BARGUK the HALF-ORC

Gladiator combat PbP action

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: BARGUK the HALF-ORC

Post by Longman »

You wake up in the cell, with two grey-robed people in blank masks attending to you. All your wounds are healed and you feels perfectly normal.

The evil-looking gnome is present. (So are two ogres, outside the cell.)

"Well, your opponent wanted to kill you, but the arena judge decided to let you live," says the gnome. "You've only just been captured, killing you off at once would be a waste. But that won't count in our favor for very long. Fight better next time, or you could be killed on the arena floor."

You get 250 exp for the loss, and no reputation points.

Do you want to keep playing? If so, roll for initiative and we can get started on the next fight.
pinewood

Post by pinewood »

Barguk prepares for his next combatant.

Initiative: 4
Longman

Post by Longman »

Barguk - - your next arena is different to the starting arena.

download/file.php?id=2033

(Download)

It's also underground with a 40' ceiling and also has 15' high walls protecting the galleries to all sides. It is magically lit. There are only 2 entrances. You are at C01.

There are about 100 people in here and its pretty loud.

To the north of you is a huge troll. It looks angry. You see people in the galleries pelting it with small stones. The sandy floor of the arena is littered with thrown food and stones.

In the middle of the arena is a large artificial pond. Islands of rubble have been made, and rickety rope and wooden bridges strung between them. On some of the islands there seems to be platforms with items upon them. You can't make out what they are at this stage.

Your apparent opponent emerges at S20, about 90 feet from you. He is humanoid and dark-skinned, and not a human.

He rolls a 3 for initiative, so you win. What do you do?

(Behind you is a human guard in chain mail and with a mace).
pinewood

Post by pinewood »

Barguk runs up to the closest bridge, ending up around D08.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Barguk, you can actually move 16 squares if you are running (a double move). You will have to make a Dex roll to run over the ballast islands, if you run on them. But you could easily get to I09 in safety. Do you want to do that?

Your opponent has also moved. He is an unarmed hobgoblin. (You are also unarmed, by the way.) He moves to M14 and steadies himself on the ballast.

The troll goes last. You now realise that it has large weights chained around its legs, and cannot move very fast. It moves down to E12.

You identify several items on the islands one is a short-bow (M10). At M07 and K12, there seem to be gold ingots positioned on wooden platforms on the ballast islands. Prizes?

You also notice slithering tracks in the sand, like a large reptile may be in the water somewhere. You do not know where it is.

Roll for initiative. The troll will certainly go last. Your opponent may not.
pinewood

Post by pinewood »

I09 sounds great.

Barguk rolls a 2 for initiative.
I'm assuming I start this turn at 109 correct?

In that case I move towards M10. Do I see any arrows?
Longman

Post by Longman »

Your opponent, Horl the Hobgoblin, rolls a 6. He moves over the bridge to K12, where he collects the gold ingot you saw. He also collects a dagger, which you could not previously see. That's his go.

In your move, you head to M10, and you collect a shortbow and 2 arrows. That's your go.

The troll moves to G09. It has obviously played this game before. It can't go on the bridges, it's too heavy. It stays at G09. People in the stands keep throwing small rocks at it, which do not harm it, but anger it.

You are at M10 with a shortbow and 2 arrows. Roll for init.
pinewood

Post by pinewood »

Barguk rolls an initiative of 4.

He swims to M07.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Your opponent the hobgoblin also rolls at 4, so you are tied.

You do not need to swim. You could jump into the northern part of M08. It's only a 5'jump. That would require a sucessful dex roll (roll under your dex) and I;d give you a bonus of minus 4 because it's quite easy. If you fail, you would either roll your ankl on the ballast, or fall in the water.

While you are making your mind up, your opponent attempts to leap from his island onto yours, carrying the dagger and ingot. He succeeds and lands on the island next to you. I will rule that he cannot attack you because your initiatives were simultaneous.

The troll decides to lift up the bridge at G09 and ruin it. A blast of magical energy emerges from out of the stands and hits the troll. It howl with pain and misery. Everyone cheers.

It's still you go. Swim, or jump? Then roll for initiative again.
pinewood

Post by pinewood »

Dex roll of 5
Initiative roll of 2

Upon landing Barguk is distracted, for but a moment, by the troll's howl (manifest of the poor initiative roll). Quickly after he turns himself towards the hobgoblin and fires one of his arrows.

OOC: For the short bow which stat is used for attack bonus?