Chapter 6: Excursions

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
crazycrypt

Re: Chapter VI: Excursions

Post by crazycrypt »

Solomoriah wrote:A "Luger" circa 1936 is basically a Luger P08; this weapon was sold in two calibres, 7.65mm and 9mm. The saboteur's guns are 9mm, and I assume yours is also, so yes, you can share ammo with them.

In case you are unfamiliar with this weapon: The Luger P08 accepts an 8 round magazine. I made a mistake above... each saboteur's gun has 6 rounds loaded.
OCC: I was pretty sure there was two different calibers, however, I wasn't for sure just which version that the other crewmen had. That is Great, I will offer them each some ammo to fill their guns and to have a little extra for them. I will then carry the rest of my ammo and my extra 2 ammo clips on me as to make sure and have plenty of ammo. If necessary I will leave some behind, but want to carry on me as much as possible.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Rosisha wrote:He reports back as ready to go, and gets ready to depart.
"Very good, Mister Lars," said Reginald Monday. "Here, we're to be a team, aren't we? Let's dispense with the honorifics. Hereafter, I insist you all call me Reginald. Your first name is Simon, isn't it?"
rredmond wrote:I never noted what I was bringing aboard, but Will is the type of guy who'd have a Swiss Army Knife (or even a Soldiers Knife, more easily found before the inception of the SAK) no matter the cost, as well as a set of innocuous thieving tools. The tools I'll leave stashed in some clothes, but the SAK would come with Will, if the GM allows it. If he doesn't have one, he'll ask around for one. He'll also dress in comfortable, light long sleeved clothing, and see about getting a decent knife from the kitchen that is thick as well as sharp, something that he can safely stash in the back of his pants, under a light jacket that can be tied around the waist if necessary, but can be used as a weapon or in a utility knife type of fashion. He'll see about getting a good long length of strong rope, put as a bandolier across his chest, as well as some adhesive tape or glue of some strong sort - if we've got it. "You never know when adhesive will come in handy."
The ship's stores include a supply of nasty-smelling glue to be used when patching the envelope fabric. It's not suitable for general purpose use. Other than Scotch tape (which the radio man has a few rolls of), the only other tape on board is some gummed packing tape (which must be wetted to stick, and only really sticks to paper).

As to the knife issue: Will does have a pocket knife, if he so desires. Note that he should specify whether it is a regular pocket knife, or a "pen knife" which is smaller. Instead of a regular pocket knife, he might have a lockblade variety. True "Swiss Army Knives," while available in 1936, would be exceptionally rare outside the European military.

rredmond wrote:He'll spend the rest of the time getting used to the gun, and when folks start talking about the rifles he'll laugh, "such would be wasted on me, my marksmanship is spotty at best, but this" hefting the gun carefully, "will serve me fine up close, if it comes to that."
During the talk of the "offering gifts" piece of the plan he becomes a mite worried, "should we be offering them weapons?" He'll ask cautiously.
"I don't think it's an issue, Will," replied Monday. "We can see from here that they have spears. A steak knife is not a comparable weapon."
Mak wrote:"How about a mirror and a pair of scissors? We could revolutionize personal care among these people in one fell swoop!"
The only person who seemed to notice Artie's comment was Catherine, who turned a cold glare on him. "Don't underestimate them because they aren't as advanced as we are. If you don't show them respect, you'll only get yourself in trouble."
crazycrypt wrote:Tommy will reload his gun, since I haven't stated it already, and gather up all of his ammunition (yes, all 10 boxes) and will also grab his extra two clips and make sure they are full as well and place them readily available to him and will then return to the Captain. When the Captain gives out the other guns and says that they are low on ammo, he will pipe up and say, "Captain sir, I do have some extra ammo for my Luger, I always come prepared, if you would like to tap out their pistols and have a little extra." If the Captain says yes, then he will pull out one box of his ammo and give it to them to split and say, "Here, split this between the two of you, I still have some extra."
Each box of 9x19mm Parabellum ammo holds 20 rounds, so Will and Artie each get 10 rounds of ammunition. After filling each weapon up, this leaves 8 rounds spare each.
Mak wrote:Artie accepts any extra ammo offered him (although he doesn't want his pockets bulging uncomfortably), then ducks down the hallway to see if Lily's in her cabin.

"I'll see you later, Lily. Odds are Catherine'll figure out where we are just from listening to the locals talk and then it'll be off home. And the sooner that happens, the sooner we'll be back to music."

