Chapter 5: Alarums

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Chapter 5: Alarums

Post by Solomoriah »

It was just past five AM when Green and Lars got two-thirds of number one running again. Tired but pleased with their work, they proceeded down to B deck. "Mister Lars, feel free to go ahead and clean up," said Green. "You have just two hours left on watch anyway. I'm going forward to check on things in the bridge; it was fearfully hard to hear Leftenant Briggs on the telephone in the engine room."

Leftenant Briggs entered the bridge. "Almost morning, Tommy," he said. "It appears I'll be taking the helm first watch. Tried to get some sleep, but I really couldn't. Nice to have most of our power back, eh? Have to hand it to Green, he really knows how to get things done."

The First Mate glanced at the clock, then at the forward window, and frowned. Walking forward, he checked the compass, then leaned over the railing to look out toward the horizon. "Something is wrong here," he said. "I'll be right back." With that, he left the bridge.

A few minutes later, he returned. "Leftenant, we have a problem. We're going the wrong way. Oh, certainly, the compass says we are proceeding eastward, but I'm afraid the sun says we are going west, and between you and I, I suspect the sun is right." He sighed deeply. "Bring us around toward the sunrise, Mansel, while I go and wake the Captain. He won't be pleased, I'm sure."

As Tommy prepared to turn the ship about, he looked out toward the slowly-brightening horizon, and stopped cold. Land, he thought, there's land out there. But we're hours away from England, and a couple of days from Canada, and Iceland is too far off our course...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
crazycrypt

Re: Chapter IV: Storm

Post by crazycrypt »

"Leftenant Briggs, going the wrong way or not I see land just ahead. What do you make of it?" Tommy says inquisitively. "Do you still want me to turn the ship around?"

OCC: I started to ask about turning around with the compass and everything after the storm, but couldn't make up my mind if it was me or if it was off, lol.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Mak wrote:Artie looks out the window, then at his watch, to check the time. If the day has dawned, he heads out to freshen up in the W.C. and then comes back to go in search of Dr. Burton. He has some questions to ask the professor.
OOC: Sorry I missed this. I doubt it makes any difference, though.

It was still dark outside. Artie looked at his alarm clock; the radium-illuminated hands indicated quarter to four.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

crazycrypt wrote:"Leftenant Briggs, going the wrong way or not I see land just ahead. What do you make of it?" Tommy says inquisitively. "Do you still want me to turn the ship around?"
"Eh?" came Briggs' reply from the passageway. Returning, he looked out, squinting. "What the hell? What country is that?" He looked a moment more, then went back to the passageway and knocked at the Captain's door.

"Yes, Mister Briggs?" said the Captain, sounding a bit grumpy.

"Sir, I regret to inform you that we seem to be well off course. The compass indicates that we are proceeding eastward, but the sun is rising behind us. But that's not all, sir... Leftenant Mansel has sighted land ahead of us."

"Bloody hell," replied Captain Pelton. "I'm too old for this, Mister Briggs. I should have just retired. But it seemed so easy when Mister Pennington offered me the job. Hasn't been a bit easy."

Just then, the radio room door opened. "Oh, Captain," said Markwell. "Didn't know you were up."

"Have you gotten the radio operational, Mister Markwell?" said the Captain abruptly.

"Yes, sir. I think so, sir. Everything seems to be working fine, but I've been trying for more than an hour and still can't raise anyone."

"And have you double-checked everything?"

"Yes, sir," replied Markwell. "Double-checked, and double-checked again. It's hard to know for sure, but I think it's all correct."

"Very well, Mister Markwell. I don't suppose, if I tell you to get some rest, that you'll obey me?"

"Well, if you insist, sir," said the radio man, hesitantly.

The Captain smiled a grim smile. "Do what you need to, Markwell. I won't make it an order, but don't work yourself into the ground. When we get a signal, we need you to be sharp enough to deal with it." Turning to Briggs, he said, "You say we are facing some unknown coastline? Well, stay on this course for the moment. I'll get myself cleaned up and dressed, and by that time the sun should be up. Perhaps in daylight we'll be able to see where we are."
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

OCC: Does Mr. Briggs come in and tell Tommy to stay on course or does Tommy hear the Captain tell Mr. Briggs that?
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Lars, who had come down to freshen up, hears the commotion and comes forward to the Bridge. "Excuse me, land?" He mutters. "Could we be near Ireland?" He stares out at the unfamiliar coast. "Or perhaps not." He ponders the situation. "Do we have a telescope aboard? Perhaps we can get a closer look at this coastline. Find a place to land, or at least someone to talk too."

He stares, worried that they might be approaching Spain, where trouble was certainly brewing, and an unknown aircraft would result in a shoot down. He moves towards the window and places his hand against it, staring out over the unfamiliar landscape. He has a feeling that this isn't Spain...

Ros
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

crazycrypt wrote:OCC: Does Mr. Briggs come in and tell Tommy to stay on course or does Tommy hear the Captain tell Mr. Briggs that?
As soon as the Captain finished speaking, Lt. Briggs returned to the bridge. "You heard the Captain," he said. "Stay on course."

Just then, Simon Lars entered the bridge.
Rosisha wrote:Lars, who had come down to freshen up, hears the commotion and comes forward to the Bridge. "Excuse me, land?" He mutters. "Could we be near Ireland?" He stares out at the unfamiliar coast. "Or perhaps not." He ponders the situation. "Do we have a telescope aboard? Perhaps we can get a closer look at this coastline. Find a place to land, or at least someone to talk too."
"Do you wish to borrow mine?" asked Lt. Briggs, offering the instrument to Lars.
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

Solomoriah wrote:As soon as the Captain finished speaking, Lt. Briggs returned to the bridge. "You heard the Captain," he said. "Stay on course."

Just then, Simon Lars entered the bridge.
"Yes sir," and with that Tommy will stay on course until told otherwise.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Will, on the other hand, is blissfully asleep. No voices in his head, no duties, and not being used to swigging scotch, he'll be well rested to analyze the situation when Artie wakes Dr. Burton.
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Lars nods, and takes the scope and begins to scan the coastline. He will slowly pan back and forth doing his best to examine the coastline and see what is out there for him to see. Perhaps he can spot something that will allow them to plot a course.