Chapter 1: Calm Before The Storm

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
Rosisha

Re: Chapter I

Post by Rosisha »

Lars continued his inspection of the dirigible, of course missing all the conversation. He decided to inspect the cargo to make sure that the weight was evenly distributed, to keep strain off the engines. Explaining his intentions to whomever he needs to report too at this point, he proceeds too:

LARS ACTIONS:

Once in the cargo hold he will flag the door with an engineers tag to let people know he is working, and then he will close and lock the hatch. He will actually attempt to determine the weight distribution of the cargo, luggage, etc and make sure that the stewards did their job. However, in addition to that he wishes to inspect the cargo.

He will prioritize his search:

Low Priority:
Obvious ship's cargo such as food stores, spares, etc.

Middle Priority:

Large cargo items with obvious contents that can be quickly and visually IDed.

High Priority:

Personal luggage is used to transport all sorts of interesting things, such as journals and other such goodies. He wants to quickly survey items by pressing down on the luggage, and see what shows up. Anything with a book he will make a note of in his journal for later reading.

--

If he is interrupted, then he is just double checking all the work done by the stewards, and so on and so forth. As well as doing his job. If he isn't, then eventually he will end his catalog of "Interesting Luggage." He will go forward, get some food for lunch, and retreat back to the cargo room. He will pick the most interesting piece, open it and examine the contents out of the way and hidden. He will do this one item at a time, so he can hide what he is doing while "Eating his meal" and so on.

once done he will put on his whites and head up to check the rest of the ship.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Mak wrote:Artie gladly accepts the champagne ordered by Falco. He lifts the glass and suggests Falco propose a toast.
"Well, as they say in China, Gan bei!" said Cesar, lifting his glass high.

"Yes, indeed," replied Steven, "to an empty glass!"
Mak wrote:Before he quaffs the drink, he turns to Lily and says, "Here's lookin' at you, kid."
Lily smiled at Artie, then sipped at her champagne. "Ooh, bubbles," she said, girlishly.

OOC: Tried to trip me up, eh? Casablanca wasn't released until 1942. :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Rosisha wrote:Lars continued his inspection of the dirigible, of course missing all the conversation. He decided to inspect the cargo to make sure that the weight was evenly distributed, to keep strain off the engines. Explaining his intentions to whomever he needs to report too at this point, he proceeds too:

LARS ACTIONS:

Once in the cargo hold he will flag the door with an engineers tag to let people know he is working, and then he will close and lock the hatch. He will actually attempt to determine the weight distribution of the cargo, luggage, etc and make sure that the stewards did their job. However, in addition to that he wishes to inspect the cargo.
Note that luggage and other passenger cargo is stored in one place, while ship's stores are in two other rooms. Since you categorized luggage highest, I assume you start there.

The cargo hold, in the back part of B deck, is cleverly located just below the ship's overall center of gravity; thus, improper loading has little effect on the ship.

The largest item of luggage is the steamer trunk belonging to Dr. Burton and his daughter; as excess baggage weight leads to a surcharge, you are sure that it was costly to ship. It has a decent quality padlock securing it.

Lars has just begun to look at the other luggage when he hears a loud knocking at the door. "I say, who's in there? What's the meaning of tagging this door?"
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

At his table Will will take note and measure of Baron Klaust Von Malum. He’ll also try and keep tabs on the Captain’s table, especially the elderly gentleman, the trio of the handsome bodyguardish type guy, the Frenchman and his wife (but particularly the Frenchman as he's likely got the money), as well as the American on the captain’s left. He also wants to figure out what David’s (of David and Violet) interest in the Captain’s table is - business or pleasure (could there be any other?) All the while interjecting complimentary comments and questions to the Doctor Burton’s descriptions of his dig; he wonders about Catherine’s antisocial reactions (is it mainly toward men, or everyone?) but is intent on gaining her trust, mainly as a challenge but he had a feeling it would pay out in the end to have her on his ‘side’. He knew interest in her father would pay dividends in that regard. Will smiles freely and feels comfortable getting back into the game. He doesn’t drink any alcohol and keeps his wits about him at all times while intently trying to study the room (especially those above) without being obvious about it, and getting caught like David.
Solo wrote:"I'm Leftenant Briggs," said the crewman who was now sitting beside Dr. Burton, 14 "second watch command officer."