"If something does happen down there... well, Pelton seems to have a level head. I think you can trust him to do the best thing. He'll keep the ship safe. Don't worry about me and the others. We'll be fine."
"Oh Artie," she said, tears on her face. She threw her arms around him and kissed him, hard, for just a moment, then turned away suddenly into her room. "Do be careful!" she said, still facing away from him.
crazycrypt wrote:OCC: I was pretty sure there was two different calibers, however, I wasn't for sure just which version that the other crewmen had. That is Great, I will offer them each some ammo to fill their guns and to have a little extra for them. I will then carry the rest of my ammo and my extra 2 ammo clips on me as to make sure and have plenty of ammo. If necessary I will leave some behind, but want to carry on me as much as possible.
As stated above, each box of ammo contains 20 rounds. This makes each pasteboard box of ammo 2" x 1.6" x 1.25" in size. Nine such boxes would leave your pockets bulging. I'd suggest perhaps four boxes, distributed in your jacket pockets, two on each side. This is 80 rounds of ammunition, after all. If you wish to carry more, that's up to you.

Finally, all the members of the excursion party had arrived in the aft passageway. The Captain said, "Mister Monday, I wish you the best. I'm told that Mister Green has made us fast. Mister Lars, please lead the party out to the aft overlook, and let down one of the emergency ladders."

Morgana has two emergency ladders hidden in cubbyholes in the floor of the aft overlook. The two gates previously used by the saboteurs permit these rope ladders to be let down. Each ladder is 25' long when let down; they are not winched up, but rather merely rolled up into their compartments.

"Yes," said Monday, "let use be off!"
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

OCC: 4 boxes is great, I wasn't sure how many each box held and hadn't taken the time to look it up yet. Tommy will leave the other 5 boxes put away with his stuff and will take the 4 full boxes and the two extra clips (full of ammo) with him.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Solomoriah wrote:The ship's stores include a supply of nasty-smelling glue to be used when patching the envelope fabric. It's not suitable for general purpose use. Other than Scotch tape (which the radio man has a few rolls of), the only other tape on board is some gummed packing tape (which must be wetted to stick, and only really sticks to paper).

As to the knife issue: Will does have a pocket knife, if he so desires. Note that he should specify whether it is a regular pocket knife, or a "pen knife" which is smaller. Instead of a regular pocket knife, he might have a lockblade variety. True "Swiss Army Knives," while available in 1936, would be exceptionally rare outside the European military.
Okay, scratch the adhesive then! My father was an electrician, I bring electric tape EVERYWHERE, it's just a thing :D . I'm no knife expert, but if they came in various sizes Will would have a medium lockknife, not too big that it could only be used for hunting/weapon purposes, but big and strong enough that it could be used for various functions, utility, including a weapon.
Solo wrote: "Yes," said Monday, "let use be off!"
Will takes a big breath, "okay, I'm ready."
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Simon nods, "Simon it is then!" He laughs and heads with everyone else to the aft overlook. "Might I recommend we don't all scramble down? I suggest two down first, those with the rifles cover, everyone else down two at a time fanning out to cover our departure point, and once all down and landing secure, the last two down? Then someone should have the captain roll up the ladders and post a watch." He waits, not sure if his suggestion will be heeded, but offering it all the same. He checks his revolver one more time, it is a solid weapon, reliable, and one he trusts. It won't jam like a luger, and will work in all weather conditions. Satisfied he is ready, he secures his pack to his back, and waits for his turn to go down the ladder. In his uniform, he keeps his pistol in his belt, for lack of a better place for it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Tommy, isn't it?" said Reginald Monday to Leftenant Mansel. "Tommy, please descend first, if you would. Simon, you next. Tommy can keep a lookout while Simon assists the rest of us to descend. Catherine, you follow Simon, if you don't mind, and then Steve, Will, Artie, and I will follow."
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

"Yes sir, sounds good to me," Tommy says. With that, Tommy will head down the ladder first and as soon as he gets down he will stand guard as ordered and await for the rest of them to descend.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Simon waits for Tommy to get down, and then quickly shimmers down the ladder. He makes sure to dart his eyes around the landscape, looking for anything that could be dangerous, such as a flying spear, or large croc. Once he is at the bottom he will hold the ladder steady and shout out "Ready below."
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Will puts his senses on hyperalert, and heads down in order. It's going to take more than a spear to get me off this ladder in mid air, he thinks scanning the land as he climbs down.
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Morgana was tethered to a lone tree, perhaps a hundred yards from the parti-coloured tent. The sere brown grass crunched under Tommy's feet. Standing on solid ground felt good, he thought as he looked around. He could see four of the native guards, the other two being obscured by the circular tent. Though they did not stand "at attention," they certainly had an air of discipline to them, Tommy thought.

Simon Lars spared a glance in that direction, before turning to his task assisting with the ladder. Catherine came down next, moving efficiently as though experienced at climbing rope ladders; Steve Vance seemed less sure of himself, but made it fine.

Next came Will, more than a little awkwardly. Upon alighting, he quickly took in the scene. The guards in view were affecting a casual confidence, but underneath he could see they were apprehensive.

Artie came down a bit less awkwardly, and last came Reginald Monday. Will noted that Monday seemed more experienced with the rope ladder than one might expect of a reclusive millionaire... but then, who knows what such a man might do for fun?

"Gentlemen... and lady... please keep your weapons stowed," said Monday, straightening his shirt. "Is everyone ready to proceed?"