Chapter 5: Alarums

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Chapter V

Post by Solomoriah »

crazycrypt wrote:"No problem sir, I will tell Lars as soon as I see him. Mr. Monday, it looks as though I am at your service."
"Very good!" replied Monday.
rredmond wrote:He'll ask Catherine, "should we all prepare on how to approach the natives? To ensure no one is unintentionally insulting?" He'll also ask, to clarify, and mostly to Catherine, "should we have a spokesman? Is is best to only have one of us do the talking? Whether it's you, or," and he'll smile, "if we think the natives will have issues dealing with 'just a woman' you can translate for Mr. Monday here. I want to be as prepared as possible, there's too many unknowns not to ensure everyone is on point with how, initially, we should act."
"It's hard to know what to expect," she replied. "Many tribal peoples are very patrician. Much as it pains me, I think we'll have to have someone else as our spokesman, with me translating. Or attempting to... there's no guarantee I'll be able to understand them right off."

"I'm sure you'll do fine," replied Reginald Monday. "I have a feeling things will work out in our favor."
rredmond wrote:After that discussion, if it hasn't been brought up, Will (now prepared) will ask, "okay, when do we go? The sooner the better so we can start figuring out what's going on."
"Patience, Mister Thornton," replied the Captain, smiling. "It will take Leftenant Briggs perhaps half an hour to bring the ship down enough for us to anchor, and then we'll have to tether to something. I see a few scattered trees on the plain below... one of them will surely serve."

Just then, Leftenant Chapman entered the lounge. A nasty bruise marred his otherwise-handsome face, centered around his right eye. "Captain," he said, "I'm sorry. I thought the blighter was asleep. I let my guard down, and he repaid me with a resounding kick to the head."

"Understood, Mister Chapman. I think you've been punished enough," said the Captain.

"You might have a concussion," said Dr. Burton. "Best not go to sleep for a while. Get yourself some coffee or tea and take a break. That is, if the Captain permits."

"Yes, do as the Doctor says," replied the Captain.

The search of the ship passed quickly. Lars found nothing dangerous in the envelope, but did dally a few minutes in the Crow's Nest to take in the view. In the cargo hold, Artie and Greaves went through the baggage methodically; the only weapons found were two hunting rifles owned by the Burtons. "Well, these are on the manifest, properly declared," said Greaves. "I'll need to tell the Captain, though."

Just then, the Captain stepped in. "Mister Evans, we are planning to send a party to parley with the natives, led by Mister Monday, and he has requested your attendance. Are you willing?"
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Since we have some time, Will makes his way over to Vance. "A colt 45? I'm guessing you're not a cipher decoder then," Will asks trying to keep it light. If he gets an evasive answer he'll ask "What do you do for Uncle Sam? Or can you say?"
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Mak

Post by Mak »

Solomoriah wrote:In the cargo hold, Artie and Greaves went through the baggage methodically; the only weapons found were two hunting rifles owned by the Burtons. "Well, these are on the manifest, properly declared," said Greaves. "I'll need to tell the Captain, though."
"Those could come in handy if we need to bag our supper down the road."
Solomoriah wrote:Just then, the Captain stepped in. "Mister Evans, we are planning to send a party to parley with the natives, led by Mister Monday, and he has requested your attendance. Are you willing?"
Artie raises his eyebrows. "Me? Well... sure. I'll go. After all, I've got to be one of the most expendable fellas on board. When do we go?"

I'd better say my goodbyes first, thinks Artie. To Lily, first and foremost. I wonder if she'll worry about me...

An image of their farewell springs unbidden to his mind...

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

rredmond wrote:Since we have some time, Will makes his way over to Vance. "A colt 45? I'm guessing you're not a cipher decoder then," Will asks trying to keep it light.
"No," Vance replied, chuckling. "I'm not a big enough brain for that."
rredmond wrote:If he gets an evasive answer he'll ask "What do you do for Uncle Sam? Or can you say?"
"I can't. Sorry."
Mak wrote:Artie raises his eyebrows. "Me? Well... sure. I'll go. After all, I've got to be one of the most expendable fellas on board. When do we go?"
"We'll be close enough to the ground to drop the anchor shortly. I'm not going to land the whole ship if I can avoid it. After we're tethered properly, we'll lower the emergency ladders from the aft overlook. An hour, perhaps, and we'll be ready. It looks as though you are done here, so go ahead and get ready."
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Lars will finish his search and report back to the Captain. After discovering he will be assigned to the mission, he will take the gun he "found" and ask for permission to go get changed. When he discovers that we have rifles available Simon will offer his services there as well. "I've used a rifle a few times, and am handy with one against a moving target if we need it."
Mak

Post by Mak »

Artie goes back to his stateroom. He dresses in comfortable, loose clothes and doesn't bother to put on a jacket -- it looks warm to him down there. In his pockets he puts a penknife, some matches, a pencil and a small pad of paper.

He then goes in search of Reginald Monday. "Thanks for inviting me along. Not sure how much use I'll be, but I sure am curious to find out where we are. Listen, I've had a thought: maybe we should bring a diplomatic gift of some kind to present to the high honcho. Might smooth things over a little bit. I have no idea what that might be; maybe some nice silverware from the dining room? What do you think?"
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

GM Note: New thread started...