Chapter 6: Excursions

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
rredmond

Re: Chapter 6: Excursions

Post by rredmond »

Solomoriah wrote:Dr. Burton looked pleased, and Michael Lloyd was quite excited when Will arrived. "Look, Will, I think we have it!" Michael held out a notepad for Will to look at.

It read:
By Blood the Gate is Opened
Seven are Its Ways
Seven and Seven are The Spirits
A True Son Must Heed Their Words

"I believe it's a prayer of some sort," said Lloyd when Will was finished. "What do you think?"
Or instructions, he thinks to himself, feeling some sweat forming on his brow. "That's incredible," Will says to them. He looks at the totem, it hasn't changed again has it? He'll carefully touch the top and turn it around. Then he'll take a spare piece of note paper and recopy their translation. "I wonder what they mean by gate?" he'll wonder aloud to the two. "Spirits? True Son? It does sound like a prayer. What do you think it's telling the supplicant to do?"

Once he gets the info, and makes his copy, Will races back to catch up with Tommy.
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

rredmond wrote:Or instructions, he thinks to himself, feeling some sweat forming on his brow. "That's incredible," Will says to them. He looks at the totem, it hasn't changed again has it?
The Totem is absent. Sorry I didn't mention that.
rredmond wrote:Then he'll take a spare piece of note paper and recopy their translation. "I wonder what they mean by gate?" he'll wonder aloud to the two. "Spirits? True Son? It does sound like a prayer. What do you think it's telling the supplicant to do?"
"No idea, son," replied Burton. "I'm not convinced it's a prayer per se, but I'm sure it has something to do with the gods of the Mondabe." He frowned then. "The business of the carving changing, now, that bothers me. It can't be the same Totem... someone's playing an elaborate trick here."
rredmond wrote:Once he gets the info, and makes his copy, Will races back to catch up with Tommy.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Nazim

Post by Nazim »

Artie sighs and begins looking around. The day has been heavy on him, and he feels it. He wanders around the village a bit, watching the preparations. He approaches some of the villagers, in search of company. Artie is good with a quick joke (even though he's not sure how his wit will play out in this new language), and tries to break the tension that his presence among the villagers seems to inspire. If that works well, he starts chatting them up in an attempt to gauge if they are expecting something from the "gods." If the attempt has a positive return, the pianist will do his best to explore what it is that they expect.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Simon ducks his head a bit at Catherine's comments, he simply likes to read a lot, and when one comes from a culture rich in legends and stories, it is easy to identify common themes. Perhaps, even, a common ancestry for all human culture, though he chooses not to speculate on such matters. He waves as Catherine leaves to interview the women, and turns again to the others. "Indeed, blood may be taboo. Then again, it may not. We have to proceed carefully, and determine what is most common." he chuckles and seems to be comfortable despite the nature of the village. He doesn't seem willing to let it bother him.

He comes closer to his group, ignoring for a moment the outside world. "As for the compass, what is it doing? Spinning erratically, or with a pattern? There could be some data there we are overlooking." He pauses for a moment. "I think it is safe to say that we are in an entirely strange and unexpected situation. One in which forces are acting that are beyond our current comprehension. Therefore, I believe, we should not overlook any clue as it were, to our location. If the compass, is spinning steadily, that could be a sign that we are near a magnetic pole, as crazy as that sounds. This could be relevant however."
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

rredmond wrote:"I'm good to go, I just have to go get something," Will responds to Tommy. This is when, after ensuring himself that he can find Tommy again, he'll run to Burton and Lloyd (incorporated, sorry couldn't resist) and ask them for an update, and then hurry back to find out what kind of insanely dangerous way that Tommy has to tie off and head down to the ground.
"No problem," Tommy says to Will, "We can meet up on the aft overlook after I find Mr. Green and figure out a way to tie us down."
Solomoriah wrote:"That's what I was thinking. Someone with a bit of courage, or foolhardiness perhaps, could go down one of the aft ladders and tie off the rope to a tree or some such. Tell me, sir, are you familiar with proper naval knots?"
OCC: Tommy has "Knowledge (Military Procedures)" in his skill set so I am going to assume that it includes how to tie a proper naval knot.

ICC: "I was in the military for several years, I'm sure a proper knot will not be a problem," Tommy will say to Mr. Green. "And I'm just the fool to give this a shot," Tommy will say with a slight chuckle.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Then I'll make the rope fast here while you make ready to go down there."
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

Solomoriah wrote:"Then I'll make the rope fast here while you make ready to go down there."
"Sounds good to me, I'm as ready as I'll ever be," Tommy will say to Mr. Green. "I'm going to go ahead and head up to the aft overlook and prepare the ladder while I wait for you and will to arrive."
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

So sayeth the DM wrote:"No idea, son," replied Burton. "I'm not convinced it's a prayer per se, but I'm sure it has something to do with the gods of the Mondabe." He frowned then. "The business of the carving changing, now, that bothers me. It can't be the same Totem... someone's playing an elaborate trick here."
Will pauses for a millisecond, and smiles, "I know tricks Doctor Burton, the knowledge to do what you say lies only with you, your daughter, or Mr. Lloyd, the ability to re-create the totem in such a manner," Will shrugs, "I'd love to figure out this puzzle with you two, but I've got to get moving. Thanks for this!" He'll wave the paper with the translation in front of them and rushes to the aft overlook. Hopefully just in time to see Tommy take a swan dive holding just the rope to tie us off! :D
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Will met Tommy at the stairwell, on his way to the aft overlook. They proceeded together to the overlook, opened the portside gate and dropped the associated ladder. Morgana had descended to within fifty feet of the ground or so, and the ladder was just touching the ground below. Will and Tommy could see the natives looking up at them, and some of the excursion party members were visible also.

Chief Engineer Green arrived shortly. "The rope is down, sir."
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

Solomoriah wrote:Will met Tommy at the stairwell, on his way to the aft overlook. They proceeded together to the overlook, opened the portside gate and dropped the associated ladder. Morgana had descended to within fifty feet of the ground or so, and the ladder was just touching the ground below. Will and Tommy could see the natives looking up at them, and some of the excursion party members were visible also.

Chief Engineer Green arrived shortly. "The rope is down, sir."
"Thank you Mr. Green. Will why don't you wait here till I get us tied off before you come down," Tommy will say. Unless anyone objects Tommy will start down the ladder while attempting to pay close attention to what is below him as to not climb down into the middle of something. When he gets to the ground, he will find a rather large tree, as they generally are well rooted, to tie the Dirigible to, and then will tie it up. Once tied up he will wave to will instead of hollering as he doesn't want to attract to much attention. If Will doesn't respond, and as a last resort, Tommy will holler up to Will to get him to come down.