[OOC] Autumnpeak

Metroknight's campaign featuring adventures from AA1 Adventure Anthology 1.

Moderator: Metroknight

jw76

Re: [OOC] A play by post game

Post by jw76 »

Just posting my interest based on PM discussion with Metroknight. I'll be working through the discussion this evening and will be posting for character concept soon. Looking forward to it.

Ok, I'm thinking half-elf MU apprentice. I just used the dice roller here on the Basicfantasy site for gold and abilities, but if you want to handle rolls some other way let me know. I will put together character in the appropriate thread and can always modify if you decide to deal with dice differently.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

here is fine (I had to look around for it as I did not know if there was a dice roller here) or another dice site is fine also. I use to use Invisible Castle but it vanished a few years ago. I have used Rolz.org for pbp games on sites that did not have a dice roller and probably use it for this game also.

I trust my players not to cheat for it ruins their story not mine.
jw76

Post by jw76 »

I am going to play a Magic-User's apprentice, but wanted to know how you plan to handle the few cantrips I will have available. Will you choose them or do I, and I'm not completely sure how many I'll get or how many per day since it's a zero level thing. I'll be grateful for any help.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

jw76 wrote:I am going to play a Magic-User's apprentice, but wanted to know how you plan to handle the few cantrips I will have available. Will you choose them or do I, and I'm not completely sure how many I'll get or how many per day since it's a zero level thing. I'll be grateful for any help.
In the 0 level spell supplement (pg 1) it states
A spellcaster learns a number of 0 level spells equal to 1d4 plus his or her relevant ability bonus while in training, and can learn additional cantrips any time a trainer is available. Non-spellcasters may only learn 0 level spells from a trainer.
So that is what I was planning on using but I'm also combining the magic user options supplement's "free cantrip use" option and the bonus spells option that are on page 2 and 3 respectively. So it would be starting cantrips 1d4+the bonuses from the chart instead of your relevant ability bonus (but I think they are the same anyway).
magic user option r4 wrote:Free Cantrip Use
For GMs who also use the 0-Level Spells supplement, this allows magicians free, unlimited use of cantrips. These are minor spells with very little real effect in game terms, but they add a magical flavor to the Magic-User and the game.
and
Bonus Spells
With this rule, Magic-Users gain bonus spells for high Intelligence. This allows the character to prepare more spells of certain levels than usual. Characters may not prepare spells above the level they can cast, so even though a character with an 18 intelligence gets a second level spell as a bonus spell, he or she can't prepare second level spells until reaching third level. If the GM uses the optional 0-Level Spells supplement, then the cantrip column can also be used.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

About the characters

Woe, you will need to edit your Dexterity modifier as it should be +2
jw76

Post by jw76 »

Ok, thanks for the clarification. One other question though, I think my bonus is correct, doesn't a 16 or 17 equate to a +2 bonus. I could be wrong so just slap me with the rule book if I am.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

you are correct, my mistake. I apparently misread your stats.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

jw76 wrote:I am going to play a Magic-User's apprentice, but wanted to know how you plan to handle the few cantrips I will have available. Will you choose them or do I,
I totally forgot to state that I will be letting any spell caster choose their initial cantrips. After the game starts, it will be a matter of finding a trainer who knows the specific cantrip that is desired.

Now spells on the other hand will be determined by me in the manner I will offer the player a choice between a selection of spells (there might be one or two from the libram magica also) that I roll for.
jw76

Post by jw76 »

Ok, great. I kinda assumed that, so went ahead and chose. I will do a bit of tidying up tomorrow, but other than the brief background I'm pretty much done.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I also tried to give everyone enough room to build their background and have creativity in doing so. I only placed three human settlements but gave reference to the demi-human races also so that if anyone wanted to play an elf, a dwarf, or such they knew where to roughly choose their homeland in reference to Autumnpeak.

I really believe in letting players add detail into the world instead of starting off with everything already created. It is one of the reasons I haven't posted anything about the gods of the realm. Not sure if it would be relevant or not also not sure if anyone is going to play a cleric type character and if they want to go that deep in detail.