Chapter 2: Diversions

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
rredmond

Re: Chapter II

Post by rredmond »

Solomoriah wrote:Will sat in the lounge, looking the room over, more than a bit restive. He hadn't advanced his position any, and in fact might have made at least one crewman suspicious. He was definitely off his game.
:(
Solo wrote:He watched the men playing cards; he wasn't sure what they were playing, but they seemed to be having a good time of it. Reginald Monday 25 had arranged the game, inviting Cesar de Falco, 26 Phillipe, 23 and the handsome fellow to whom Doriane had been speaking. 24

Even ignoring Monday, every man at that table had plenty of money, of that Will was sure. How to get some of it, that was the question.
Getting more than a little bit edgy, Will asks some questions about the cave walls, just enough to keep him as part of the group at this table, but not enough to miss any opportunities to slide over to the other table. He'll try to get info on the totem and any other 'artifacts of value' the good doctor may have. There may still be something to the totem he thinks, but I've got to insinuate myself into that group, at least before it's time to retire. At the first opportunity Will will excuse himself from this table and sidle on over to the card table. He'll look for a break in the action, or better yet if there are points in time when someone is 'out' of the game - whether until next game or next round. That person becomes Will's new best friend.

If his new best friend is someone he hasn't met he'll introduce himself and then: "This looks like an interesting game, I don't think I've seen it played before. What is it called?" And he'll launch into a discussion on game mechanics and rules and strategies. Once he's at the table, he'll try to talk to them all as they go 'out' or otherwise feigning interest in wanting to learn how to play the game. Otherwise he'll keep a close watch and ear on the game to try and pick up any useful information that he can use at later points. But he will take a chance, if needed, to try and talk to at least one of the folks in that group. If I'm more aggressive perhaps that'll get me into the game quicker... though I got to keep my eye out for that crewman. Damn, that kind are usually easy marks, I'll have to keep an eye out for him, for many reasons. He'll ramp down if he notices anyone else 'noticing' him.
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

rredmond wrote:Getting more than a little bit edgy, Will asks some questions about the cave walls, just enough to keep him as part of the group at this table, but not enough to miss any opportunities to slide over to the other table. He'll try to get info on the totem and any other 'artifacts of value' the good doctor may have.
"Oh, my boy, these things are of incalculable scientific value, make no mistake!" cried Dr. Burton. "Later I'll show you the sacrificial knife we discovered in the chamber with the Totem. It's quite interesting."

"Will you bring the Totem up for another look, then?" asked Michael Lloyd.

"Yes, I can do that," replied Dr. Burton.
rredmond wrote:There may still be something to the totem he thinks, but I've got to insinuate myself into that group, at least before it's time to retire. At the first opportunity Will will excuse himself from this table and sidle on over to the card table. He'll look for a break in the action, or better yet if there are points in time when someone is 'out' of the game - whether until next game or next round. That person becomes Will's new best friend.
Watching briefly, Will realized they were playing Bridge. "You know," said Mr. Monday, "there are many good things to say about Goren's book. It's helped me a great deal. Oh, yes, I'm sorry, it's my bid, isn't it? Two hearts."

"Three spades," replied Cesar, with confidence in his voice. "Do not look at me so, Jean-Paul," he said to the man sitting opposite him, "All will be revealed."

"Pass," announced Phillipe.

"Pass," said Jean-Paul. "I hope you know what you are doing, Cesar." Swiss, perhaps, thought Will, noting his accent.

"Don't take being the dummy personally," said Monday to Jean-Paul, as Phillipe played a ten of spades.

Play proceeded in proper style; glancing at the score-sheet, Will saw that Jean-Paul and Cesar were doing quite well. After watching a few rounds, Will could see that Cesar played a bit recklessly, but quite well, while Jean-Paul favored precision and caution. Monday had a casual manner of play, smiling but not saying much when he and Phillipe scored. The Frenchman did not seem to care for the game, Will thought; probably just playing to humor the American.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Solomoriah wrote:"Oh, my boy, these things are of incalculable scientific value, make no mistake!" cried Dr. Burton. "Later I'll show you the sacrificial knife we discovered in the chamber with the Totem. It's quite interesting."

