Chapter 1: Calm Before The Storm

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
Rosisha

Re: Chapter I: Calm Before The Storm

Post by Rosisha »

Solomoriah wrote:It was obvious that the older man was returning his heavy burden to the cargo hold. Greaves opened the door to the cargo hold and held it, motioning for the older man to pass. "Right, you know the way, Doctor," he said. "I'm sorry, Mister Thornton, I didn't see you there," he said then, seeming surprised. "Are you needing something from your luggage?"
Watching from the corner of his eye he placed his plate, cup, spoon, and fork down, but kept the knife out and slipped it into his sleeve. The man seemed to be trouble, and definitly was not expected. Simon didn't know what was going to happen, but he wanted to be ready. He moved aside, and while keeping Mister Thornton visible, he pretended to be talking to some of the crew: "everyone's friend!"

ACTIONS:
If Mr. Thornton decides to pull something, Simon will charge in and attempt to break it up. If not, he will mark Mr. Thornton as a person to watch carefully.

Ros
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Solomoriah wrote:... "I'm sorry, Mister Thornton, I didn't see you there," he said then, seeming surprised. "Are you needing something from your luggage?"
"Oh," Will responds, feigning being just as surprised, "I am still in awe by the sight of the totem. There's a certain something about it," he takes in as much of the cargo hold as he can without being caught, "I feel like there's questions I want to ask about it but can't quite put them into words, you know?" Will looks around as if confused as to how he even got here, using that opportunity to continue looking around, "so sorry Mr. Greaves, I feel I'm wasting your time here when I know you've got so much to do. The Professor and I room together, so I'll just head back with him," Will finishes taking a more relaxed stance, and an obvious look into the hold to see where the Professor is. Anything in the cargo hold, or big room at the top of the stairs to note? I'm fearing just a bunch of suitcases, but mayhap a crate or two that would cost dear to be on a 'light baggage only' kinda trip.
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

Mak wrote:He wanders aft to the lookout, finding there a large, imposing figure who appears to be a member of the crew. Artie moves up beside him. "Hey mac," he says in greeting.

He looks out at the receding coastline. "Toodle-oo," he says in a mock posh English accent. "I don't know about you," he says to Mansel, "but I ain't crying at saying goodbye to Jolly Old England. It sure wasn't too jolly for me."

"You English?" he asks.
Glancing briefly at Artie and then looking back out at the coastline Tomas says, "Yes sir, as a matter of fact I am. This is not the first time and probably won't be the last time that I say goodbye to 'Jolly Old England.' I take it your not from around here?"

Actions:
Tomas will attempt to amuse Artie just long enough to get rid of him, and if he doesn't seem to be wanting to leave, then Thomas will leave and head to his quarters. I'm sure by now it is getting about time for him to clean up and get ready for bed as shift two comes about, however, if not, instead of heading to his quarters he will explore around the ship some more.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

rredmond wrote:"Oh," Will responds, feigning being just as surprised, "I am still in awe by the sight of the totem. There's a certain something about it," he takes in as much of the cargo hold as he can without being caught, "I feel like there's questions I want to ask about it but can't quite put them into words, you know?" Will looks around as if confused as to how he even got here, using that opportunity to continue looking around, "so sorry Mr. Greaves, I feel I'm wasting your time here when I know you've got so much to do. The Professor and I room together, so I'll just head back with him,"
"Indeed, sir," said Greaves, sounding very butler-like. Lars sneered to himself, thinking Surely Greaves can see through his act. But if he did, Mr. Greaves gave no sign.
rredmond wrote:Will finishes taking a more relaxed stance, and an obvious look into the hold to see where the Professor is. Anything in the cargo hold, or big room at the top of the stairs to note? I'm fearing just a bunch of suitcases, but mayhap a crate or two that would cost dear to be on a 'light baggage only' kinda trip.
The only unusual thing Will could spy through the open cargo hold door was the steamer trunk, into which Dr. Burton put the Totem. The other visible luggage consisted of more modestly-sized bags; none of them stood out in any significant way. Of course, Will realized he could see only a small slice of the room.

