Out-of-Character Chat

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

Hywaywolf

Re: Out-of-Character Chat

Post by Hywaywolf »

So far it looks like 2 to let it play out, 1 to apologize and 2 who are abstaining from voting. Too bad Doughbert isn't sitting upon the horse he won in battle so he could just ride out of town without running or fighting.
_Silveredged

Post by _Silveredged »

well, if it comes down to a fight, so be it. that's our options:
1) keep using Kitchener as our source of work or
2) adventure on our own

honestly, kitchener is not the only game in town. well, in Marketstone anyway, but not in the world. and do we really want to be stuck working for a guy who is so insecure that he gets bum-flustered over being called a derivation of his first name? and has goons at the ready to fight for him as soon as he gets called such? my gosh, what a pansy.

honestly, he's served his purpose in getting the band together, and we are now free to venture into the whole wide world as a group of like-minded individuals.

I'm not sure what Joe has in mind for us, but we'll see soon enough!! let the adventure begin!!!
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
Arehzo

Post by Arehzo »

I agree with Leo, anyone that has the whole town calling him a mocking name behind his back and would let a little joke devolve into a bloodbath can't be the best game in town.

I think we should let it play out, but I don't really fear the consequences of getting on his bad side.

Gannicus, Human Fighter
BFRPG: Marketstone Campaign
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

ok, that looks like 3 to let it play out vs 1 to apologize. Lets see where this goes and how much longer Doughbert gets to keep his tongue.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:(OOC: there would be a lot of dead townsman if this was his normal reaction to being called Bertie and the townsmen wouldn't be so flippant about using it if you could get killed for it.)
Or pehaps they don't call him "Bertie" to his face. Or if they do, perhaps they have the good sense to apologise.
Hywaywolf wrote:" There's a whole world of adventure out there that doesn't include Marketstone."
Hehe ... it's a fair point, but then Doughbert doesn't know the name of the campaign... :evil:
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Train tracks?

People are only flippant about people they don't fear. If was always this fearsome and they thought we were his boys, they wouldn't be flippant around us either just in case we might report back to him who is saying what.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:Train tracks?
No, not at all - it was a tongue-in-cheek comment :) .
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:People are only flippant about people they don't fear. If was always this fearsome and they thought we were his boys, they wouldn't be flippant around us either just in case we might report back to him who is saying what.
I sense you're not very happy with this, so here's an example to try and illustrate what I was aiming for with Kitchener ...

At school, I'm sure your headteacher/principal had a less than complimentary nickname. I'm also sure your headteacher/principal was well aware of what that nickname was and that it was in common parlance within your school. But you would never have dreamt of calling him/her by that nickname to their face. And if you did, you knew you would be in serious trouble. And if you subsequently refused to apologise, you'd be in even bigger trouble.

That's not dissimilar to the situation in Marketstone, except that Kitchener (for whatever reason) is ridiculously over-sensitive to being called "Bertie". And he has a somewhat different approach to punishment. I don't think Doughbert will be getting a detention or a letter home to his parents.

I'll also point out, in my defence, that the seeds of the encounter that took just place were sown many months ago ... it wasn't dreamt-up on a whim.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

You can't compare a murdering mobster to a school teacher. People would be more like the harry potter books afraid to even mention the name of "he who should not be named".
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:You can't compare a murdering mobster to a school teacher. People would be more like the harry potter books afraid to even mention the name of "he who should not be named".
Woah ... hang on a minute:

As far as you are aware, Lord Kitchomort hasn't killed anyone. Nor, for that matter, have you seen any indication that he is involved in anything illegal. It's also clear from your time in the village that the citizens don't live in terror of him ... otherwise they would all have left. On balance, most villagers would say that Kitchener is a good thing for Marketstone - he has ways of getting things done that the regular politicians don't, and it's in Kitchener's interest to ensure that the village remains prosperous. But equally, the villagers are aware that he is not someone you would want to cross. That's all. Let's move on.