Season 1 - Episode 1: Welcome to the Wheatsheaf

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

SmootRK

Re: Chapter 1 - The Farmer's Lost a Wife

Post by SmootRK »

Nivek moves to the other sleeping wolf, but he will take a moment to inspect the wolf carefully. Does there appear to be any signs of collars, harness, saddle (including indications in the fur that the beast wears one regularly)?

"I have a mind to leash this one. Perhaps it could be useful in leading us back to its lair?" Nivek remarks as he moves toward the wolf. "What do you boys think?"
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

Tannen approaches Nivek and the slain wolf, looking for signs that the beast had been ridden at all recently. He glances across at the dwarf and says:

"I dunno. It is a wild beast - it may as soon rip your arm off if you try and tether it. Our archers got two arrows into its pack-mate, that should leave a trail of blood we can follow in the morning. Perhaps one of the locals has a hunting dog that may assist us. Best finish it off if you ask me."

Tannen remains ready, sword in hand and shield at the ready as he squints off into the darkness in the direction of the trees to the southwest, searching for any hint of movement.
Iain_IF

Re: Skirmish at the Wheatsheaf - Round 3

Post by Iain_IF »

JoeCarr28 wrote:I’ll assume that, as a hardened drinker, Paladin’s aim isn’t affected by the copious amounts of alcohol he’s consumed].
OOC: Paladin never intends to get drunk, he's just not good at identifying when that's happened! I'll let you be the judge as to when my liver can't handle the alcohol any more. I figure halflings eat at least twice what a human does, so my alcohol tolerance must start proportionally higher as well!

Poor doggie, laments Paladin, tearing up at the sight of the injured wolf loping into the woods. Paladin will steady himself on the rooftop and wipe the tears from his little halfling eyes. Of course, if something comes out of that wood, like a goblin, he'll pincushion the little wretch.
swirler

Post by swirler »

Doughbert decides there is nothing close by, stops trying to be stealthy and runs over to Nivek

"Do you think these wolves may be a distraction? to draw us away from something in town? Paladin might be able to see from there."
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin will cast his sad eyes over the inn's surroundings as well.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

swirler wrote:Doughbert decides there is nothing close by, stops trying to be stealthy and runs over to Nivek

"Do you think these wolves may be a distraction? to draw us away from something in town? Paladin might be able to see from there."
"Aye, they may be that," responds Nivek.

[as stated, Nivek inspects wolf then puts it down (since others do not think it necessary to keep alive).]
JoeCarr28

Up Close with the Wolves

Post by JoeCarr28 »

A quick examination of both the dead wolf and the sleeping wolf reveals no indications that they may have been ridden at some point in the recent past. They certainly carry no riding equipment. Furthermore, their coats appear natural - there are no worn patches or ruffled regions that might indicate that they have been used as mounts.

Nivek finishes off the remaining sleeping wolf with a swift blow from his mace. Meanwhile, Tannen scans the trees to the south-west for any signs of movement. It’s not yet dark, although the light is starting to fade. All seems quiet - there are no signs of life down there.

Paladin scans around from his vantage point on the stable roof. The Wheatsheaf is on the western edge of the village, so to the west he can see across the River Mark and out into open countryside. To the south-west is the copse of trees from which the wolves emerged, and to the the south there is the main road leading into the village, which is flanked by a couple of farmhouses. Looking across to the east, Paladin can see the market square with its distinctive stone wheatsheaf centrepiece; most of the rest of the village is located around and beyond this square. The view to the north is largely blocked by the main building of The Wheatsheaf Inn. However, you can see Kitchener in one of the upstairs windows surveying the proceedings. His gaze lingers on Kemble before he turns slowly and moves away inside the building. Overall, the brief flurry of activity appears to have attracted little attention and there are no signs of unusual activity. A few people in the square are looking in Paladin’s direction, but they’re most probably wondering why there’s a sobbing halfling standing on the roof of the Wheatsheaf’s stables … it’s not a sight that you see everyday.

8 pm, 24th day of Harvestide
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

I don't see anything of note up here hollers Paladin down to the others. Wiping his eyes with the back of his hand, he waves to the Bertie in the window.
swirler

Post by swirler »

Doughbert looks around.

Hmmm any ideas?
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nivek remarks, "Without any clue to follow otherwise, I think we should attempt to either track the wolves back to their lair or simply head to this farm to find out more." He replaces his mace to its rightful place at his belt. "Does anyone have other ideas".

When the adrenalin rush has subsided, Nivek performs a simple rite (passage to death realm) over the wolves remains.