"Will you bring the Totem up for another look, then?" asked Michael Lloyd.

"Yes, I can do that," replied Dr. Burton.
"I am as anxious as Mr. Lloyd for another look," Will agrees, surprising himself that he is anxious to see it again, why was it so compelling, and not just for me... "when shall we get another look?" If the opportunity arises Will will also ask after Fern, and how she was doing. Especially considering Michael's reaction from before.
Solo wrote:Watching briefly, Will realized they were playing Bridge. "You know," said Mr. Monday, "there are many good things to say about Goren's book. It's helped me a great deal. Oh, yes, I'm sorry, it's my bid, isn't it? Two hearts."
Will knew a little about Bridge, a very little. But he did know that Charles Goren was an American, like him. This could play to some advantage.
Solo wrote:Play proceeded in proper style; glancing at the score-sheet, Will saw that Jean-Paul and Cesar were doing quite well. After watching a few rounds, Will could see that Cesar played a bit recklessly, but quite well, while Jean-Paul favored precision and caution. Monday had a casual manner of play, smiling but not saying much when he and Phillipe scored. The Frenchman did not seem to care for the game, Will thought; probably just playing to humor the American.
What's Phillipe's angle he wonders about the frenchman and his interaction with David Graham "Associate Director" earlier. Will smiled to himself, everyone's got an angle. While getting an answer to his query about the totem, he will further assess the bridge players, and at an appropriate opportunity (a good trick, overtrick, or trick no-trump by Monday (whatever they are, Will knows better than his player :D)) will excuse himself to the bathroom and say "good trick/play/insert pithy bridge comment here" turning on the charm, as he walks by. Thus also giving himself a stretch of the legs, and a check on the going's on out side the lounge, as well as a quick opening to intro himself to Monday, whether now or at another more appropriate time.
Mak

Post by Mak »

Artie keeps playin' away...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

rredmond wrote:"I am as anxious as Mr. Lloyd for another look," Will agrees, surprising himself that he is anxious to see it again, why was it so compelling, and not just for me... "when shall we get another look?"
"After supper should be soon enough, son. It's been a busy day, and I must admit I'm getting rather tired. I expect I'll go shortly and take a nap, or perhaps do some reading. Rest up a bit." Shortly, Dr. Burton did just that, gathering up his pictures into an accordion folder and excusing himself. Catherine remained, conversing with Lloyd and Vance; it was obvious to Will, if to no one else, that she fancied the American.
rredmond wrote:If the opportunity arises Will will also ask after Fern, and how she was doing. Especially considering Michael's reaction from before.
"Oh, she's in our room resting. Says she's airsick. If you want the truth of it, she ate quite a lot at brunch and she's a bit ashamed of herself. I expect she'll be out in time for supper though. Now me, on the other hand, I've never been afraid to tuck in." Truthfully, thought Will, neither of the Lloyds appeared to have missed many meals.
rredmond wrote:Will knew a little about Bridge, a very little. But he did know that Charles Goren was an American, like him. This could play to some advantage.

What's Phillipe's angle he wonders about the frenchman and his interaction with David Graham "Associate Director" earlier. Will smiled to himself, everyone's got an angle. While getting an answer to his query about the totem, he will further assess the bridge players, and at an appropriate opportunity (a good trick, overtrick, or trick no-trump by Monday (whatever they are, Will knows better than his player :D)) will excuse himself to the bathroom and say "good trick/play/insert pithy bridge comment here" turning on the charm, as he walks by. Thus also giving himself a stretch of the legs, and a check on the going's on out side the lounge, as well as a quick opening to intro himself to Monday, whether now or at another more appropriate time.
The game seemed to be favoring Cesar and Jean-Paul at the moment, thought Will. Phillipe was trying to keep up appearances but his heart obviously wasn't in it. Just as Jean-Paul took another trick, Will saw a steward enter the lounge and proceed straight to Mr. Monday. "I'm sorry to interrupt, sir, but a telegram just came for you."

