Chapter 9: Darkest Before The Dawn

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
Hywaywolf

Re: Chapter 9: Darkest Before The Dawn

Post by Hywaywolf »

After dropping his nearest adversary and being missed by the next nearest, Simon takes an instant to assess his situation. hearing the noises come up the ladder and the hatch on the deck opening and not hearing an attack from friendly villagers Simon decides he was in very hot water. Unlike the frog that refuses to jump out of the pot of slowly heating water, Simon slings the rifle over his shoulder and makes a flying leap up onto the railing of the conning tower then dives into the river. he swims under water as far as his lungs will allow then surfaces for a breath then dives under again. he repeats this action until he either is killed or reaches the other side of the river
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Tommy saw the silhouette of Simon climb up onto the railing of the conning tower, and he heard the splash as he hit the water. Then, he heard gunshots, two of them, and the zing of bullets flying past him; he ducked instinctively.

All was silent for a moment, and then he heard voices calling out in German. Someone aboard the sub turned on a powerful searchlight, and after a few moments got it directed toward the fleeing airman. Tommy, still hidden in the reeds, saw Simon already more than halfway across, swimming strongly. He also saw several figures, half-visible in the backwash from the searchlight, and they seemed to be aiming rifles at Simon.

GM Note: Simon was not hit.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I keep swimming toward the bank, underwater as much as possible, slightly changing my angle of swim each time I go under to keep from swimming in a predictable straight line.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Simon felt like his lungs were about to burst, and he knew he had to surface. He came up into the glare of a searchlight, and heard shouts in German and gunshots. Searing pain tore through Simon's right shoulder and left ribs, and he forced himself to suck in another breath and dive again.

The pain of the two wounds made the going tough, but Simon swam beneath the river until he was about to pass out from lack of air. At last he surfaced again, and found himself very near the riverbank. The Germans were sweeping the searchlight left and right, and just then the light was upriver of Simon's position.

He thought he saw a figure hunched down in the rushes. Could it be Mansel?

Then he heard splashes from across the river... the sound of bodies hitting the water.
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

While Simon is swimming to shore, Tommy is going to look around at his surroundings and try to come up with an escape route. When he notices Simon getting close to the bank he will wait until he is getting out of the water and then call to him, "Simon over here, are you alright?"
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Hearing Tommy's call, Simon swims the rest of the way to shore and in great pain moves toward Tommy and gets into the shelter of the brush as quick as possible.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

As Simon joined Tommy near the riverbank, they could both hear the sounds of several men swimming across the river. They knew that, if they didn't move quickly, they'd have to fight the natives.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Simon clutches his injured ribs and indicates to Tommy we should be moving out. Simon will let Tommy lead as he is in no shape to make rational decisions.
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

OCC: What is the surrounding area like. Is it a forested area or wide open? What looks to be up and down river, mountains, trees, etc?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Both characters are crouching in the rushes beside the riverbank (i.e. still in the water). On the bank are trees, but sparsely distributed; you know that further upriver the trees are more closely spaces, but you don't know how far exactly. The dirigible is about a mile away, upriver and on the other side.