, the old man and Barnaby turn around and start heading north-east, in the general direction of the smoke you saw earlier.

Doughbert: HP -7/5 … stabilised and conscious
Hiker: HP -7/9 … stabilised and conscious
Karl: HP 7/8
Nivek: HP 4/7; no ‘0’ level spells remaining today
Tannen: HP 1/9
10 am, 27th day of Harvestide
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

"BY THE SWEAT OF THE FORGE LORD, MAN! Your pooches attacked two of our group (pointing at our two brave scouts), then nearly finished the rest of us off as we arrived to help!!", exclaims Nivek.

"If these be your 'pets' then you certainly owe us a bit of restitution to make things right." continues Nivek as he shakes his head disapprovingly to emphasise his comments. "We mean no ill towards the creatures of your forest, but we seek a party of goblinoids who were witnessed as riding wolves. Anyhows, we fought to defend ourselves from the doggies as they confronted us, both back at Marketstone as well as yonder deeper into the trees."

[ooc] Nivek would not be inclined to lies about our motives or deeds. I have not seen any dishonour in our actions thus far. I am hoping this individual can clear up the question of these goblins and get us moving in the right direction.
Eevans

Post by Eevans »

Bears as pets, wolves as pets, Hiker is so utterly confused at this point he is glad he is on Jumbles lest he collapse in a heap due to the completely upside down talks going on? Hiker moved to speak, but heard Nivek chime in ahead and remained silent to not confuse the issue anymore.
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

Gobsmacked by the party's new acquaintance, Tannen looks around a the rest of the party. Shrugging, he stows his hand axe in his belt, heads over to Doughbert and assists the injured halfling in heading after the strange old man.
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

After a short distance, Tannen remembers what lies in the direction the old man is leading the party...

"Old man, we've met Barnaby, but do YOU have a name?

You should know that it is as the Dwarf says: The wolves attacked us and met their fates - if you take my meaning - as a result of the encounter.

We saved the deer they were hunting, though."
Eevans

Post by Eevans »

Hiker listened during their pursuit of the bear-befriending man, but something about what Nivek said - it just seemed perhaps off. The darn truth of the matter was ...OUCH!,"Take it easy Jumbles!" .. the truth of it, Hiker thought, was that he did not remember if he fired on the woofies first or not...it was all so confusing.

Of course, and he realized this a few Jumbles-bumps later...at the very least he had not had any hand in the woofs demise as he hadn't hit a one, no matter that he had tried real hard.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Eevans wrote:Hiker listened during their pursuit of the bear-befriending man, but something about what Nivek said - it just seemed perhaps off. The darn truth of the matter was ...OUCH!,"Take it easy Jumbles!" .. the truth of it, Hiker thought, was that he did not remember if he fired on the woofies first or not...it was all so confusing.

Of course, and he realized this a few Jumbles-bumps later...at the very least he had not had any hand in the woofs demise as he hadn't hit a one, no matter that he had tried real hard.
[ooc] I did not review the past posts, but Nivek and remainder of crew wouldn't know that for certain anyway. Nivek's personal beliefs would lead him to basically assume that his comrades were acting in defense (rightly or wrongly). Anyhow, there is a difference between attacking an apparently hostile animal before it actually successfully attacks oneself, and recklessly attacking an innocent creature like a hunter or assassin. I would not hesitate to beat down a vicious dog before it gets a chance to attack me or others (in real life). I would not wait for it to directly go after somebody's throat before deciding it was a danger.

Anyhow, I think we are still on the honorable side of things.
Eevans

Post by Eevans »

SmootRK wrote:
[ooc] I did not review the past posts, but Nivek and remainder of crew wouldn't know that for certain anyway. Nivek's personal beliefs would lead him to basically assume that his comrades were acting in defense (rightly or wrongly). Anyhow, there is a difference between attacking an apparently hostile animal before it actually successfully attacks oneself, and recklessly attacking an innocent creature like a hunter or assassin. I would not hesitate to beat down a vicious dog before it gets a chance to attack me or others (in real life). I would not wait for it to directly go after somebody's throat before deciding it was a danger.