Monday took the slip of paper and read it, then turned to the other card players. "I'm sorry, fellows, I'll have to deal with this. News from the office, you know. Cesar, Jean-Paul, you've already almost made your contract... what do you say, Phillipe, should we just concede?"

"As you say," replied the Frenchman, trying to hide his relief. "Hmm," he said, looking around, "I should see what my wife is about."

Phillipe and Reginald Monday both walked out, with the Frenchman giving way to his former partner. Will took this as his opportunity to leave also; as he arose, Cesar called to him. "Signore, a moment. Do you know Bridge? Perhaps you and one of your friends would like to join us."
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Solomoriah wrote:"After supper should be soon enough, son. It's been a busy day, and I must admit I'm getting rather tired. I expect I'll go shortly and take a nap, or perhaps do some reading. Rest up a bit." Shortly, Dr. Burton did just that, gathering up his pictures into an accordion folder and excusing himself. Catherine remained, conversing with Lloyd and Vance; it was obvious to Will, if to no one else, that she fancied the American.
meh, can't always be right :D
Solo wrote:"Oh, she's in our room resting. Says she's airsick. If you want the truth of it, she ate quite a lot at brunch and she's a bit ashamed of herself. I expect she'll be out in time for supper though. Now me, on the other hand, I've never been afraid to tuck in." Truthfully, thought Will, neither of the Lloyds appeared to have missed many meals.
"Sorry to hear that Michael," Will will offer, trying to sound caring and consoling, "she'll get her 'sea legs' soon enough I'll warrant."
Solo wrote:Phillipe and Reginald Monday both walked out, with the Frenchman giving way to his former partner. Will took this as his opportunity to leave also; as he arose, Cesar called to him. "Signore, a moment. Do you know Bridge? Perhaps you and one of your friends would like to join us."
Will will quickly discount attempting to follow Monday, he'll be heading up top, don't want to chance being noticed again; perhaps this is the slower way in though... "If you don't mind teaching as we go, I've only a very little experience with the game," I'm guessing Will has some, b/c he recognized the game, but he'll play that down, better to appear the duffer, "Mr. Lloyd, care to get a trouncing by this lot at bridge," he smile gesturing at Michael.

OOC: Sorry Solo, I've always been a poker player, have no clue about Bridge! :D It'll be fun to role play this one out...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Why, yes, I believe a game might be just the thing to while away the afternoon," replied Michael Lloyd. He took the chair vacated by the Frenchman, leaving Monday's seat to Will Thornton. "Don't worry, old chap," he continued, smiling at Will, "I have a bit of experience at this game. Rather a favorite of mine, actually."

"By the way, I don't think we've been properly introduced," he said to Cesar. "I'm Michael Lloyd, late of London."

"Cesar de Falco," replied the Italian, extending his hand to shake. "A pleasure. Have you met Jean-Paul Stauffacher yet?"

"Yes, we met at brunch," replied Lloyd, shaking his hand briefly. Jean-Paul nodded curtly, obviously anxious to get on with the game. "Oh, and my partner is Mister Will Thornton, of New York if I remember correctly."

"A pleasure, signore," replied Cesar, extending a hand to Will.

"Shall I deal, then?" asked Jean-Paul.
rredmond

Re: Chapter II: Diversions

Post by rredmond »

Easy enough, thinks Will. "Please do start the deal, I'm looking forward to the game." He'll keep all *senses* focused on the players to pick up anything out of the ordinary while they play, an eye out for Monday's return as well as for that crewmember who gave him the evil eye earlier.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Will and Michael made a good start, but very shortly it became obvious that Cesar and Jean-Paul were the better Bridge players. But both Will and Michael played with good humor; it wasn't hard for Will to be a good sport, as he really cared far less about the game than about the characters of the men playing it.

Jean-Paul Stauffacher, it turned out, was a sales representative for a Swiss clock-making company, on his way to the United States to negotiate a contract. Cesar de Falco was brash and cocky, but Will did note that he turned down a glass of wine when the steward offered it, choosing tea instead, and that he barely sipped at it after it arrived. But Michael Lloyd was the real puzzle... several times, Will saw him make obvious mistakes, and it seemed he was the reason they were falling behind in the scoring. It's just a game, thought Will, why does he want to lose? Ever cautious, Will didn't bring attention to his partner's strange behavior.

