Out-of-Character Chat

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Re: Out-of-Character Chat

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Birthright wrote:
Hywaywolf wrote:(OOC: we aren't really in a position to talk about this unless we leave the room and talk among ourselves.)
Depends on Joe and how he wants to run. In our FTF games, OOC strategising like this is done all the time - presumably a discussion the characters had at an earlier time.
For the record, I'm fine with you dicussing your plans in OOC. It's not completely "realistic" I know, but effective communication can be difficult enough in a PbP format without putting additional restrictions in place.
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

Hmmm. I'm not sure how to proceed. Asking for 2000gp seems a bit over the top: presumably Hall isn't interested in offending us with a paltry offer, with the risk that we walk away. At the same time, I'm certain a little bargaining is customary... the daily expense amount is not important- doesn't he want the gem by the morning?

The last job was 500gp, wasn't it? Should we ask for 1000gp and an assurance of healing in the event any of return with I'll-effects from touching the gem? Anything less and we walk-we're under no obligation to do this job after all.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

we were paid 500 gp from both bertie and the farmer. so we were paid 1000 gp when we were a ragtag bunch of individuals. Now we are a recommended (by bertie) and requested (by hall) adventuring team. We don't need to chase this gem. We still have an obligation to rid the woods of the bandits. BTW, I don't think its as simple as not touching the gem. We just ran into 5 dudes that were rotting. Do you think they all touched it or maybe they were just all it proximity. All we know it what this guy tells us and we don't anything about him.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Which is why doing a spot of research might not be a bad start. I'm sure there are legends committed to liturgical texts and archaic tomes we may be able to search. Mandross may still have his library card. A bit more about the whole "spreading disease" thing would be handy, as well as any clues to precautions. (If not handling, there may be a proximity/duration aspect to it.) Meanwhile, our fellows of a more felonious forte might be able to pick up a spot of gossip about the state of affairs amongst the criminal element. Or possibly take our more threatening companions and see about digging up the next day's password.

I mean, what the heck, we're getting paid by the day. Taking time to better understand our target would not be amiss.
Go with a smile!
_Silveredged

Post by _Silveredged »

Joe the Rat wrote: I mean, what the heck, we're getting paid by the day. Taking time to better understand our target would not be amiss.
except for the fact that it is midday (?) and Hall wants the gem in the next 12 to 15 hours (by dawn) and therefore we don't have any time really to prepare much if at all. He's expecting us to leave his premises ASAP and get to finding his gem immediately if we are to be back on his property with gem in box to put into his possession the next morning...

Honestly, this is not an ideal way to start an adventure, but I guess sometimes that's the reality of a situation: you think you will have all the time in the world to prepare and tackle a task nice and orderly, but then you suddenly find yourself in a time crunch....
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Hmmm, I seemed to have missed the whole dawn tomorrow thing.
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

The time crunch is all the more reason to ask for a decent fee. We would leaping into someone else's game without any knowledge or info of who the players are. We already wiped out one gang for another gang (bertie) without any knowledge of who was the greater threat to the region. If we are going to be patsy's we should be well paid patsys.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hywaywolf wrote:we were paid 500 gp from both bertie and the farmer. so we were paid 1000 gp
No. You were paid 250 gp + 250 gp.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

_Silveredged wrote:except for the fact that it is midday (?) and Hall wants the gem in the next 12 to 15 hours (by dawn).
No. It's 6 pm. You've got about an hour until nightfall. The enchantment on the box runs out at 6 am tomorrow morning.
_Silveredged

Post by _Silveredged »

JoeCarr28 wrote:
_Silveredged wrote:except for the fact that it is midday (?) and Hall wants the gem in the next 12 to 15 hours (by dawn).
No. It's 6 pm. You've got about an hour until nightfall. The enchantment on the box runs out at 6 am tomorrow morning.
hence the "?" i included - couldn't recall the exact time ;)

but seriously, why didn't he wait until we said we were ready to proceed before having the box enchanted? that just seems foolish to have the box enchanted before even knowing for sure you had someone ready to go get it.... maybe this will turn into a race against time AND another party...
Marketstone CampaignImageLeolannan Fletcher, Half-Elf Ranger