Season 1 - Episode 2: Northridge Farm

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

SmootRK

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post by SmootRK »

"Perhaps Hiker could accompany us to the location of the abduction?" remarks Nivek. He continues, "He could fill us in on some of the details while we head there and on towards the Coastwood. If Hiker has any skill with a weapon, then he could assist us with any dangers."

"Now, Mister Greenwell, how are your wounds healing? Do you require additional tending?"
[assuming Mr.Greenwell allows, Nivek will invoke "cure minor wounds orison (1hp healing)" to further his healing... this also allows us to see if wounds are 'real' and not some sort of ruse to support the story, if it turns out to be a fabrication]
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

"In any case, I think any other activities can wait until the morning. Tonight we'll just need a meal, a place to sleep and some shelter, water and fodder for our old nag."

[When privacy allows such, Tannen will quietly mention to the others that Alan's account suggests they are up against a spell-caster of some sort and that this may complicate matters considerably.]
swirler

Post by swirler »

Doughbert assists Nivek with the wounds. After this he offers to help the farmer prepare food for the group. He talks idly with the farmer seeing what he has to say and getting a feel for his attitude and temperament.
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
JoeCarr28

Hiker

Post by JoeCarr28 »

“Hiker and the other farmhands should be back anytime now” says Grenewell, wiping his eyes and pulling himself together. “Nobody’s felt much like working these last couple o’ days, so I sent them down to Marketstone yesterday to sell some o’ the harvest produce. They’re due back this evening. In the meantime, help yourselves to anything you can find in the pantry. There’s nothing hot I’m afraid - Alma’s the cook - but there’s bread and cheese, and some flagons of cider for your thirsty little friend. Just help yourselves. I’ll stay sitting here, if that’s alright - I’m still a bit woozy from that goblin’s club”.

About 15 minutes later you hear the sound of a cart drawing into the farmyard. “Ah, that’ll be the others” says Grenewell getting unsteadily to his feet. He totters towards the door and calls out “Hiker, could you come in here a moment please. Oh, and Ned, could you see that that there pony is looked after - it looks like it could do with summat to eat and a good long rest.”

Hiker, a man of average height and build and with a mop of dirty blond hair, ambles into the farmhouse. He has a bow slung over his shoulder.

“Hiker, these gentlefolk have been sent by Mr. Kitchener. They’re going to go and try and get Alma back from the goblins. They might have a few questions for you. Don’t panic. Just try and answer them as best you can.”

Grenewell turns to Tannen and whispers quietly “Hiker here’s a little bit, well, ‘slow’ I suppose is the word. Go easy on him if his answers are a bit vague or confused.”
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

SmootRK wrote:"Now, Mister Greenwell, how are your wounds healing? Do you require additional tending?"
[assuming Mr.Greenwell allows, Nivek will invoke "cure minor wounds orison (1hp healing)" to further his healing... this also allows us to see if wounds are 'real' and not some sort of ruse to support the story, if it turns out to be a fabrication]
swirler wrote:Doughbert assists Nivek with the wounds.
Grenewell resists any attempt to tend to his head wound, dismissing it as "just a scratch" and insisting that he "just needs to take it easy for a couple of days". From your experience and from what you can see, there's nothing to suggest that it isn't a real injury.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Help yourself are beautiful words to hear, right up there with open bar. Say no more! squeaks Paladin as he skitters off to the kitchen as fast as his little feet will take him. He immediately assesses the situation, only to find Alan has told the truth-no hot food! Paladin immediately moves to fix that. He raids the larder for onions and potatoes, finds the can of grease, and cooks up a meal. Plus, the flour has no weevils! He makes scones. They taste great with both flagons of cider. A basket of root vegetables later, Paladin looks up to see the eyes of the others upon him. He smiles friendily. I'm going to make fourths, would you all like some too? he asks. Taking their incredulous looks as a Yes, Paladin makes an even larger batch of food (and scones) for the others.

Are you on a fast to your whatchamacallit? asks Paladin of Doughbert, because you seem off your eating stride. . Paladin offers him more cider, and onion potatoes! My Babka would have fattened you right up. I've been on a diet since leaving home, but I could cook more normal portions for you if you'd like. I don't want you to waste away on us.
Eevans

Post by Eevans »

Hiker had entered and remained completely oblivious to the retinue of unknown individuals filling the Grenewell farmhouse. It was only as Mr. Grenewell spoke to him and pointed out the new individuals that he became aware of their presence.
“Hiker, these gentlefolk have been sent by Mr. Kitchener. They’re going to go and try and get Alma back from the goblins. They might have a few questions for you. Don’t panic. Just try and answer them as best you can.”
"Umm, ok Mr. Alan ... Miss Alma is probably real scared right now ... them critters wasn't so nice ... knocked Mr. Alan here right on the head - BOOM!" Hiker yelled and watched as Alan Grenewell winced, and then he remembered that Mr. Alan had asked him to stop shouting cuz his head hurt (on at least 3 other occasions while relating the same blow to the head) , "....sorry again, Mr. Alan," he added with a loud whisper.

