Chapter 2: Diversions

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Chapter II: Diversions

Post by Solomoriah »

Mak wrote:OOC: Sheet music?!? Jazz musicians don't need sheet music! Sure, Artie has some fakebook-type stuff, chord progressions and lyrics and the like... but most of it's in his head. He hears a melody, he figures out an accompaniment, and away he goes! 8-)
OOC: You should have mentioned that when Lily asked about Porgy and Bess earlier...
Mak wrote:Artie's too stunned by the kiss to think of objecting to Lily's abrupt departure. He sits expressionless for a couple of seconds, then breaks into a wide grin and begins playing Irving Berlin's "Cheek to Cheek",* the opening lyrics of which go:

Heaven, I'm in heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together dancing Cheek to Cheek.
The Bridge players paid Artie no attention, but he did notice Miss Emily smiling knowingly at him from across the room.
Mak wrote:Artie goes over to the table and politely introduces himself to Miss Emily before sitting. When Baron von Malum arrives, he greets the German cordially.

"Miss Emily, Baron, have either of you flown in a dirigible before?" asks Artie. "I sure haven't, and it's slowly beginning to sink in. I was out on the aft deck lookout before, and I tell you, it's a strange thing to be looking down at the ocean. I felt like a seabird!"
"Why, no," replied Emily. "It's quite an experience at first, but I must say after a while one gets used to the endless ocean below."

"Indeed," said Klaust, "it is monotonous, isn't it? But with such pleasant company, one may bear it." He smiled, perhaps a bit too eagerly, at Emily, who smiled shyly back.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Solomoriah wrote:... Ever cautious, Will didn't bring attention to his partner's strange behavior.
Will compliments Cesar's play, and Jean-Paul as well, though he'll also talk negotiation-strategy with JP, talking about the recent negotiations he took part in. Will definitely does not bring attention to Michael's play, but inwardly rolls his eyes, everyone's got hidden agendas, but how many folks on this flight are working cons, or have experience preventing them?? Will resolves to add Michael to the ever-growing "keep track of" list.
OOC: my head is spinning! :D
Solo wrote:... Cesar de Falco would be occupying the seat across from Will, while the seat at the Captain's right was already occupied by Steve Vance.
Will talks big about the Bridge game, complimenting Cesar's play and over-stating the fun they had. I'm thinking Cesar is the type to fall into this verbal trap and thus use that to draw in Monday. He continues, really hard, not to smile at his good fortune. His goal is to have everyone at this end of the table wishing they were playing that game, and then to really focus on getting into Monday's confidences.
Solomoriah wrote:As Will took his seat, Vance spoke. "You're American, aren't you? New York City if I don't miss my guess."...
"Why yes I am from New York City, haven't been back in a while," thank you Mr. Vance for allowing me to start and control the conversation! "Are you heading back home as well?"
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

GM Note: I reordered your post, since your response to Vance would have happened before anyone else arrived at the table.
rredmond wrote:"Why yes I am from New York City, haven't been back in a while," thank you Mr. Vance for allowing me to start and control the conversation! "Are you heading back home as well?"/quote]
"Well, no, actually," he replied. "I'm a native of Indianapolis, but I've been living and working mostly in Washington D.C. lately. I'm blessed with a job that permits me to travel quite a bit, though. What about you? Returning from vacation, or have you been abroad for longer? If you don't mind me asking."
rredmond wrote:Will talks big about the Bridge game, complimenting Cesar's play and over-stating the fun they had. I'm thinking Cesar is the type to fall into this verbal trap and thus use that to draw in Monday. He continues, really hard, not to smile at his good fortune. His goal is to have everyone at this end of the table wishing they were playing that game, and then to really focus on getting into Monday's confidences.
As expected, Cesar was taken in by Will's enthusiasm. "Thank you for the kind words, Signore," he said. "Perhaps we can play again tomorrow?"

Just then, a steward arrived at the table bearing a bottle of wine. "Ah, yes," said Captain Pelton. "Anyone care for some wine?" Will noticed that Cesar began to shake his head, but the Captain continued, "My treat," and Cesar smiled broadly and gestured towards his glass. Will recalled plainly that Cesar ordered an expensive bottle of champagne that very morning, and wondered what had changed.

As the conversation progressed, Will noted Dr. Ringstrom looking at him intently several times. Finally, the old scientist spoke up. "Will Thornton, now I remember! You're the fellow whose name was on all those requisition forms. Herr Pennington mentioned several times that you were instrumental in arranging prompt delivery of materials. He was especially impressed with how you negotiated the helium contract with the Americans. It seems I owe you a debt of gratitude, young man, and I didn't even recognize you."

"Well, well," said Reginald Monday, appraising Will anew. "And Robert isn't here... perhaps in his absence I can convince you to work for me, eh?"
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Emily turned her attention to Artie and Lily. "I very much enjoyed listening to you young people this afternoon," she said. "Will you be performing after supper?"
Mak

Post by Mak »

Artie lets Lily answer Miss Emily's query, if Lily's so inclined; it's really her spotlight, after all. When the chance arises, he adds, "... and I imagine I'll be in here playing off and on throughout the days as well. There doesn't seem to be much else to do -- no shuffleboard on this ship, as far as I can tell! But I also think it would be great if other singers or pianists came forward. No reason others shouldn't have a chance to strut their stuff too. Do you sing or play, Miss Emily?"

