Season 1 - Episode 2: Northridge Farm

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Season 1 - Episode 2: Northridge Farm

Post by JoeCarr28 »

The night passes uneventfully; those who keep watch see or hear nothing out of the ordinary. You share the dormitory with a couple of caravan guards who are here on business with their merchant boss from Westport. They seem quite surprised when they hear about the wolf attacks (and downright sceptical about some of Paladin’s more outlandish claims). Marketstone, they say, is usually "a haven of peace and tranquility". The other guest rooms, of which about half are taken, are occupied by various traders and travellers in need of a bed for the night.

In the morning, one-by-one, you make your way downstairs for breakfast. Will has rustled up some rather grey-looking porridge, but there is also fruit, bread and cured meat on offer that looks somewhat more appetising. Just as you’re finishing off, your notice that Kemble doesn’t seem to have joined you for breakfast. As you discuss who should go and look for him, Kitchener appears at the bottom of the stairs and comes and sits at your table. He’s followed by a burley looking man wearing grimy leathers and a cap who smells strongly of a mixture of smoke and sweat.

“Right, there’s bin a slight change o’ plan” begins Kitchener matter-of-factly. “I’ve given’ that wizard friend o’ yours a little job of his own. Bit of business I need doin’ down in Westport to which his particular talents are well suited. I’m not gonna leave yer short-handed though - this here is Karl. He works in the smithy here in Marketstone, but he’s fairly handy with a sword. Say hello to your new colleagues Karl …”.

Kitchener gets up. “It’s a busy day for me, so I’m gonna leave you to it. You know what yer’ve got to do. It’s about 20 miles to Northridge up The Old Trail. If you need to buy any stuff before yer leave, yer’ll pass General Store on the way out of the village. Good luck.”

And with that Kitchener grabs a slice of cured meat, pores himself a whiskey from behind the bar, and returns upstairs to his office.

[If you’d like to buy anything from the General Store before leaving the village, you can find most of the items listed in the BFRPG rulebook, but at a 20% higher price. I’ll leave you to update your inventories, coinage and encumbrance accordingly.]

8 am, 25th day of Harvestide
Iain_IF

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin follows in Bertie's path, grabbing a glass of whiskey before heading out.
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

"Mornin' all," Karl says in a slow, dull way, "Mr. Kitch'ner says there's a girl gone missin' an there might be trouble for it. Maybe goblins, maybe not. The smith agreed that I could help out, so I'm here to do just that." He's wearing a sturdy leather breastplate and has a shield comfortably slung for travel. His head is covered in a triangular sweat rag common to folk in the area who toil a lot.

"I'm called Karl by most folks," he continues. "But I answer to pretty near anything if'en you say it loud enough in my direction." As he's making introductions, he straps on a weapons harness that holds a scabbarded long sword, a heavy mace, and a thick hunting knife. "Dwarves," he says, looking at Nivek, "There are lots of dwarves near Westport. I lived in Westport. Good folk, Dwarves." He fastens the massive belt with easy confidence. "Halflings, they live southeast of Marketstone." As he finishes equipping by fitting a small camping hatchet into a loop in his belt. "Elves live northeast, but I seen you," Karl says, eying Scathias. "You're from near here. He checks himself over as if he were a sergeant checking over a raw recruit. "I don't know you," he says, extending his hand to the human, Tannen, "but you look better'n me an' Mr. Kitch'ner said you all were good, so you're well met. I'm Karl and I have some experience in militia work."

A big iron skillet clanks against the wall has it swings on the outside of the full pack that Karl hoists to his back, ready to go. "Oh, and I brought some smoked bacon to share for on the road 'cause everything's better with bacon on it..."
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

I could not agree more! mumbles Paladin through his second bowl of porridge. The world is a much happier place with bacon in it! He stares around for something else to drink - he feels a little dehydrated.
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

"Well met, Karl. It'll be good to have another strong sword arm for this little..." - Tannen glances around at his companions, lingering especially over the two halflings, while looking at Karl and offering his fellow human a discrete wink and a slight grin "...expedition.". Tannen stands and accepts Karl's hand, shaking it firmly while looking him in the eyes.