Artie and Lily practiced for a while together. Her voice is every bit as beautiful as she is, Artie thought. After an hour or so, as he was looking through his sheet music for another song, Lily said "I think we'll do just fine tonight, don't you? You can keep practicing if you like, but I need a break, you know, take a nap, then get cleaned up for supper." Not waiting to see if he agreed, she gave Artie a quick peck on the cheek and then flew out of the lounge almost before he could speak.

Supper was well-attended; as far as Will and Artie could see, all the passengers were once again present. This time, though, Will received the honor of being invited to sit at the Captain's table. He arrived a bit early, as was his usual preference, and so far as he could see, the only people who would be sitting at the Captain's table who had sat there at brunch were Monday and Dr. Ringstrom. Seeing his name on a placecard, Will decided that the wild-haired academic must in fact be the principal designer of Morgana. But while Monday continued to occupy the seat at the Captain's left, Ringstrom evidently would be sitting at the foot of the table instead of at the Captain's right hand.

Best of all, Will discovered his placecard at the left hand of Reginald Monday. He tried not to smile too obviously as he took his seat.

To his left, according to the placecards, would be Violet Perry, with David Graham across from her. Cesar de Falco would be occupying the seat across from Will, while the seat at the Captain's right was already occupied by Steve Vance.

As Will took his seat, Vance spoke. "You're American, aren't you? New York City if I don't miss my guess."

Artie just couldn't get his best tie to behave, and he was running late as he arrived at the lounge. He was pleased to note that Cesar de Falco was at the Captain's table... and Lily wasn't. She was seated at the table nearest the piano, in conversation with Miss Emily. Two seats were still available at that table, and Artie was pleased when Lily waved him over. Shortly, Baron von Malum arrived, and took the remaining seat beside Miss Emily.

GM Note: Mak, rredmond, feel free to interject wherever you like in the narrative above, or let it stand as is if you wish. Obviously the second watch won't be taken care of by Monday last :D but perhaps we can wrap it up before Friday so the crewmen can see some action.
Mak

Post by Mak »

Solomoriah wrote:After an hour or so, as he was looking through his sheet music for another song, Lily said "I think we'll do just fine tonight, don't you? You can keep practicing if you like, but I need a break, you know, take a nap, then get cleaned up for supper." Not waiting to see if he agreed, she gave Artie a quick peck on the cheek and then flew out of the lounge almost before he could speak.
OOC: Sheet music?!? Jazz musicians don't need sheet music! Sure, Artie has some fakebook-type stuff, chord progressions and lyrics and the like... but most of it's in his head. He hears a melody, he figures out an accompaniment, and away he goes! 8-)

IC: Artie's too stunned by the kiss to think of objecting to Lily's abrupt departure. He sits expressionless for a couple of seconds, then breaks into a wide grin and begins playing Irving Berlin's "Cheek to Cheek",* the opening lyrics of which go:

Heaven, I'm in heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together dancing Cheek to Cheek.
Solomoriah wrote:Artie just couldn't get his best tie to behave, and he was running late as he arrived at the lounge. He was pleased to note that Cesar de Falco was at the Captain's table... and Lily wasn't. She was seated at the table nearest the piano, in conversation with Miss Emily. Two seats were still available at that table, and Artie was pleased when Lily waved him over. Shortly, Baron von Malum arrived, and took the remaining seat beside Miss Emily.
Artie goes over to the table and politely introduces himself to Miss Emily before sitting. When Baron von Malum arrives, he greets the German cordially.

"Miss Emily, Baron, have either of you flown in a dirigible before?" asks Artie. "I sure haven't, and it's slowly beginning to sink in. I was out on the aft deck lookout before, and I tell you, it's a strange thing to be looking down at the ocean. I felt like a seabird!"

Artie wants to ask what the others thought of the Burtons' stone idol, but he doesn't want to further upset Lily, so he keeps quiet about it.