Dr. Burton offered his hand, introducing himself, and then Lt. Briggs turned and extended his hand toward Will.
"Wonderful to make your acquaintance," Will returns the greeting and handshake. Will makes a mental note to meet as many of the crewmen on board, and at least know them by name. "What's in store for this incredible trip? Anything incredible a man in the know like yourself can tell us about?" Will laughs not expecting an answer but intently studies the body language and verbal response of the Leftenant.

OOC: Love Casablanca, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone if my posting dries up (though I should be good for at least another day!)
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

LARS:

Lars goes to the door and lets a mask of calm professionalism fall over his face. Unlocking and opening the door he nods to the fellow who was knocking and indicates the room: "Engineering is checking every room for any problems in the structures. So far this room has checked out, but I am not nearly finished. Do you need something urgently? Is there something I could assist you with?" He smiles pleasantly, laying on the charm, the picture of a happy engineer, doing his work and going professionally about his business.

ACTIONS:

No matter how this guy reacts, whomever it is, Lars will be polite, kind, and considerate. He is going to REALLY lay on the charm to make sure this person goes away and likes him at the same time!

If the door being locked is a problem, this is my explanation:

"I locked the door to keep you out until I could complete my inspection. This is a safety issue. By doing so, if I do discover a problem, and if a repair does not go well, I am the only one who will be hurt. I take the safety of my fellow crew and passengers very seriously, especially after the horrible events on April 14th, 1912." He says it calmly, and takes the sting out of it with facial expression and a general feeling of concern displayed through body language: wringing his hands together, etc etc.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

rredmond wrote:"Wonderful to make your acquaintance," Will returns the greeting and handshake. Will makes a mental note to meet as many of the crewmen on board, and at least know them by name. "What's in store for this incredible trip? Anything incredible a man in the know like yourself can tell us about?" Will laughs not expecting an answer but intently studies the body language and verbal response of the Leftenant.
"Incredible? Not bloody likely. Oh, she's a marvel," he says, making an expansive gesture, "but I doubt anything interesting will happen at all. I don't suppose you've noticed, but Leftenant Chapman has just executed a twenty degree turn. Not a drop of champagne was spilled... look around, nobody even noticed. When we're properly out at sea, the view will be bloody boring. I hope the entertainment is good, because besides that and the food, there's not a thing interesting that'll happen on this trip." He takes a sip of his champagne, looking bored already.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Rosisha wrote:Lars goes to the door and lets a mask of calm professionalism fall over his face. Unlocking and opening the door he nods to the fellow who was knocking and indicates the room: "Engineering is checking every room for any problems in the structures. So far this room has checked out, but I am not nearly finished. Do you need something urgently? Is there something I could assist you with?" He smiles pleasantly, laying on the charm, the picture of a happy engineer, doing his work and going professionally about his business.
"Ah, Mister Lars," said Head Steward Bishop. "I'm not sure what you think you are doing in here, but it won't fly with me. Oh, I understand fully, structural inspection and whatnot, but you can't go around blocking access to the cargo hold just to look at the beams. And let me remind you of where you sit upon the chain of command, in case you've forgotten."

Simon Lars put on his best smile and began to speak, but Bishop interrupted. "Enough of that. Go inspect the crow's nest or something, and come back later to do this. On your own watch, perhaps. Run along now."
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Lt. Mansel wandered back to the crew mess. He knew that several of the other officers were going up to A deck to have brunch with the passengers; but he didn't feel particularly sociable (not that he ever was, actually) so stood a moment, looking at the bulletin board in the mess and trying to decide how to spend the rest of his "off watch." One thing that seemed in short supply on the Morgana was personal space... he wondered if there was a single place on board where he could find a bit of peace.
Mak

Post by Mak »

Artie is feeling good. The champagne is fine, the mood euphoric and celebratory, and the company none too shabby. He even feels himself warming to Falco. You can't blame the guy for wanting to make an impression on Lily, he tells himself, nor Lily for soaking up the attention. Although there's some other dames in this room that are gonna give her a bit of competition...

During a break in the conversation he asks of the table generally, "So which of these suits is Mr Pennington? I'd like to know to whom I owe the pleasure of this gig."
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Mak wrote:During a break in the conversation he asks of the table generally, "So which of these suits is Mr Pennington? I'd like to know to whom I owe the pleasure of this gig."
"Not here, I'm afraid," said Steven Vance. "I heard a couple of crewmen saying he was unable to come. His seat at the Captain's left was taken by Monday, there. See him? Fellow with the gray hair and the tailored suit. One of the richest men in the world, and this is the first time in years he's come out in public. Heard he was real close friends with Pennington."