Anyhow, I think we are still on the honorable side of things.
OOC: Oh yeah...no worries, I didnt review the past posts either and intentionally so as Hiker's limited intellect combined with him being knocked out would likely have clouded all attempts at remembering anyway...I was simply role playing Hiker thinking about what Nivek had said, because he couldn't remember much save being ultimately lamely INEFFECTIVE in the battle. LOL!
JoeCarr28

No Place Like Home

Post by JoeCarr28 »

SmootRK wrote:"BY THE SWEAT OF THE FORGE LORD, MAN! Your pooches attacked two of our group (pointing at our two brave scouts), then nearly finished the rest of us off as we arrived to help!!", exclaims Nivek.

"If these be your 'pets' then you certainly owe us a bit of restitution to make things right."
"Easy dwarf, the wolves were just doing what wolves do. Remember, you were intruding upon their home, not the other way around. I don't owe you anything. I will help you because I choose to do so. If the situation is not to your liking, please go about your business and Barnaby and I will get back to ours."
Birthright wrote:"Old man, we've met Barnaby, but do YOU have a name?

You should know that it is as the Dwarf says: The wolves attacked us and met their fates - if you take my meaning - as a result of the encounter.

We saved the deer they were hunting, though."
"So you killed my wolves? Well, nature's way I suppose. I do hope one of them wasn't Theodore though ... I'm rather fond of Theodore ..."

"And as for my name, actually I have many names, but they need not concern you."

You plough on through the forest following the old man and the bear. There doesn't appear to be any discernible path or trail that they're following, but it's clear that your guides know exactly where they are going.

The sun is high in the sky by the time you emerge into a small glade. Facing you, at the base of a rocky outcrop within the forest, is a cave entrance. Outside the cave a small campfire burns alongside a neatly stacked pile of wood. You can see rabbits, pheasants and other such game hanging from the low branch of a tree awaiting their turn on the fire. Although you are now slightly disorientated following your to-ing-and-fro-ing in the forest this morning, you're fairly sure this is the fire you've been tracking for the last day or so.

Barnaby settles down to the left of the cave entrance and begins gnawing on a bone lying there. The old man beckons you into the cave, which turns out to be a residence of some sort. There is a makeshift bed of animal furs in one corner. Along another wall are a series of ramshackle shelves carrying an assortment of bottles containing what look like herbs, salves and liquids. The furnishing is completed with a homemade wooden table and a single wooden chair. There's barely a square inch of clear surface on the table, covered as it is with an assortment of mismatched cooking and eating utensils that have been either fashioned or scavenged over the years. As a home, it's undeniably basic, but dry and serviceable.

"Right then, let's have a look at you. I'll do the halfling first."

The old man locates the most severe wound on Doughbert's damaged body. He then firmly grasps it (Doughbert winces), closes his eyes, and appears to be silently wording some undistinguishable phrases. Doughbert experiences a warm sensation, and when the old man removes his hand, the wound is closed and healed and just a scar remains (Doughbert's hit points are restored in full). He repeats the procedure with Hiker (again, full hit point restoral), before turning his attention to the other walking wounded (Karl and Nivek are fully healed, Tannen gains five hit points to take him to 6).

"OK, that's that out of the way, and let it be a lesson to you - if you choose to enter The Coastwood, you play by the rules of The Coastwood. Being a human, or a dwarf or halfling for that matter, doesn't grant you any special priviliges. The wolves, bears and all the other creatures are your equals and should be respected accordingly."

"Now, I think you said you were searching for a woman, and the grumpy dwarf mentioned some goblins. Would you like to tell me precisely what your business is in my forest?"

Nivek: No ‘0’ level spells remaining today
Tannen: HP 6/9
Midday, 27th day of Harvestide