Chapter 8: Councils of War

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 8

Post by Solomoriah »

Hywaywolf wrote:Simon looks over the area searching for movement, firs, or anything else that might show activity in the village. He will also scan the nearing region for any movement/light in the trees below and around them. (can Simon see the coastline from here, or if their were lights on the sub, would they be in range or would the forest still be blocking that view?)
Simon peered out intently, looking for light or activity, but the only light was the moonlight, and the only movement, a few bats flitting about. The coast proper was still a mile or so further, across a region of swampy delta-ground and forking channels. But as he gazed out, he realized that the leftmost "hut" he was seeing in the village wasn't a hut at all... it was a conning tower. Unfortunately, the sparse trees and the curvature of the ground hid the rest of the U-boat.

For reference, "leftmost" in this position means roughly "northernmost" as Morgana is presently facing in the direction of dawn.

Ahlmzahad wrote:"Lilly, I hope we can get Art aboard and head for home soon. This little trip has sure turned out to be more than we bargained for. Chin up kid Art's going to be fine. I better get a little rest before we head back down." With that Will reluctantly heads to his cabin knowing no words will console the young singer.
"Oh... you're going back down?" she said, fearfully. "Will, please be careful." She looked at him as if she would say more, but then turned and went back to her quarters.

The subtle feel of the great engines stopping was all it took to wake Tommy. Looking at the clock, he saw that he had only been asleep half an hour, but that small nap had invigorated him. He wondered if he should seek out the Captain, or await his call.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Re: Chapter 8: Councils of War

Post by Hywaywolf »

Simon pulls out his notebook and sketches a map of the village, the location of the huts, conning tower, the closest approaches of the forest to the village, any paths leading from the area of the Morgana to the village, and any other items of note while he waits for his replacement. Is their a similar totem pole in this village? Is the Morgana on the same side of the river as the village.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Simon tried hard to make a decent map, but at the oblique angle he was seeing the Suran village from, and by moonlight, it just wasn't possible. There would be no substitute for direct investigation, it seemed.
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

Since Tommy was now awake and seemingly having a hard time falling back asleep, he will get up and get his gun belt on and load up. He will see if he can find the captain, however, if the kitchen area is before where the captain is he will stop in and see if he can get a hot cup of coffee to help him out.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The phone in the Crow's Nest rang again. "Mister Lars, I've sent Green to spell you," came the Captain's voice. "Bring the rifle with you if you would, as I fear you may need it more than he does. If you're up to it, I'm sending you back down again. Likely around 0130 hours."

"Mister Mansel," said the Captain, who was standing in the passageway outside the Bridge door, "good, you're awake. We're in position now, circling down. We're going slow at it, probably half an hour before we're moored, so you might want to have a cup of tea or coffee before I send you down. Probably by around 0130 hours we'll be in position."
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Simon comes down to the mess after Green arrives, bringing the rifle, and returning the coffee carafe to the mess. Their he sees Tommy.

"So, have you heard there is a sub moored at the village. That is the most likely place to find Artie.Now we have to figure out how to get him out."

Simon pours himself another cup of coffee. Then rifles around in the mess looking for some wire.

"We need Catherine in here to tell us what the villagers are doing. The last I heard they would be attacking at dawn. We'll need to be in position to board the sub before that happens because either the Germans will be on the deck fighting or they will just pull out of the village taking Artie with them."

Simon bangs around in the drawers and cupboards some more, if he finds some wire he will hold it up and say, "Ah, here we go. If we have to go onto the sub, we need to be quiet about it." Simon wraps each of the ends of the wire around some wooden spoons, then makes a flipping gesture with it, pulling the loop closed with a jerk. "And we'll need to be fast and deadly."

If he doesn't find wire in teh mess, he'll say all that, then head to engineering to get some.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No wire in the mess, but Simon can get what he needs in the ship's stores.
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

"Sound's good sir, you read my mind," Tommy will say to the Captain, "I will be in the mess and ready to go at a moments notice." With that, Tommy will head toward the mess hall and hopefully find himself some hot coffee or tea, and maybe even a brief snack if available.

When Simon enters the mess Tommy will acknowledge him, but not say anything at first.
Hywaywolf wrote:Simon comes down to the mess after Green arrives, bringing the rifle, and returning the coffee carafe to the mess. Their he sees Tommy.

"So, have you heard there is a sub moored at the village. That is the most likely place to find Artie.Now we have to figure out how to get him out."

Simon pours himself another cup of coffee. Then rifles around in the mess looking for some wire.

"We need Catherine in here to tell us what the villagers are doing. The last I heard they would be attacking at dawn. We'll need to be in position to board the sub before that happens because either the Germans will be on the deck fighting or they will just pull out of the village taking Artie with them."
"I don't think they will be pulling out as they far out number us and for some reason we all seem stuck here, so it is doubtful they would get very far." Tommy will say to Simon.
Hywaywolf wrote:Simon bangs around in the drawers and cupboards some more, if he finds some wire he will hold it up and say, "Ah, here we go. If we have to go onto the sub, we need to be quiet about it." Simon wraps each of the ends of the wire around some wooden spoons, then makes a flipping gesture with it, pulling the loop closed with a jerk. "And we'll need to be fast and deadly."

If he doesn't find wire in teh mess, he'll say all that, then head to engineering to get some.
"That may be a good idea, we should see if anyone has any hunting knives on board. I'm going to go check out the ship's stock room and if I can't find one there, I think it best to head for the Captain to see if he knows anyone on board that has any. We don't need to shoot and draw attention to ourselves until absolutely necessary."
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Lt. Scott entered the mess just as Simon and Tommy getting up to leave. "I say, fellows," he said, "good luck with the Nazis. I'm on my way up to the Crow's Nest to see if I can figure out where we are."

Captain Pelton entered the mess behind Lt. Scott. "Mister Scott, as you're going up there anyway, I'd like you to take Green's place. After you've made your observations, you may ring the Bridge if you need to talk to me. I realize you're an officer, but we're short staffed... we all must do what needs doing."

Lt. Markwell caught Simon as he was leaving the mess. "Did I hear you say you needed some wire? I probably have what you need. Just follow me." With that, Markwell went down the passageway and into the radio room.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"Thank you, Lt." Simon says and follows Markwell, gets the wire, makes his garrotte and slips it in a pocket after making a bloodthirsty demonstration for Markwell. Then if Markwell didn't call him away for some other purpose than the wire, he will return to the crews mess and wait for Will and Tommy. Simon is impatient to get going now that he is fed and armed.

Then, he remembers the German they captured. If Captain Pelton is still in the mess he will ask him, "Sir, did you get any useful information from the captured Krout? Do you think he would be able to give us any information about where they are most likely holding Artie?"