Scene 01 The Split Goose

Adventures set in and around Matt Jackson's Bethmoora setting.

Moderator: mattjackson

mattjackson

Scene 01 The Split Goose

Post by mattjackson »

It is one of the last warm nights of the fall and the local taverns are alive with chatter. Most recognize this will be one of the last warm days in Bethmoora for the rest of the year and they are determined to make the most of it.

You however, have just made it into the city from where ever you came from. And for whatever reasons you may have, you have made your way to a tavern named The Split Goose. You have been inside just long enough to get a good strong drink to wet your dry throat when the front door bangs open. The entire room goes silent and heads turn.

A rather gaudily dressed halfling strolls across the room, his confident swagger would be laughable if even you did not get the impression this guy could kick some serious ass. If he cannot, he sure is a great actor.

He steps to the bar and on cue the bartender slides a box from behind the bar just before the little fellow reaches it. He hops up and soon is standing atop the bar. The entire room has sat quietly and watched him cross the room.

He turns to face the room and with an extravagant gesture produces a large scroll. A moment ago he had nothing in his hands, surprised face look to and fro in shock, wowed by whatever magic this little man wields.

He clears his throat. Still the room is silent.

“My good sirs,” he pauses and surveys the room. Before continuing he gives a slight nod to one corner of the room. “And beautiful ladies, I bid you good day and news of a new discovery deep in Ghorl Nigral.”

A few of the patrons turn back to their drink, apparently not interested in what the little man has to say. He ignores them and unfazed, continues.

“His lordship, Master Dundarbury, proprietor of the Seven Black Sails has laid an approved stake upon a newly discovered claim one and a quarter turns down. His lordship is currently seeking brave and curious souls, men of valor and arms, to enter this claim and retrieve any valuables within. Shares are currently set to forty percent of the combined take on the claim. Those interested can see me immediately following this announcement.”

He pauses a moment and looks about the room as if expecting someone to speak up. When no one does, he says “And to you a good ‘morrow.” A coin magically appears in his hands and he tosses the square coin through the air to the barkeep, adds a slight nod, and steps down to the floor. You swear he had just been holding a scroll but now cannot for the life of you recall what happened to it or where it might have gone.

He then takes a seat at an empty table and begins sipping the ale that has been waiting for him.

Notes on the image- You are all in the front room, the common 'pub' area, many people are standing around rather than sitting. The back area behind the curtain is a more private area for people wanting to be discreet.The little fellow went to sit at the table in the corner.
Attachments
The Split Goose.png
The Split Goose.png (337.58 KiB) Viewed 15029 times
matt jackson
http://www.msjx.org
Will

Re: Scene 01 The Split Goose

Post by Will »

I walk up to his table and say "90."
Maltese Changeling

Post by Maltese Changeling »

Bragi comes up alongside the elf, listening intently to the bargaining.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Does the party know each other already?

Sparka will finish her mead and silently join the other two.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
mattjackson

Post by mattjackson »

Nope, you do not.
matt jackson
mattjackson

Post by mattjackson »

He eyes the three of you, sipping his ale all the while. "Ninety you say good sir?" His eyes stop on the dark elf, one eyebrow slides upward. "Please...elaborate, ninety....what exactly?"
matt jackson
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

walking up to the table quite auspiciously, a man says "Sure, I'll do it."
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Will

Post by Will »

90 percent. I take the risks, I expect to be paid.
mattjackson

Post by mattjackson »

((LOL Ok, we will give this a go. For many social interactions I like to use a dice mechanics similar to the one used in Dungeon World, it allows heroes to do things heroic that might not normally fly. I think it fits here. I call for a Charisma check, 2d6+CHA...roll 2d6 and add any modifiers you get from Charisma. I will apply situation modifiers based on the scene. Go ahead and roll Will, we'll see where this goes.))

(( Also, I tend to put OOC chat in this thread in italics and in parenthesis to help make it stand out. ))
matt jackson
Will

Post by Will »

I roll a 10 with -1 Cha for a 9.