Chapter 4a: Battle in the Dunes

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Rhialto

Re: Chapter 4a: The Whirlwind

Post by Rhialto »

OOC: If I am the only active player in this group, I am calling this.
I assume we did so far follow the green line on the map to the hex southeast of the ruins.
Now, instead of progressing along the green line, we go northeast to one hex south of the ship.
If Maju's hawk is able to, it should look for any signs of people moving from the ruins back to the ship.
As the events at the ruins probably take much less time than our travels, I'll stay on hold until Longman tells me / us to go on.
Longman

Post by Longman »

This seems a likely outcome - -

The party progress north for a bit, as you say, to avoid the dinosaurs in the hex that you had planned to move into.

Maju sends his falcon to have another look at the situation behind you. It returns to reveal that Jab-Afri and a lizard man pirate are riding rather fast along your trails, on a camel.

The charmed dinosaur may be slowing you down a bit here (move 30). If you ditch it and keep moving you may be able to outrun the camel (move 50). Your move speed will be 40, but you are sufficiently ahead that you will still make it.

Can I point out that the purpose of going to the jungle was so that your tracks would be hard to follow? Jab-Afri will find you easily, in the sand.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju commands the efreeti back into his bottle.

OOC: Am I correct in thinking that the efreeti can no longer serve Maju today since he's already been out for one hour?

After Taku returns, Maju coaxes her back into his jacket saying, "You've done well. Now take your rest."

OOC: I'm not sure we're up to fighting the pirate mage at this time - especially if Maju can't access the efreeti anymore today. It might be time to loose the dinosaur. I take it that if we move at Kyo's speed that it's an easy calculation where the pirates will overtake us?
Rhialto wrote:OOC: If I am the only active player in this group...
No - I'm still here. I was just waiting for the events at the ruins to resolve themselves for time continuity purposes.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Hi Mevly,

The pirates attacked the ruins after about an hour and a half after you left. You are at 2 hours 30 mins, I think. I don't think the time lag is going to matter too much.

I've decided the bottle doesn't work as a standard efreet bottle. You have 4 openings or 4 hours left, whichever comes first. You can keep him around if you want. You have used him for an hour and 10 minutes so far, with 2 openings. I think that is correct.

You can't exactly calculate where the pirate would overtake you if you stayed with Kyo, but it would be before you got to the jungle. If you ditch Kyo, you'd probably make it to the jungle.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Longman wrote:I've decided the bottle doesn't work as a standard efreet bottle. You have 4 openings or 4 hours left, whichever comes first. You can keep him around if you want. You have used him for an hour and 10 minutes so far, with 2 openings. I think that is correct.
OOC: In that case, I would like to ret-con here a little if you'll allow it. And I'm sorry if you had already explained this and I forgot.

With the efreeti having just returned from his mission, Maju says, "Our best bet at defeating Jab Al-Afri might be to allow the efreeti to fight him - especially since his djinni was just defeated. So perhaps we should keep him out of his bottle (thus not using another opening) but invisible while we move *toward* our pursuers. Then we could let the efreeti participate in defeating him. Either way requires significant risk. However, we might never again get as good an opportunity to catch the pirate weakened and without his compatriots. And if we're successful, the question of retaking the ship becomes a simple one."
Longman

Post by Longman »

Elias the Kappa speaks:

I'm prepared to fight! These pirates are the same sort of scum that killed my father!
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Longman wrote:Elias the Kappa speaks:

I'm prepared to fight! These pirates are the same sort of scum that killed my father!
Maju says, "Very well. Let us approach them directly, ready to fight."

He turns to Laylat AlHariq and says, "You must keep yourself invisible. When we attack, you must also. Don't worry about the lizard man. Instead attack the pirate mage with as much power as you can muster. Do not relent until he is destroyed. He is a powerful foe and must be taken seriously."

Then he addresses Teruk and his men saying, "You and your men attack the lizard man who is accompanying the pirate captain. With luck, the fire demon and my other companions here will dispatch the mage. Don't hesitate to be as brutal as you can. These are evil beings who are not to be trifled with. If we don't destroy him, he may well return to abduct your entire village and sell them into a life of enslavement."

OOC: If Rostram wants to do something else, that's fine. I'm not trying to force what we do (I like consensus). But we are unlikely to find the pirate mage in a more vulnerable state.
Longman

Post by Longman »

OOC - I'll give Rhialto a chance to confirm or comment and then move on in a few days.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Rostam actually looks relieved
This trip through the desert felt too much like running away.

Let us turn back and find a place where we can make a stand.
While I prefer a bow for hunting game, this rifle may be just the right weapon to hunt a pirate-mage.

OOC: Sorry for not posting sooner.
And btw: unless I missed something and we are mounted, Rostam is even slower than the dinosaur since he is wearing Saracen's banded mail.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Rostam - I think you would have left the armor on the dinosaur, or ridden on her.

I take it you are keeping the dinosaur and moving back towards the pirate mage, at 30', until you encounter him? The efreet can go invisible at will, so he might as well be invisible the whole time.

There were some slight dunes that you could hide behind, about 25 minutes behind you. If you hid well, he might ride right over the dunes and then battle would be joined at close range. That's the only spot that might work for an ambush. Anywhere else, he will see you coming from miles away.

You think you can make it back to the dunes before he does, but you are not sure, The falcon might be of some use, but if he sees it, the game is up anyway.

Let's keep this rolling over Xmas even though Rhialto will miss a few days. If you do meet in battle, it will be quite long.