Chapter 6: Excursions

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Chapter 6: Excursions

Post by Solomoriah »

Rosisha wrote:Lars will finish his search and report back to the Captain. After discovering he will be assigned to the mission, he will take the gun he "found" and ask for permission to go get changed. When he discovers that we have rifles available Simon will offer his services there as well. "I've used a rifle a few times, and am handy with one against a moving target if we need it."
Up to this point, Lars had no reason to know there were rifles aboard.

At the invitation of Reginald Monday, the excursion party began to assemble in the aft passageway; the Captain and Dr. Burton appeared there also. Simon Lars saw that Catherine was armed with a hunting rifle, a Winchester 1910... a classic of sorts, .401 calibre, apparently in excellent repair.
Mak wrote:Artie goes back to his stateroom. He dresses in comfortable, loose clothes and doesn't bother to put on a jacket -- it looks warm to him down there. In his pockets he puts a penknife, some matches, a pencil and a small pad of paper.

He then goes in search of Reginald Monday. "Thanks for inviting me along. Not sure how much use I'll be, but I sure am curious to find out where we are. Listen, I've had a thought: maybe we should bring a diplomatic gift of some kind to present to the high honcho. Might smooth things over a little bit. I have no idea what that might be; maybe some nice silverware from the dining room? What do you think?"
"An excellent idea, Mister Evans," he replied. "Doctor, Catherine... can you suggest something?"

"A good knife is worth more to most native peoples than most things we might offer," replied Dr. Burton. "Oh, certainly, baubles and the like would work, but I'd rather do them some actual good. Captain, could we perhaps part with a steak knife or two?"

"I think we might be able to do that," he replied. Opening the door to the forward passage, he yelled "Mister Bishop, come here please!" When the chief steward had appeared, he continued, "Doctor Burton suggests we might offer the savages a few steak knives as a gift. Please see to it."

"Yes, sir," replied Bishop. "The cutlery is on B deck. Excuse me, please." He worked his way through the crowd to the stairs and went down.

"While we wait, let me pass out the weapons we've... collected. Mister Evans, here's one of the Lugers. We don't have a lot of ammunition for them. I've evened out the two weapons, so both have eight rounds loaded. Here, take this one too, give it to Mister Thornton when he appears. Mister Lars, here's the weapon you found."

GM Note: I like how Mak has done it here. Please list the items you plan to carry on your persons.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Rosisha

Re: Chapter VI: Excursions

Post by Rosisha »

Lars checks his pistol, making sure that it is still loaded. He then takes a moment to go to his state room. He looses the coveralls, and instead dresses in a pair of boots, comfortable slacks, and a light cotton shirt. He takes a handful of bullets form his tin and puts them in his pocket, after replacing the one he shot. He grabs his notebook, shoves it into his shirt pocket, puts on a belt and shoves the pistol into it. Finally, he takes his sack and loads it with a torch, and a small number of tools in case needed.

He reports back as ready to go, and gets ready to depart.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

I never noted what I was bringing aboard, but Will is the type of guy who'd have a Swiss Army Knife (or even a Soldiers Knife, more easily found before the inception of the SAK) no matter the cost, as well as a set of innocuous thieving tools. The tools I'll leave stashed in some clothes, but the SAK would come with Will, if the GM allows it. If he doesn't have one, he'll ask around for one. He'll also dress in comfortable, light long sleeved clothing, and see about getting a decent knife from the kitchen that is thick as well as sharp, something that he can safely stash in the back of his pants, under a light jacket that can be tied around the waist if necessary, but can be used as a weapon or in a utility knife type of fashion. He'll see about getting a good long length of strong rope, put as a bandolier across his chest, as well as some adhesive tape or glue of some strong sort - if we've got it. "You never know when adhesive will come in handy." He'll spend the rest of the time getting used to the gun, and when folks start talking about the rifles he'll laugh, "such would be wasted on me, my marksmanship is spotty at best, but this" hefting the gun carefully, "will serve me fine up close, if it comes to that."
During the talk of the "offering gifts" piece of the plan he becomes a mite worried, "should we be offering them weapons?" He'll ask cautiously.
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Mak

Post by Mak »

"How about a mirror and a pair of scissors? We could revolutionize personal care among these people in one fell swoop!"
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

Tommy will reload his gun, since I haven't stated it already, and gather up all of his ammunition (yes, all 10 boxes) and will also grab his extra two clips and make sure they are full as well and place them readily available to him and will then return to the Captain. When the Captain gives out the other guns and says that they are low on ammo, he will pipe up and say, "Captain sir, I do have some extra ammo for my Luger, I always come prepared, if you would like to tap out their pistols and have a little extra." If the Captain says yes, then he will pull out one box of his ammo and give it to them to split and say, "Here, split this between the two of you, I still have some extra."

OCC: I'm not sure if they are the exact same Luger as mine, however, if they are I might as well. If they are not, I will just reload my gun and grab the extra boxes of ammunition and put them in my pockets.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Rosisha wrote:Lars checks his pistol, making sure that it is still loaded. He then takes a moment to go to his state room. He looses the coveralls, and instead dresses in a pair of boots, comfortable slacks, and a light cotton shirt.
Military (and pseudo-military, relevant in this case) procedure circa 1936 would call for Lars to be in uniform at all times, save only when on leave. He would have no reason to be familiar with protocols for meeting natives, so he'll have to guess which uniform is appropriate. If you really want Lars to appear in civvies, I need to know that.
Mak

Post by Mak »

Artie accepts any extra ammo offered him (although he doesn't want his pockets bulging uncomfortably), then ducks down the hallway to see if Lily's in her cabin.

"I'll see you later, Lily. Odds are Catherine'll figure out where we are just from listening to the locals talk and then it'll be off home. And the sooner that happens, the sooner we'll be back to music."

"If something does happen down there... well, Pelton seems to have a level head. I think you can trust him to do the best thing. He'll keep the ship safe. Don't worry about me and the others. We'll be fine."
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

crazycrypt wrote:OCC: I'm not sure if they are the exact same Luger as mine, however, if they are I might as well. If they are not, I will just reload my gun and grab the extra boxes of ammunition and put them in my pockets.
A "Luger" circa 1936 is basically a Luger P08; this weapon was sold in two calibres, 7.65mm and 9mm. The saboteur's guns are 9mm, and I assume yours is also, so yes, you can share ammo with them.

In case you are unfamiliar with this weapon: The Luger P08 accepts an 8 round magazine. I made a mistake above... each saboteur's gun has 6 rounds loaded.
Mak

Post by Mak »

OOC: What with all this talk about gun specs and such, I thought it would be a propos to include an image of Artie's 3.5" x 5.5" Moleskine notebook, purchased in an artists' supply shop on the Left Bank during a jaunt to Paris in the early 1930s:
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

OOC: Ooooh okay. See, I wasn't certain what would be appropriate for this little jaunt. In that case I will wear a standard uniform, but keep the excess gear: the bag, the bullets, the tools, etc etc.

Rosisha