Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

Post by Longman »

Placeholder for new chapter on board the ship. Day 17, starting at 10am.

Please give yourself the exp detailed in the hollow log and level up if you can.

Everyone on full HP and spells.

Maju is raised by the cleric Elias, using the reclaimed scroll. The spell does not fail.

Maju - the spells you have gained from the scrolls are Teleport (5), Hold Monster (5), and a special spell called Reverse Sentience (6) which seems to have been designed for the purpose of undoing another spell (Sentience) that grants permanent sentience to mammalian creatures. This is obviously the magic used to make the monkey men that still apparently roam the island.
MevlyTM

Re: Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

Post by MevlyTM »

As the words of the priestess' prayer began to fade, Maju's eyes opened with start. He inhaled sharply, a long deep draught of air. He immediately grasped Maroo with his one good arm, staring at her with terrified eyes. After an uncomfortably long time just staring at her, Maju's body began to relax again. He laid fully on his back, breathing deeply with his arm across his eyes. He muttered, "I feel terrible. What happened?"

[Rest of party fills him in here.]

Maju kept staring at his damaged right arm, thinking that it's a good thing that he's left-handed. Still, he decided to hide his infirmity under his cloak. He looked at his companions, thanking them for thinking of him and bringing him back from the emptiness of death.

With his one good arm, Maju began going through what was left of his things. He cam across the small mirror. Looking into it, he was taken aback by the appearance of his now scarred face. Then he came across his destroyed spell books. "No…no no no!", he said with alarm. "My spell book…it's gone!" Then a realization dawned on him. He ran onboard the ship, saying mostly to himself, "Maybe they're still there…they have to be there…surely no one would have found them…"

He went into the hold of the ship. To his relief, he found what he was looking for. When the pirates took the ship, Maju was worried that they might discover his spell book. So he spent his time in captivity transcribing his spells onto small pieces of parchment, then hiding them into small seams of the wood of the ship's hull. He managed to recover his spells. Still, he was a bit distraught at the loss of his mentor's spell book. It was the last of what Maju had to remember him by.

He went onto the deck of the ship, his left hand instinctively reaching into his cloak to pet Taku. Then upon realizing that she wasn't there, he looked to the sky expectantly. Through weeping eyes, he saw nothing.

OOC: I'll post an updated character sheet this weekend.
quozl

Post by quozl »

It is good to have you back, my friend. We have little left but we will press on.

YC leaves Maju to grieve and searches the ship for supplies.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

It is good to have you back! What a horrible battle that was. At least, Jab-Afri has paid for his crimes.

Rostam will spend some time in prayer after Maju has been restored, thanking the great spirit for their victory and mourning for Sonja.
Later, he will the ask the captain about the state of the ship and what needs to be done to leave the island.

Did Teruk and his men already leave?
Longman

Post by Longman »

The monk's search of the ship reveals that the pirates have done quite well with food - there are still 6 days left (each) out of the food supply that was on board. You might supplement this with fishing once you get out to sea.

There are still 2 days worth of timber repairs and caulking to be done, mostly on the ship's underside. Then, the ship can sail.

Teruk stayed the night (16) but would like to get back to his village now.

"Master Maju, I have done as you asked and helped with the recovery of this vessel. I feel it is time for my men to depart. If you return to our village again you have an ally there."

Any final words before he goes?
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Jaali would like to take a few pieces of jewelry from the party's newly acquired treasure and go to Maju.

"Maju, can you do something for me ? Give these to Teruk and tell him I'm sorry for borrowing their religious trinkets. I realize that was stupid now that his tribe pretty much saved our lives. I already have enough enemies all over the world, I don't need new ones."

Edit: Jaali would like to pick the bigger, most show off pieces, not necessarily the ones with the most value. Is everyone in the party OK with that ?
quozl

Post by quozl »

YC approves. Meanwhile, he is asking the pirates what it would take to get this ship sailing the ocean again.
Longman

Post by Longman »

You can give Teruk some items from Kanya or the ships' treasure. He doesn't actually appear that interested. He seems more interested in getting GUNS. There are quite a few on the ship without a current owner..

The ship just needs 2 days repairs including today. Sailing might be tricky, as your crew numbers are so low...also, Teruk tells you a story that some men of the island have tried exploring on rafts and end up just coming back again somehow...

You gs are still only at breakfast. Plenty of time to make decisions, RP, etc.

Incidentally I have split off old characters into either The Morgue or a file for NPCs. Your current characters are in the usual place.

We now only have 4 players so please post regularly otherwise this is going downhill. I've lost Woe, pinewood and SerGavin. Is the game too complex?
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Teruk, I will be forever in your debt for the help you have given us. You have also helped to destroy an evil man. May Ormazd bless you and your people!

If Teruk wants guns, Rostam will looks for some that are currently without an owner (he will not gift away Saracen's gun as he a stated that he was only borrowing it), plus powder + bullets. Personally, he feels more comfortable with a bow - even more so after having seen what happened to Sonya. And a paladin is allowed to be old-fashioned.

The story about the rafts coming back worries him a bit:
This island is an unusual place. It may be that we have more to do here before we can leave.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

"Bah, that's probably just old legends or lousy sailors. Speaking of sailing, if we're planning in making this ship ours, we'll need a Captain. I already have the pistol and cutlass, Maju got a missing limb, we'll look like real pirates if one of us two is put in that position. Unless anyone has a better proposal ?"