Will heard the metallic click of a padlock, and realized that Burton had finished his task and was returning. As he was still standing on the narrow staircase, with Greaves and Burton below him, Will realized he had to turn around and precede them up the stairs to A deck. He really preferred to be last in line in such a situation, but there seemed no way to avoid it.

Artie quickly realized that Tommy had him at a disadvantage... neither his clothes nor his body was as heavy as the Leftenant's. The chill that Tommy was ignoring quickly threatened to make Artie's teeth chatter.

GM Note: Lars and Thornton are basically done for Chapter I, unless you think of any last-minute actions you'd like to attempt. Lars and Mansel will be in their "sleep" watch shortly, and I intend to move over it rather swiftly with Artie and Will, hopefully in a page or less of Chapter II. Once the discussion between Artie and Tommy has concluded, I'll get it started.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mak

Post by Mak »

crazycrypt wrote:Glancing briefly at Artie and then looking back out at the coastline Tomas says, "Yes sir, as a matter of fact I am. This is not the first time and probably won't be the last time that I say goodbye to 'Jolly Old England.' I take it your not from around here?"
"No, I'm from America. Been away for a while. I like your country, but it just wasn't for me. I shoulda gone to Paris, like Gershwin. London is fantastic, but the weather... it got so that I started writing songs about the fog!* Say, why is it so darned cold back here?" Artie shivers.
crazycrypt wrote: Tomas will attempt to amuse Artie just long enough to get rid of him, and if he doesn't seem to be wanting to leave, then Thomas will leave and head to his quarters.
Artie gets the sense that the burly crewman is not interested in talking; in any event, the cold is making it uncomfortable to be there at all. "Hey, name's Artie Evans, I'm playing up in the lounge. You should come by and check it out. We've got a great singer on board," he offers, not really knowing if that's true or not.

"I'd better get out of here before I turn blue. Nice meeting you, buddy."

Artie heads back inside and up to his stateroom. His body soon warms up but Artie still feels tense. He soon realizes that the strange sensation he experienced in the presence of that lump of stone he saw in the lounge has put him off. Eerie, is what that was, thinks Artie. Maybe he'll tell Lily about it. Before he goes into his own room, he knocks on Lily's door to see if she's in.

Post by crazycrypt »

Mak wrote:"No, I'm from America. Been away for a while. I like your country, but it just wasn't for me. I shoulda gone to Paris, like Gershwin. London is fantastic, but the weather... it got so that I started writing songs about the fog!* Say, why is it so darned cold back here?" Artie shivers.
"It's cold back here because we are so high up, the higher you go, the colder it gets."
Mak wrote:Artie gets the sense that the burly crewman is not interested in talking; in any event, the cold is making it uncomfortable to be there at all. "Hey, name's Artie Evans, I'm playing up in the lounge. You should come by and check it out. We've got a great singer on board," he offers, not really knowing if that's true or not.
"The name's Thomas Mansel, but most call me Tommy. Working 3rd shift around here might make it tough to come and listen, but we'll see."
Mak wrote:"I'd better get out of here before I turn blue. Nice meeting you, buddy."
Snickering a little bit at the fact Artie is turning blue, Thomas says, "Yeah, I've got to be going real soon as well."

Action:
Waiting till Artie leaves, Tom will then also leave and head towards his quarters to get ready for bed. He will take a shower before bed if possible and then will go to bed when second shift comes on duty.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Solomoriah wrote: GM Note: Lars and Thornton are basically done for Chapter I, unless you think of any last-minute actions you'd like to attempt. Lars and Mansel will be in their "sleep" watch shortly, and I intend to move over it rather swiftly with Artie and Will, hopefully in a page or less of Chapter II. Once the discussion between Artie and Tommy has concluded, I'll get it started.
OOC: I'm good. Like you said Will's not in the best spot to do much of anything now. Clarification though, Will doesn't know he's been made by Lars, correct?
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

OOC: Whoops.

As he ascended the staircase, Will spared a quick glance at the crewman. He might be on to me, he thought, best keep an eye on him.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

By the way, I've started Chapter II.