BRANDON of ARKANEA

Gladiator combat PbP action

Moderator: Longman

User avatar
Longman
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:12 am

Re: BRANDON of ARKANEA

Post Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Your next fight is a few days later, in the Pond Arena, where Barguk just fought.

You can now spend your reputation point, if you desire. You can:

Get better food from the jailers (+1-2 hp for next fight).
Get a hint from the jailers about the next fight
Have someone cheat in your favor during the fight

Or you can save it and use it to help your chances when an arena judge is deciding whether or not to let you live.
User avatar
SerGavin
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:51 pm
Location: England.

Re: BRANDON of ARKANEA

Post Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:48 am

I shall save the point.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
User avatar
Longman
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:12 am

Re: BRANDON of ARKANEA

Post Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:47 pm

Map file: http://basicfantasy.org/forums/download ... hp?id=2033

You begin at the southern of the 2 entrances - C01. You have a spear (1d6) and a shortsword.

This arena is also underground with a 40' ceiling and also has 15' high walls protecting the galleries to all sides. It is magically lit. There are only 2 entrances. You are at C01.

There are about 150 people in here and its pretty loud.

To the north of you is a huge troll. It looks angry. You see people in the galleries pelting it with small stones. The sandy floor of the arena is littered with thrown food, stones and bits of ballast.

In the middle of the arena is a large artificial pond. Islands of rubble have been made, and rickety rope and wooden bridges strung between them. On some of the islands there seems to be platforms with items upon them. You can't make out what they are at this stage.

Your apparent opponent emerges at S20, about 90 feet from you. He is human and has chain mail and a sword. There seem to be some people barracking for him and shouting Smuggy! Smuggy!

He rolls a 6 for initiative, so he wins. He moves forward to M14. Your go, then roll init.

(Behind you is a human guard in chain mail and with a mace, so you can't exactly turn around).
User avatar
SerGavin
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:51 pm
Location: England.

Re: BRANDON of ARKANEA

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:27 am

I sprint to G09.

rolled initiative, 5
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
User avatar
Longman
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:12 am

Re: BRANDON of ARKANEA

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:07 pm

Fine. I'll let you know once again that sprinting is actually a double move so you could in fact have gone further, but you didn't. G09 it is.

The troll, whose legs have been tied with weights, moves only 6 squares in a full round, and gets to E12.

Your opponent moves slightly ahead of you and gets to K12 where he collects the ingot that is there. There is also a knife on that platform, which he hardly needs as he has a shortsword.

It's your go. Act, then roll for init.
User avatar
SerGavin
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:51 pm
Location: England.

Re: BRANDON of ARKANEA

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:03 pm

I throw my spear at my opponent rolling a 19 and if it hits doing 6 points of damage.
I then roll a 3 for initiative.

Sorry about the movement, I mostly play characters that tend to stay in metal armour so having 40' base is a bit unusual for me.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
User avatar
Longman
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:12 am

Re: BRANDON of ARKANEA

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:17 pm

You seem to have given yourself a +4 to hit. I calculate +3 - 1 for your BAB and 2 for your high Dex? There was no range penalty, so you do hit anyway.

You hit your opponent in the shoulder join of his chain armor and the spear penetrates well. Your high damage takes part of his shoulder clear off, and blood spurts everywhere. He falls on the rocky island.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here. You really should have moved from G09 (move action) and then thrown the spear (attack action) - because the troll could have moved 3 squares from S12 to F09 and would have ripped you to bits at the end of its turn.

But, I am saying you moved over the wooden bridge onto I09 and then threw the spear. So you are OK. But please study the combat rules carefully, otherwise you will get killed.

As it is, the troll moves into the water at G12, which is its turn. No whistle has blown and the fight does not seem to be over yet.

Roll for initiative and then state your action. You are in I09.
User avatar
SerGavin
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:51 pm
Location: England.

Re: BRANDON of ARKANEA

Post Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:56 pm

Sorry, I'm on bad internet at the moment and don't have access to the book so I was guessing from memory what the short range for javelin was. (Though it was 30'?) and thanks for the move, it's a bit hard to look at the map on my phone, I keep forgetting about the troll.

Anyway: I rolled a 7 for initiative and want to move to m10 look at my opponent and pick up the bow there. If he is still conscious and if I can I'd like to shoot him with it.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
User avatar
Longman
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:12 am

Re: BRANDON of ARKANEA

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:34 am

No worries. Probably better to go slow than make moves when you can't quite see what is happening.

You win the initiative and move to M10 where you can retrieve a shortbow and 2 arrows.

That's your full move (one move action, one pick up action). You can't fire.

The guy you threw the spear at looks somewhat dead, and definitely no longer a part of the combat anyway. He's still got the dagger and the ingot on him.

The troll moves onto the ballast island at H12. That is its turn.

Your go. No initiative required from now on.
User avatar
SerGavin
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:51 pm
Location: England.

Re: BRANDON of ARKANEA

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:32 pm

I'll try to jump across to k12 and loot the dagger and ingots off of the somewhat dead man. then if I can jump across again I will move to n09 and maybe jump across to m07? if not I will move across the bridges as far as I can in the 015 direction.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Locked