Character Creation

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Character Creation

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Guidelines for Character Creation

Please create your characters according to Part 2 of the Basic Fantasy RPG rulebook. For your character’s abilities, you should pick one of the randomly pre-rolled profiles below (first come, first served - each profile can only be used once):
Ability Scores.png
Ability Scores.png (40.34 KiB) Viewed 16413 times
All of the above profiles are “non-hopeless” as discussed on page 139 of the rulebook. In terms of customisation, you may exchange ONE pair of ability scores to suit your preferred class. The only other type of adjustment that is permitted is any minor modification that might be required in order to satisfy any racial minimums or maximums; if you are thinking of doing this, please get in touch and we’ll work out the details.

In terms of hit points, FOR THE FIRST LEVEL ONLY, I will allow you to take an automatic maximum die roll. Things are tough enough for new adventurers without having to worry about 1 HP fighters. For second level and above, you’re at the mercy of the dice.

Other than that, it’s exactly as the rulebook. Once you’ve finalised your race and class, let me know and I’ll allocate money. You can purchase anything that is listed on pages 10 and 11 of the rulebook (provided that you can afford it of course!).

If you have any questions, please post them below in this topic.

Please post your completed characters in the separate ‘Character Roster’ topic. In this way we can keep the ‘Character Roster’ topic clean for easy reference during play, and leave this topic here for all the character creation questions, dice rolling, haggling,etc.

Finally, have a think about your character’s background and motivations, but do not detail them openly in the forum, at least to start with. The campaign assumes that, at least to start with, you are all more-or-less strangers to one another and have been independently drawn to (or perhaps already reside in) the village of Marketstone* after seeing a poster offering a reward for a missing individual. Your backgrounds should then come out (or not, as the case may be) during the course of the adventures. If there is anything in your character’s background that you feel I ought to know as GM so that we can reflect it in the campaign, you can PM me. Of course there is nothing to stop you posting the general appearance and demeanor of your characters, as these will be readily apparent to your fellow player characters.

*I’ll post some background details on Marketstone shortly.
SmootRK

Re: Character Creation

Post by SmootRK »

SmootRK = early riser

I will go ahead and take set number #10... but I will wait to see what others want to play before choosing class/race. That set is very flexible, so I will fill in where it makes the most sense (upon seeing what others are wanting to play). But, if I had to choose immediately, I would simply go Elf MU or Dwarf Thief.

Edit:
Since this post, we have Human Fighter, Elf Fighter/MU, and Halfling Thief... a good spread so far. So that we have good class coverage, I decided to go for a Dwarf Cleric. I doubt it, but if anyone was dying to play a cleric, then I can reconsider my role and choose something else. For now, I will post a cleric.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Mhogrymm

Post by Mhogrymm »

I will take set #4 if you please. Thinking this one is prime for an Elf F/M-U
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

I'll take number 6.
doomrock

Post by doomrock »

I'll have# 2 please.
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

I'll take set 7. I'll switch the Cha and Str around to create Tannen the Human Fighter.
Mhogrymm

Post by Mhogrymm »

Joe, I could use a money roll please. Gimme the money!

Just a thought here but I had a game going on a site without a die roller and we used Myth-Weavers just to roll dice.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Money for those that have got that far ...

Scathias: 90 gp.
Paladin: 100 gp.
Tannen: 120 gp.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Mhogrymm wrote:Joe, I could use a money roll please. Gimme the money!

Just a thought here but I had a game going on a site without a die roller and we used Myth-Weavers just to roll dice.
I had a look at Myth-Weavers, but I really don't fancy registering for yet another site. However, I found this little site which works quite nicely: http://dice.evildm.net/index.php. You just fill in the details, it provides the result, and then e. mails the result to whoever you want. So, if you've got a burning desire to roll your own dice, I suggest we use this or something like it. Just make sure that you include me in the e. mail distribution (joecarr28@ymail.com) and that you provide enough information so that I know who's rolled the dice and what it's for. Feel free to experiment - I don't mind a bit of spam whilst you try it out.

However, don't feel this is compulsory. I'm happy to keep rolling the dice for those that can't be bothered with such complications. Also, once the game starts proper, I wouldn't want such die rolling to hold things up (e.g. waiting for people to roll). If you want to roll, and can do so promptly, then I'll use your results. Otherwise I'll roll for you to keep the game flowing.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

I have used invisiblecastle.com in other PbP games. We provide a link to the die roll or rolls and state the roll in the post. YMMV.