Chapter 9: Darkest Before The Dawn

This forum is for play and discussion of The Simple Game System rules, and the Dirigible of Doom adventure.
crazycrypt

Chapter 9: Darkest Before The Dawn

Post by crazycrypt »

Noticing Simon walking up beside him, Tommy will calmly say while still looking around "It appears as though we have two options. The shorter option is through the pitch-dark forest, and the longer, however, perhaps faster option is moving through the shadows of the trees and chancing someone noticing movement in the moonlight." Tommy will then look at Simon and say "Ideas?"
Hywaywolf

Chapter 9

Post by Hywaywolf »

crazycrypt wrote:Noticing Simon walking up beside him, Tommy will calmly say while still looking around "It appears as though we have two options. The shorter option is through the pitch-dark forest, and the longer, however, perhaps faster option is moving through the shadows of the trees and chancing someone noticing movement in the moonlight." Tommy will then look at Simon and say "Ideas?"
"Well, looks its just the two of us. I think its a risk either way we go about this. The village seemed much to quiet from what I could see from the crows nest. I suspect we will have something nasty waiting for us which ever way we go. And if the villagers plan to attack at dawn, they might get there before we have time to secure the piano man."

Simon considers a moment.

"I think if we want to rescue Artie, we will need to be closer to the sub before the attack comes. I think there is an ambush waiting for us on that dark trail and getting through it will take time if we even see it. So I think we should take the longer route so we can see what is is in front of us and actually make it to teh village alive." Simon pause, "but you outrank me, Sir. I will follow whichever way you choose."
crazycrypt

Re: Chapter 9

Post by crazycrypt »

"I think you are right. We should try and work our way around to the ship and by going through the shadows of the trees we are less likely to be surprised by an ambush. Just in case though, I believe we should not move exactly together just in case they laid out a trap."

Tommy will pause for a response and if Simon doesn't say anything Tommy will say, "Keep your gun ready at all times and lets get going," and will then head off on his way.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"Sounds like a plan. We should leap frog each other. I'll keep watch while you move forward. Then I'll move past you while you watch for trouble."

Simon looks to his rifle, making sure a round is in the chamber and the magazine is full. Then sets himself in the ready position, watching the clearing and tree line ahead, as Tommy moves along the tree line.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I think I need to see Tommy's response to Simon's plan before I post.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

"That should work. Just remember to stay light footed, we need to move as quickly and as quietly as possible." And with that said, Tommy takes off for the first tree.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The trip around the forest and over the swampy ground was slow. Several times, Simon wondered if his suggested method of advancing was too slow, but each time he thought that, he heard movement nearby, and both of the crewmen from Morgana were obliged to freeze for a few minutes. But they saw only shadows, and were able to pass undetected to the edge of the village.

Here, they found warriors walking the perimeter, visible only as silhouettes against the glowing, moonlit sky. The village was hidden in its own shadows, impossible to see into at a distance.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Simon peers intently into and around the village trying to make out any pattern in the patrols, locate the sub, watch for German submariners, spot any decent cover that would allow them to move through/around the village to get to the sub, spot any activity around any huts, if there is an sort of totem in the village, etc. He probably won't be able to tell much, but he is specifically looking for a way to get around the village to the river/sub.

(OOC)Do we have any idea how long it is before dawn?
Last edited by Hywaywolf on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Though your progress was very slow, your characters are fairly certain it's not past four AM.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Will takes a deep breath and moves into the room. He'll walk nervously behind the offered chair for a second before settling into it, as he looks around. Trying to maintain the air of stressed-out nervousness he takes in as much as he can. What have you gotten yourself into this time, he thinks to himself.
Solomoriah wrote:... Will noticed that the upper bunk was folded up, and looking around, he was surprised at how little in the way of personal effects Monday had in his room; a medium-sized suitcase and a valise sat together near the window, and on the small fold-out desk, Will saw a fountain pen, some paper, and an old book.
"My apologies," he'll say rubbing his head and then trying to keep a good eye on Monday, "I thought I interrupted your sleep but perhaps it was some more intellectual persuits. Seems to be the order of the day on this trip. As if the trip itself wasn't exciting enough..." he'll try to act as if he's calming down a bit and see if Monday starts talking. He'll keep his spidey-sense tuned to hyper-aware as much as he can. Not going to get a sacrificial knife in my back if I can help it.
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.