Hiker had the look of a scolded dog and sadly removed his bow, stretched his back with an "Ugh!" and exhaled in deep relief as it cracked in several places. Then he noticed the halfling doubling as a whirling dervish in the kitchen and he smiled, the momentary self reprimand suddenly forgotten, and stared in slack-jawed amusement as he watched the halfling ready, cook, and summarily devour enough food to feed 3 farmhands.
I'm going to make fourths, would you all like some too? he (paladin) asks.
"Oh me!" Hiker shouted, far too loudly once again," I will have some Mr. Half-man!"
And Hiker hurriedly made his way toward Paladin and the food.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Well, you are a big one, though you can see you aren't eating enough, chides Paladin. Have these with the parsnips in them; they add a nice bite.

So, you haven't seen hide nor hair of these goblins before or afterward, says Paladin, passing a spare jug of cider over, and they skittered off northwards. Was the woman injured or holding to the goblins of her own volition? And have you seen other wolves recently or just these three? Last, how far have you ventured northwards yourself? Are there burrows, caves or hidden dells nearby? If I was going to ride off with my goblin lover, that's where I would go to ground. Unless there's more forest further north.

Paladin winces as he realizes what he's said. Not that I have a goblin lover, he clarifies.Not that there's anything wrong with that. Paladin nods firmly and has a cider and a garlic scone.
Eevans

Post by Eevans »

Iain_IF wrote:Well, you are a big one, though you can see you aren't eating enough, chides Paladin. Have these with the parsnips in them; they add a nice bite.
Hiker plopped down in an empty chair and rubbed his hands with feverish excitement and watched as the little man doted on his meal. "Umm, this smells real nice Mr. Half-Man!" Hiker dug into the meal as it set a body good after a long ride.
So, you haven't seen hide nor hair of these goblins before or afterward, says Paladin, passing a spare jug of cider over,
Hiker took the jug and shook his head side to side in answer to the halfing's initial question then took a giant swig of the cider which ended up trickling down each side of his mouth in tiny rivulets. Hiker wiped away the cider with a loud "Ahhhh! ... no sir, Mr. Half-man didn't even know what they was."
Was the woman injured or holding to the goblins of her own volition? And have you seen other wolves recently or just these three? Last, how far have you ventured northwards yourself? Are there burrows, caves or hidden dells nearby? If I was going to ride off with my goblin lover, that's where I would go to ground. Unless there's more forest further north.
"Mr. Half-man, you are talking lotsa big words to me and speedy, like yer cookin," Hiker said and visibly scrunched his face trying to scale the mountain of words and questions that Paladin had just thrust upon him. Hiker looked up into the beams of the farmhouse in contemplative combat.

"Right," Hiker stated slowly, "now by woman you mean Miss Alma?" Hiker could see that he must be on the right track and continued, "Well she was scared is what she was, her eyes were real big and she was screaming out fer Mr. Alan," Hiker nodded and thumbed toward Mr. Alan, then inexplicably stopped to shovel another helping of parsnip laden whatever (and scones) into his mouth.

Hiker then continued without benefit of a fully completed chew, "she was yellin'," and he raised his voice again loudly, "ALAN! ALAN!- just like that," and many bits of spittle and scone assaulted the poor, unsuspecting halfling, but Hiker continued with a slurp, "but poor Mr. Alan was still sleepin' from the rock on his head and I was just looking around but I didn't know what to do - and them critters was so fast riding them big ole' woofs and they just wooshed Miss Alma away right into them woods...and I couldn't do nothin' on-a-counta I didn't have my bow," and here between the food and the pile of questions Hiker's train of thought was hopelessly derailed, "Cuz, I mean, there ain't really no reason to havin' a bow out when you is working the land, no sir, bows ain't supposed to be out there, Mama always says 'the right tools fer the right job' and bows aint for farmin', they's for huntin, ain't that right Mr. Alan?" Hiker smiled because he pretty much knew he was dead right on that last point.
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

Karl comes in at the tail end of the farm hand's story. He removes his gloves, tucking them into his belt.

"Window's patched, sir," Karl says. "Fairly done. It'll last 'til you can fix it better."
- True might is measured in the good brought to others