Chapter 4: Storm

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
rredmond

Re: Chapter IV

Post by rredmond »

Mak wrote:"I know what's beyond that door," whispers Artie to Will, recalling his earlier encounter with Mansel on the aft overlook. "There's a kind of open-air balcony with a railing. It won't take but a moment to check it; if our man's not there, then we know he'll have either gone up or down the stairs."

"Unless of course he's in one of the water closets..." Artie jerks the door of the men's, then the women's, open in turn, standing back to let Will aim inside.
Will nods and points the gun as each door is opened without a word. Pausing only to mop the sweat from his brow on his shirt sleeve in between.
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Rosisha wrote:Simon, after ditching the bomb overboard is going to head back and look for Green and the Captain...
Will and Artie had just checked the women's water closet, and were about to proceed further back to check the showers, when suddenly the aft door opened and a crewman entered. Seeing Will's handgun at the ready, he froze. Will saw that it was that same crewman he had exchanged glances with on B deck earlier.

Will could see the crewman was wary (hardly surprising, facing the business end of a gun) but not as fearful as Will might have hoped. Most importantly, the crewman was empty handed... no sign of the bomb Miss Emily had warned of.

Simon Lars could see that Will, despite his inexperience, was fully ready to make use of the gun. He knew he'd have to play this one carefully.

GM Note: Will never got Simon Lars' name, so far as I can determine looking back at the end of Chapter I when they encountered each other on B deck.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

OOC: Nope never did get Lars' name...
"Okay there, no closer than that," Will says to Lars nervously. "I'm not keen on using this, nor am I going to have you disarm me by getting closer," he'll warn, "let's not have anything unfortunate happen here." Will knows he's outmatched up close and just wants to stall to figure out what's going on... and not accidentally shoot anyone. He's not happy that it's Lars, who so easily picked up on him earlier, and that Lars isn't more nervous about having a gun pointed at him.
Mak

Post by Mak »

"Okay, mac," says Artie to Lars, peering over Will's shoulder. "Just stay calm and everything'll be alright. The captain should be on his way down here but we don't have time to wait for him. Now, what were you doing on the aft overlook at this godawful hour? Just the facts. And quickly, if you please."
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Simon carefully assessed the situation, and decided on a course of action. Spreading his hands apart he calmly watched the two, and made sure to keep eye contact. In a deliberately slow, enunciated voice he spoke: "My name is Lars, Simon Lars. I'm the third shift engineer. I was fixing the engines, after they had been taken out by the mutineers." He paused watching to see how things were playing out. "The Chief sent me up to the crows nest after the Captain discovered that one of the mutineers had attempted to call their, before being disabled. Upon reaching the location, I discovered a bomb had been wired to the telephone system. Thankfully they had done a poor job. However, with the higher levels of electricity from this storm, and the mildly unstable nature of the TNT," He thinks to himself Much like the two of you, but doesn't say it out loud. "I threw the bomb overboard and am now on my way to report to the Chief." He pauses again, evaluating his audience.

"Now, just so we have things in perspective: You are pointing a loaded weapon at a lawful crew member attempting to fulfill his lawful duties. This is not a legal position you want to find yourself in. So I propose a deal, you put that gun away and we'll all go see the Captain together. He knows what I was up too, and can verify my good intentions. The two of you are more then proof enough against me should I try anything," he smiles, attempting his most disarming smile, "and none of you end up arrested when we arrive in the States. How does that sound?"

During this speech he doesn't move, and keeps his hands apart. He is also currently unarmed, so shooting him would probably be a bad idea. He makes sure to keep eye contact, and keeps his voice low and hypnotic. He pauses for any thunder that could cover his words.
Mak

Post by Mak »

"I'm the one who told the captain about the call to the crow's nest -- I saw Neville dial the number from the lounge. So that checks out. But how do we know you didn't just move the bomb down here? Will, let me check the overlook quickly to verify his story. You keep Mr... Lars, was it? -- under wraps for a minute while I do that."

If Will is agreeable, Artie slips by Lars -- keeping a wary eye on the engineer -- and out the door. He looks all about, then returns, coming up behind Lars.

"Okay, looks good. I sure as heck couldn't see any sign of a bomb. Sorry about the inconvenience, Lars. You'll appreciate that having been shot at by two of the ship's crew over the course of the evening hasn't exactly warmed us to the sight of a uniform..."
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Mak wrote:"I'm the one who told the captain about the call to the crow's nest -- I saw Neville dial the number from the lounge. So that checks out. But how do we know you didn't just move the bomb down here? Will, let me check the overlook quickly to verify his story. You keep Mr... Lars, was it? -- under wraps for a minute while I do that."
Will nods assent and ensures a steady aim on Mr. Lars.
Mak wrote:"Okay, looks good. I sure as heck couldn't see any sign of a bomb. Sorry about the inconvenience, Lars. You'll appreciate that having been shot at by two of the ship's crew over the course of the evening hasn't exactly warmed us to the sight of a uniform..."
Will checks again for anything unusual about Lars, ensuring there's no weapon and then lowers the gun. He doesn't put it away, or click on the safety. "I'll tell you Mr. Lars, I'm preferring the lawful crewmembers over the ones who threaten to kill me. I saw you before, by the baggage area when we were returning the Mondabe artifacts..." Will says leadingly. Not trusting Lars at this point, but the story checking out helps him relax... just a bit.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Here now," came a voice from behind Will, startling him. "What are you fellows doing, delaying Mister Lars here? I need him in the engine room. Mister Lars, I assume you, ah, completed your task? Excellent. Please go up to the engine room, when you are ready, and resume working; I'll go and tell the Captain, and then join you shortly."

The storm continued to increase in violence, and suddenly the wind Tommy Mansel had been wondering about appeared in force. Blowing at an angle from somewhere aft, the wind pushed the ship, causing it to turn to the left. Thankfully, thought Tommy, airships turn slowly even in a strong wind; likely the passengers would barely notice. But the helmsman knew, that was certain. Tommy spun the wheel, trying to correct Morgana's drift, wishing he had full power to the props.

"It's a fierce one," said Lt. Briggs, entering the bridge. "Seems I'm going to be on duty, Mister Mansel. It appears you have things well in hand." Tommy wasn't so sure, but he didn't interrupt his superior to dispute the point. "Good Heavens," said Briggs then, looking over Tommy's shoulder, "look at that compass. Surely we aren't spinning that fast!"

It was true, noted Tommy with what little part of his attention wasn't occupied by trying to control the ship. The compass was spinning, first one way, then the other, seemingly at random.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

"No sir, it appears the storm is messing with our compass," Tommy said to Briggs. "I've been trying to keep the ship steady, but this wind isn't making it easy," Tommy says with a very small chuckle.
Mak

Post by Mak »

Solomoriah wrote:"Here now," came a voice from behind Will, startling him. "What are you fellows doing, delaying Mister Lars here? I need him in the engine room. Mister Lars, I assume you, ah, completed your task? Excellent. Please go up to the engine room, when you are ready, and resume working; I'll go and tell the Captain, and then join you shortly."
"We know about the bomb, if that's what you're referring to," says Artie. "One of the lady passengers saw Lars on his way to dispose of it and told us about it. I sent her off to find the captain... and for a second we wondered if Lars here was another saboteur. Glad to know otherwise," he adds.

"Do you mind if we accompany you to report to the captain? I'd also like to find Miss Emily and reassure her. I wouldn't want her telling everyone on the ship about it: it'll just create a panic."

Artie will accompany the "voice" (the Chief?) to the captain, hoping to run into Miss Emily there or en route. He's feeling the need to sleep but just can't until he's tied up these loose ends.