Out-of-Character Chat

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Re: Traveling to Northridge...

Post by JoeCarr28 »

actingkeith wrote:Ok, so I've been looking at the facts and figures...

Based on Tannen's movement rate (if he's wearing his armor while marching), It'll take us 3 days to reach Northridge: 2 days at regular travel (6 miles/day), 1 day at forced march (9 miles/day).

Tannen's move is 10' (6 miles/day) everyone else's is 20' (12 miles/day) or better. If Tannen isn't wearing his armor, his move goes up to 20' even under the same load because to the restrictions of metal armor.

The reason I'm bringing this up in the OCC Chat is that the game is so new that I couldn't figure out (and I'm so new to the game that I didn't want to guess) whether this debate is something we want have in-character, or do we even want deal with "optimal travel configurations" at all.

My preference is to do this in-character because I think it's a great way to learn about and expose character background... for example, is this something that Tannen would know with his military experience? I know what Karl's opinion on the matter is, but I'll wait until this gets dealt with before I open up.

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up "tortoise" Tannen's movement rate ...

I'd encourage all such discussions to be in-character, if that's OK with the players.

I think it would also be useful at this stage to dicuss and agree your typical arrangements for travelling. Are you going to employ a particular marching order? Is someone going to scout? If you have to spend the night in open countryside, how are you going to set up your camp? In this way, if the trip turns out to be uneventful, we don't need to dwell on the details each and every time. Or, if something happens, I've got a good idea of where each character is and what they're likely to be doing. Again, I'd encourage these discussions to be in-character.
Birthright

Re: Out-of-Character Chat

Post by Birthright »

I've addressed the encumbrance issue in the in-character thread.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

At first level, Nivek is comparable to a Fighter (in both Attack bonus, AC, and nearly in HP with his CON bonus). Nivek can be among the front line.

That said, Nivek will fight rather defensively, protecting weaker classes - as a cleric and follower of a god of the forge, protection is a major focus (think like someone who's mind is on the topic of Armor most of the time). But, he will not hesitate to step forward if any true-warrior is at a disadvantage.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Further thinking on Nivek. Is there any chance we might add the Zero-Level Spells (cantrips/orisons) to our houserules? Having at least a couple of orisons available (such as the 1 hp heals, save bonus, meal blessing) would help, especially for a first level cleric who otherwise is spell-less until 2nd level.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
swirler

Post by swirler »

SmootRK wrote:Further thinking on Nivek. Is there any chance we might add the Zero-Level Spells (cantrips/orisons) to our houserules? Having at least a couple of orisons available (such as the 1 hp heals, save bonus, meal blessing) would help, especially for a first level cleric who otherwise is spell-less until 2nd level.
yeah that would not hurt my feelings either.
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
actingkeith

Re: Traveling to Northridge...

Post by actingkeith »

Now Karl is one of the slow ones... with an Encounter speed of 20' (Leather Armor/Heavy Load), the groups' rate is 12 miles/day. With a Forced March on our first day, we can travel 18 miles before camping... leaving us a short hike in the morning. Otherwise, we'll arrive around dinner time on the second day (2/3 the way through an 8 hour travel day).

I'd just rather arrive early in a day so we can spend that day orienting and gathering information.
- True might is measured in the good brought to others
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

SmootRK wrote:Further thinking on Nivek. Is there any chance we might add the Zero-Level Spells (cantrips/orisons) to our houserules? Having at least a couple of orisons available (such as the 1 hp heals, save bonus, meal blessing) would help, especially for a first level cleric who otherwise is spell-less until 2nd level.
Leave this one with me. I'll print out the supplement tomorrow and have a read through.

(I can see Paladin pestering both of you for the water-to-wine spell though!)
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

JoeCarr28 wrote:(I can see Paladin pestering both of you for the water-to-wine spell though!)
Hehehh... I hope that little hobbit has a good heart.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

A heart? Of course he does; he'd be undead otherwise. Paladin, of course, sleeps on watch if he's tired, fights from a distance with his bow, and has a penchant for climbing the nearest tree/building/whatever to stay out if melée. He's smart enough, but sorely unwise.
actingkeith

Post by actingkeith »

Iain_IF wrote:He's smart enough, but sorely unwise.
I love it!