Artie'll also include the baron in the conversation. He's feeling congenial and expansive and pretty pleased with himself at the moment. "What about you, baron? Are you musically inclined?"
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Solomoriah wrote:As expected, Cesar was taken in by Will's enthusiasm. "Thank you for the kind words, Signore," he said. "Perhaps we can play again tomorrow?"
With a nod of his head Will answers, "Yes, I would love to better my game even more and appreciate the invitation. Thank you."
Solo wrote:...As the conversation progressed, Will noted Dr. Ringstrom looking at him intently several times. Finally, the old scientist spoke up. "Will Thornton, now I remember! You're the fellow whose name was on all those requisition forms. Herr Pennington mentioned several times that you were instrumental in arranging prompt delivery of materials. He was especially impressed with how you negotiated the helium contract with the Americans. It seems I owe you a debt of gratitude, young man, and I didn't even recognize you."
"Thank you sir, numbers, organization and scheduling are something I enjoy. Little details are everything." Will acknowledges the compliment.
Solo wrote:"Well, well," said Reginald Monday, appraising Will anew. "And Robert isn't here... perhaps in his absence I can convince you to work for me, eh?"
Will smiles broadly, "I do find myself without employment at the present time. I look forward to talking to you about any opportunity you might have." Will is hoping that his smile is conveying warmth and sincerity, not the cartwheels he is presently turning over and over in his mind!
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Mak wrote:Artie lets Lily answer Miss Emily's query, if Lily's so inclined; it's really her spotlight, after all. When the chance arises, he adds, "... and I imagine I'll be in here playing off and on throughout the days as well. There doesn't seem to be much else to do -- no shuffleboard on this ship, as far as I can tell! But I also think it would be great if other singers or pianists came forward. No reason others shouldn't have a chance to strut their stuff too. Do you sing or play, Miss Emily?"
"Why, no, Arthur, I don't... not since I was quite young, I'm afraid, except for hymns of course. What about you, Klaust?"

"Well, erm," he said, evidently unprepared for the question, "I used to play the French horn, back in my school days. Otherwise, no, I'm no musician, nor any kind of singer." Looking at Lily, he added, "But you, my dear Fraulein, are wundervoll."

Lily blushed almost as red as her lipstick. "Why, thank you, sir."

"My dear," said Emily, "you're American, aren't you? You have an accent, from the Southern states I think. You hide it quite well, but I don't see why... it's quite charming."

"Oh, no," said Lily, "I don't think it's charming at all. I think my accent is much too backwoods. Folksy, you know? I want very much to sound sophisticated."

"Dear girl, you have it all wrong," replied Emily. "No American accent sounds more genteel than a Southern one. Certainly far better than an New York accent. Of course, I find a Continental accent more charming yet," she said, casting a sidelong glance at Klaust, who looked appropriately gratified.

"But what about you, Arthur?" she said, turning toward him. "I believe I note a certain Southern United States accent from you also. Surely you don't agree with this poor girl?"
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

rredmond wrote:Will smiles broadly, "I do find myself without employment at the present time. I look forward to talking to you about any opportunity you might have." Will is hoping that his smile is conveying warmth and sincerity, not the cartwheels he is presently turning over and over in his mind!
The conversation at the Captain's table turned to matters of world politics. "I tell you," said Dr. Ringstrom, "nothing good will come from this so-called Third Reich. I hated to have to leave my homeland, you know, but I don't doubt that if I had not, I'd be dead by now. Dead, or worse than dead."

"Do you think there will be a war?" asked Violet.

"I'm sure of it," replied Vance. "Hitler said as much. Have you read Mein Kampf?"

"She doesn't have time for that sort of thing," replied David Graham gruffly. "She's got a great future ahead of her in the movies. I'm telling you, she's great, you'll see that soon enough."

"I'm concerned about the whole matter myself, of course," replied Captain Pelton. "I was in the Royal Navy, you know, retired with honors and all that. I fought in the Great War, and we thought then that it would be the end of all wars. I'm afraid we might have been wrong."

"Oh, they're already warring in Asia," said Vance. "Terrible thing, war."

"What do you think, Will?" asked Reginald Monday. "You've been on both sides of the pond."
Mak

Post by Mak »

Solomoriah wrote:"But what about you, Arthur?" she said, turning toward him. "I believe I note a certain Southern United States accent from you also. Surely you don't agree with this poor girl?"
"I'm from the South, alright," says Artie. "But I got no claim on gentility. I've moved around a lot -- Chicago, Cleveland, New York, then London -- and a lot of my southern manners kind of got lost along the way. I know what Lily means, though. A musician's got to be whatever the gig requires of him -- or her -- and sometimes folksy just doesn't cut it. I'm not paid to talk," he adds, grinning, "so I've got more leeway with my mouth than a singer."

"Speaking of hymns," he says to Miss Emily, "maybe we can arrange something for you. I don't know if there's a hymnal on board anywhere, but there's a few I can play off the top of my head. Plus I know a lot of spirituals. Have you heard any of those before?"
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Mak wrote:"Speaking of hymns," he says to Miss Emily, "maybe we can arrange something for you. I don't know if there's a hymnal on board anywhere, but there's a few I can play off the top of my head. Plus I know a lot of spirituals. Have you heard any of those before?"
"Oh, my, no, I don't know any of those songs," she replied, a bit surprised. "I don't know much about Negro music. We don't hear it often in London, you know."

"They are quite lively," stated the Baron. "I've had the pleasure of hearing travelling singers, in London actually, performing such songs. Sets the blood to racing, they do."

GM Note: Don't expect any "politically correct" business in this game. Emily is based rather strongly on a couple of older ladies I once knew, and they were anything but PC. Watering down the character's word choices for modern sensibilities would remove the sense of immersion I'm trying for here.