"Will you break your fast with us, Karl? It'll be a long day's march and there might night be a decent meal for the next few days." Tannen moves over to make space for Karl at the table. "By the way, do you know any locals who might loan us a mule or some such beast of burden for our trip? I like to be well equipped," - here Tannen taps the chainmail on his chest - "but I don't want to slow our progress to a crawl."

[Tannen intends to try and hire a mule for a week (allowing a move of 20' - metal armor, light load - if he has the beast carry his backpack) - he is prepared to pay up to 7 pieces of gold if such a beast is available, but will initially offer only 5gp in payment. If no such beast is available or is not affordable for said price, Tannen will roll up his chainmail in his bedroll and strap it to the top of his backpack and travel unarmoured (affording him a move of 30' - no armor and heavy load).]

Tannen will ensure that his week of rations are still ok, that his waterskin is full and then he's ready for the road.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Birthright wrote:[Tannen intends to try and hire a mule for a week (allowing a move of 20' - metal armor, light load - if he has the beast carry his backpack) - he is prepared to pay up to 7 pieces of gold if such a beast is available, but will initially offer only 5gp in payment. If no such beast is available or is not affordable for said price, Tannen will roll up his chainmail in his bedroll and strap it to the top of his backpack and travel unarmoured (affording him a move of 30' - no armor and heavy load).]
You make some enquiries about the hiring of a mule or pony, but it quickly becomes apparent that it is the wrong time of year. All available beasts of burden around the village are pressed into service for the harvest. The only animal on offer is a rather aged, mangy looking pony that the current owner insists is only for sale, not hire. The asking price is 50 gp.

9 am, 25th day of Harvestide
swirler

Post by swirler »

JoeCarr28 wrote:The only animal on offer is a rather aged, mangy looking pony that the current owner insists is only for sale, not hire. The asking price is 50 gp.
I would like to have Doughbert there for the pony proposition if that's okay with Tannen and the Gm.

Doughbert would look the pony over "hmmm-ing and "err-ing" the whole time. Looking him over from top to bottom. Also talking about "ponies I've worked with and handled over the years". Then eventually look the man straight in the eye and say, "I think we could give you 10 gold and take him off your hands. It'd make you a little money and save you having to haul his carcass off when he dies. Fairly soon by my reckoning."
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

[Perhaps to further entice the owner into selling at a more reasonable price, Nivek could offer a special Prayer for Productivity during these harvest times (non-magical priestly blessings made over the farmer/owner and his family/employees). Nivek shares this with Tannen privately during disscusions.]
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

swirler wrote:Doughbert would look the pony over "hmmm-ing and "err-ing" the whole time. Looking him over from top to bottom. Also talking about "ponies I've worked with and handled over the years". Then eventually look the man straight in the eye and say, "I think we could give you 10 gold and take him off your hands. It'd make you a little money and save you having to haul his carcass off when he dies. Fairly soon by my reckoning."
The farmer offering the pony for sale considers Doughbert's offer. "Hmmm ... " he ponders.

[Rolls, taking into account Doughbert's Charisma]

"... aye, go on then. Ten it is. 'e don't come with any guarantees though. If 'e keels over 'alf a mile up the road, there won't be no refunds."

The farmer thrusts out his hand greedily for the ten pieces of gold.
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

"Wait a second." Tannen interjects. "Make it 12gp and you can throw in a pack saddle and bridle."

[Assuming the farmer agrees...]

Tannen slaps Doughbert on the back and thanks the farmer for the deal. He then stoops down to his diminutive companion and whispers in his ear: "Congratulations, my little friend - you just bought half of this...horse. I've only got 7 pieces of gold to spend. What would you like to call this mangy beast?"

[Tannen contributes 7gp towards the pony, hoping Doughbert and maybe some of his other companions will cover the rest!]

[Later, when the whole group is assembled and ready to depart, Tannen addresses the group:]
"Even though these parts are relatively tame, I suggest we march in some kind of relatively close formation, especially given last night's encounter with the wolves. We should also keep close together and have a night-time watch should we need to make camp on the road. My mercenary sergeant always said, 'better prepared and equipped, than surprised and dead".

I'm happy to march up front and take the first watch each night if you are all happy with such"