Chapter 4: Storm

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Chapter IV

Post by Solomoriah »

crazycrypt wrote:"Oh trust me, torturing you will be fun for me and very painful for you, however, for your sake, you are safe till I talk to the captain." And with that Tommy will wait on the captain's return for orders as, even though torturing him sounds like fun, he knows his place and knows to wait.
"Mister Mansel," came a voice from behind the helmsman, "I don't think that will be necessary just now. I'd like you to take Chapman's place, and finish out your watch; he'll keep an eye on Brandon, here. If that's really your name, which I doubt," continued the Captain, turning to the mutineer.

Neither Brandon nor Mansel had a moment to reply, however, as Chief Engineer Green, notably out of breath, came rushing up. "Captain, I need to speak with you," he said. Seeing Brandon, Green said, "On the bridge, sir, if you don't mind."

"Of course," replied Captain Pelton, grasping Green's meaning instantly. "Mansel, you'll need to remain here a bit longer, but Chapman will be back to take over shortly." The two men moved off to the bridge, closing the door behind them.

Mansel heard voices, speaking in urgent tones, from the passageway, but he could not make out the words. Then finally Leftenant Chapman arrived. "The Captain is at the helm," he said, "so you'd best head over that way posthaste." Tommy noticed a Luger in Chapman's hand; Chapman caught the look, and said "It's Neville's, apparently; Captain Pelton said I might need it."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mak

Post by Mak »

Artie sits in silent amazement as Will rattles off his list of psychological observations. All Artie had noticed was that Cesar was a bit of a bon vivant who was making a transparent play for Lily and that there were some decent tippers among the passengers, though he wasn't sure exactly who they were as he hadn't been paying that much attention.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Rosisha wrote:Lars leans in and examines the bomb in detail. He wants to understand how the wires are connected from the actual sticks of TNT to the blasting caps. He figures that if someone calls the phone, then the bomb will detonate because of of the surge of power through the device to the blasting caps. So what he wants to look at is, what would happen if he cuts the connection between the blasting cap and the TNT itself.
It appeared to Lars that cutting the wires with his shears would work... there seemed to be no deception in the design of the bomb. Still, seeing no point in being too hasty, he carefully mapped out the wires in the phone.

That was when he found the saboteur's mistake. The saboteur (Lusk, he supposed) had attempted to connect the bomb in place of the ringer; but following the wires from the bell to the screw terminals, he saw that one of the bomb leads had been connected to the wrong screw! It appeared to Lars that the bomb was already entirely safe.

Then came another flash of lightning, and very close. The static made the hairs on Simon's arms stand on end. If the lightning struck the dynamite, it would be all over... and simply disconnecting it would not be enough, as Lars could see that he'd have to get rid of it entirely.
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

Solomoriah wrote:"Mister Mansel," came a voice from behind the helmsman, "I don't think that will be necessary just now. I'd like you to take Chapman's place, and finish out your watch; he'll keep an eye on Brandon, here. If that's really your name, which I doubt," continued the Captain, turning to the mutineer.

Neither Brandon nor Mansel had a moment to reply, however, as Chief Engineer Green, notably out of breath, came rushing up. "Captain, I need to speak with you," he said. Seeing Brandon, Green said, "On the bridge, sir, if you don't mind."

"Of course," replied Captain Pelton, grasping Green's meaning instantly. "Mansel, you'll need to remain here a bit longer, but Chapman will be back to take over shortly." The two men moved off to the bridge, closing the door behind them.
"Yes sir," Tommy said as Pelton was leaving. Tommy will then sit down on a bed awaiting the arrival of Chapman.
Solomoriah wrote:Mansel heard voices, speaking in urgent tones, from the passageway, but he could not make out the words. Then finally Leftenant Chapman arrived. "The Captain is at the helm," he said, "so you'd best head over that way posthaste." Tommy noticed a Luger in Chapman's hand; Chapman caught the look, and said "It's Neville's, apparently; Captain Pelton said I might need it."
"I would put it away if I were you, Brandon isn't going anywhere," and with that Tommy will leave the room and head for the helm to take over.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Mister Mansel, good. Here," said the Captain, turning over the helm to the third watch helmsman. "Try to keep us headed due east. The weather may make that difficult."

Frowning, the Captain said, "I suppose I should tell you, Mister Lars found a bomb in the crow's nest. I expect it must have been a dud, or we'd be falling. He's disarming it now. Not much you can do to help the situation, but I think the man at the helm should know. Don't speak of it to anyone! If an announcement is to be made, I'll tend to it."
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Lars takes a deep breath and then pulls the blasting caps from the TNT so that the TNT is by itself. He will then take off his outer shirt (1936 = he has an undershirt on :D ) and wrap the TNT up in it. Lifting the deadly bundle he will move slowly and carefully away from the crows nest and into the ship. He will then head to the little balcony in the back where he will throw the entire package overboard.

He will then report to Green adding that he was personally fond of that shirt!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Rosisha wrote:Lars takes a deep breath and then pulls the blasting caps from the TNT so that the TNT is by itself.
It was a minute, it seemed, before Simon Lars remembered to breathe... but he had done it, had pulled the caps from the dynamite, and with no loss of life (most especially his own).
Rosisha wrote:He will then take off his outer shirt (1936 = he has an undershirt on :D ) and wrap the TNT up in it.
GM Note: One word: Coverall. :D
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

OOC: D'OH!

IC: Lars grabs the TNT and runs back towards the engine room, holding it close to his body. He moves quickly, but cautiously down the passage and into the engine room. From there he goes to the Aft Overlook, not stopping for anyone. He will then lift the TNT over his head, and toss it to the sea below.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

GM Note: The aft overlook is on A deck; I'm going to assume that you meant that you would go to the tank room (where the staircase down to A deck is) and thence to the aft overlook.

Trying to hurry, while simultaneously being as cautious as he could, Simon Lars took the bundle of dynamite down to A deck, then turned down the aft passageway to the overlook. Just as he did so, the door to the ladies' water closet opened, and an old lady stepped out.

"Oh my!" she exclaimed, and just for a moment both the old lady and Simon froze.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The late hour, the long day, and the scotch all began to tell on Artie; and Will seemed somewhat affected also.

GM Note: Any final words, get 'em in now, because they have to sleep sometime.