Season 1 - Episode 2: Northridge Farm

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

swirler

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post by swirler »

Doughbert glares at Paladin and steps forward. He makes sure his holy symbol is openly displayed.

Hello sir I am a follower of Mater Loche, I am sorry for the scare. I'm sure my companion was aiming for your door. We were uncertain if your wife's assailants were still near and were searching, trying to flush them out. We have come to investigate her disappearance and to rescue her. Looking him over Doughbert says in a more concerned voice, I see you are still injured sir, let us go inside and tend to your wounds, and then you can fill us in on any relevant information to help our investigation.
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

Tannen adds his apologies to Doughbert's and introduces himself. He'll follow the others indoors [assuming that the old man offers such hospitality], but will enquire as to suitable accommodation for Jumbles first. He quietly suggests that Karl may be able to board up Paladin's broken window.
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

Birthright wrote:Tannen quietly suggests that Karl may be able to board up Paladin's broken window.
Without word, Karl drops his pack and shield and sheaths his longsword. He takes out his hatchet and goes to work cutting board and shivs from the available firewood to make appropriate covering for the broken window.
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin looks around quickly for his broken window. He has so few possessions that he wants to bring it with him. Then he figures out what Tannen means. Paladin scowls.
JoeCarr28

Alan Grenewell

Post by JoeCarr28 »

“Ahhhhhhh …”, a look of understanding spreading slowly across his face, “Mr. Kitchener sent you … why didn’t you say? Well don’t just stand there, come in, come in. I’m Alan, Alma’s husband. I can’t tell you how grateful I am for your help”.

His demeanor brightens considerably as he ushers you into the farmhouse like old friends. As Scathias passes he mumbles “Sorry about that …”, nodding at the crossbow whilst handing him the thrown stone, “... no offense I hope. Don’t know why you didn’t just knock on the door though.”

Alan Grenewell guides you into the main downstairs room of the farmhouse and begins hastily opening the curtains to let in what little light remains of the day, as well as lighting lamps to further brighten proceedings.

“Please, all of you, take a seat. I’ll sit myself down as well if you don’t mind - I’ve been none too steady on me feet since I was clouted by that goblin”. He looks towards the broken window and shouts to Karl “You alright out there? You’re doing a grand job - let me know if you need anything.”

Turning back to the others he begins “Well I guess Mr. Kitchener’s filled you in on all the details. You wouldn’t be here otherwise. So, what’s your plan and when do you intend to make start?”

9 pm, 25th day of Harvestide
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin looks over Alan and the establishment with a keen eye. You don't look so bad for a biggun, not that I have an eye for these things. Always appreciated the fairer sex more to be honest starts Paladin. So Bertie told us that your much younger and startlingly ravishing wife ran off with a bunch of goblins. Which way did they go, and do you know if she is right or left handed? he asks. It matters, you know, for when we return. Paladin frowns, looking at what he doesn't see. You aren't a teetotaler, are you?
actingkeith

Re: Alan Grenewell

Post by actingkeith »

JoeCarr28 wrote:He looks towards the broken window and shouts to Karl “You alright out there? You’re doing a grand job - let me know if you need anything.”

"I be fine, sir, just puttin' a patch to the window," Karl answered. "Told to put a patch, puttin' a patch, good patch, keep the wind and rain out 'til you get more glass." Karl works until the job is done, not worried in the least about missing any conversation that might be going on inside.
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

Looking at Paladin, Tannen addresses Alan: "Ah, errrr, yes, well anyway, sorry about the window, the little one is a tad excitable I'm afraid and we were a bit suspicious seeing and hearing nothing from your farmhouse given the recent trouble with the goblins and all." Tannen offers Alan his hand in greeting. "I'm Tannen, and we've been sent by Kitchener to investigate your wife's disappearance." [Tannen then introduces the rest of the group to Alan. Once everyone is inside, he'll continue.]

"If you could tell us again what happened with your wife, we'd appreciate your account rather than relying on second or third hand information."

[Tannen will listen patiently and if possible, will ask for details such as (Tannen will examine Alan's body language and demeanor carefully as he responds to each, looking for inconsistencies that might indicate he is not telling the full truth):
1. Time of day and precise place Alma was snatched
2. Alan's own location and activity when Alma was taken
3. Precise details of her abductors (numbers, what they looked like, armor, weapons and so forth)
4. Any witnesses
5. Has Alma ever been away from the farm before
6. Where is Alma's nearest living family member besides himself
7. What kind of financial shape the Grenewells are in.
8. Has he been contacted regarding any kind of ransom.]
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

“Pleased to meet you Mr. Tannen, ...” Alan begins whilst frowning at Paladin, “... p’haps I better start from the beginning - your little friend there seems a tad confused.”

“Three days ago it was, although it seems much longer somehow. About this time o’ day. Alma and me were walking back to the farmhouse from the field we’d been harvesting. One of the farmhands, Hiker, was with us - he’d been helping us tidy-up. The other farmhands had gone on ahead to get washed-up. Well, we saw a cloud o' dust in the distance to the north. Wondered what it was. Then, as it came closer, we could see it was riders o’ some sort. Well, we hung around to see what they wanted - summat seemed wrong as they were riding at such a pace. And then they got even closer and we realised they weren’t no ordinary riders. They were goblins riding the biggest wolves you’ve ever seen. At least I think they were goblins - I ain’t never seen any before. Thought they were all long gone. But they kind of looked like what I sort of imagined a goblin to look like, if you know what I mean.”

“Well, at this point we all started to run back to the farmhouse. But we just weren’t quick enough. There was three of them and they were on us in a flash. There was a big one, bare-chested with some kind of horned helmet. He smashed me with his club and that was the last thing I knew until I woke up half an hour later. However, Hiker said that another one, a smaller one in a dirty blue robe, did something to Alma that seemed to fix her rigid. Hiker did his best to stop them, he’s a good lad, but the third goblin scooped Alma up and with that they all galloped off from where they came.”

“Not much else to say really …” he finishes, stroking his unshaven face, “My best guess would be that they’re hiding out in The Coastwood north of here. Haven’t heard anything since. No ransom note or nothing. I just …, I just ... want her back ...”, at which point his emotions seem get the better of him and he breaks down in tears.

Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

We need to speak to this Hiker guy, says Paladib. and where are your other farmhands? We'll need to speak with them too. And we'll need a jug of rye or whisky for lubricating purposes.