Out-of-Character Chat

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

Iain_IF

Re: Out-of-Character Chat

Post by Iain_IF »

There's Barney the Bear to consider as well.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Happy birthday Hywaywolf - half a century! You make me feel almost young :lol: .
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

Belated happy birthday from me too!

Now, back to business:

What do the rest of you think about this goblin tower? If the number of foes is anything like what the goblins were describing, we'll need serious reinforcements. Besides which, Tannen doesn't really have rations for another several day expedition.

What do you think about heading back to the farm at least to re-provision. Maybe even back to town? That kind of delay may make our mission harder if they relocate Alma, though with the cash we have liberated we might be able to buy some horses(?) and/or hire some men-at-arms.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

The gobs could have been exaggerating the numbers and of course how ever many there are they won't be concentrated all on one level. I am not opposed to traveling back to town and resupplying nor am I opposed to just moving north. I will do whatever the group wants. Horses make no difference to me since it won't cut the time it takes to get there if we have to go back to town to get them. I do need some more arrows (as I don't know how many arrows Paladin gave me) not to mention some more oil flasks.

I have never played with lots of retainers; just usually hired an NPC or two when the party was understrength. There are 6 of us so we are a pretty big band as it is.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Birthright wrote:Belated happy birthday from me too!

Now, back to business:

What do the rest of you think about this goblin tower? If the number of foes is anything like what the goblins were describing, we'll need serious reinforcements. Besides which, Tannen doesn't really have rations for another several day expedition.

What do you think about heading back to the farm at least to re-provision. Maybe even back to town? That kind of delay may make our mission harder if they relocate Alma, though with the cash we have liberated we might be able to buy some horses(?) and/or hire some men-at-arms.
Agreed. I hope we have enough, otherwise, we should prioritize these items. There are no rules for individual man-at-arms types, although there is Mercenary Units, but they do not assist in dungeons. Retainers/Henchmen are not an option until 2nd level.

Shopping List
Mounts
- horses x3 for humans 75x3= 225gp
- ponies x3 for others 40x3= 120gp
Rations (7days) for 6 = 60gp
Oil flasks, 10 or so would help. 10gp
Goat/Lamb/Pig/Livestock for Druid & bear = ?? 10gp or so for a few

So, we are looking at 400gp+ to spend on re-outfitting. I would be OK with dropping the idea of riding animals, instead opting for some lesser creatures to use as pack animals, and instead using funding for upgraded armor, healing potions (if available), fighting animal or two, and man-at-arms sort of help.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Regarding reinforcements ...

If you think you're short on numbers, I'd much rather bring additional players into the game (there is still a waiting list). That's less trouble for me to manage than mercenaries / retainers / henchmen.

But it would mean you're stuck with them! You couldn't hire and fire them at will.

It's your decision.

Also, I'm broadly a benevolent GM. Unless you're reckless (e.g. "Sod Alma, let's go off and explore the Valley of the Dragons") my adventures are going to be roughly level appropriate and tailored to your fire power. Well, mostly anyway :twisted:.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

There's a Valley of the Dragons? Let's go there! I'm for pushing on as we are. I don't want to face Bertie without Alma. If you want to add more players, that's fine with me as well.

I would have handed Doughbert 6 goblin arrows in a quiver and the goblin bow.

BTW, there was no yellow cloth in the first description of the crossroad clearing in the forest, so the cloth could have come later from a different source.

I'd give Barnie and the Druid a scone, but I'm out.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Iain_IF wrote:BTW, there was no yellow cloth in the first description of the crossroad clearing in the forest, so the cloth could have come later from a different source.
Or, perhaps you just didn't spot it the first time around?
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

... and happy birthday Smoot! We're clocking up the years this week.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Happy Birthday, Smoot.