Chapter 4: Battle in the Ruins

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: Chapter 4: Jab-Afri the Pirate Mage

Post by Longman »

Just to clarify Jaali - does that mean you try to hide at I01, the second landing?

If you do that, OK.

If you are moving to a location, you have a move of 3 squares right now if you are moving silently. You could go up the stairs or down. Do you move or stay put?
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

I'm kinda confused about where I am now and where I think Kanya is. Can you give me the positions please Longman ?

Edit : I'm sorry, I was checking the wrong post. Indeed is was stated in the last post... Jaali would like to sneakily go up the stairs to sneak on Kanya. I guess I'm moving at half my movement, which should be 20 feet.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Jaali -

So, you escaped down the stairs, and now you move back up again? OK...

You reach the top of the stairs and peek out. You see Kanya. She doesn't see you.

The pirates have actually brought a fair amount of equipment into the large cube. I didn't mention this before as you had hardly any time to observe it. You see Kanya preparing a powder horn with some fuse wire. It looks like she will attempt to blow up the stairwell, either next round or the one after.

You may surprise her, but it would be unlikely. She does not have her back to the stairs and looks pretty alert.

Sonja - this bit is complex and important.

you move 4 squares to reach I03 and realise just in time that Farhan is hiding in K04, waiting to attack you with more shuriken when you move into J03. After 3 attempts to break your initiative tie, you finally win, and can have the second half of your turn before he acts.

So far you have moved 40'. You can technically move 80' in your full turn, running. If you want you can run back to where you started from, by the end of your round. It may not stop him attacking you this round but it might make things harder for him.

You could also keep going up the stairs with your remaining 40 feet of movement but he will definitely throw shuriken at you while you are running through J03.

Or you could run right at him and end up engaging him in melee for next round (except your bow is out). He's still get to fire at you in J03.

Or you could move into J03 and prepare to fire, next round. Again, he would still fire at you in that square.

You can't fire through the monkeys, by the way. They take up too much of their squares.

Your choice.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Check my understanding please? I need more options! :)

- I can draw my greatsword but then I'm at 30' of a move
- I can stop and counter-ambush
- I can hide

More on option #2: if I stop at 30' (don't run the second half) and instead prep to shoot, will I be able to shoot at him if he tries to throw the shuriken at me?

PS I only move 30'/rd not 40'/rd.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

I keep forgetting your move is only 30.

In that case, you moved to I04, and then realised he has hidden (badly) on the other side of the monkeys, in K04.

The thing is, you have already had half your round, so you can't attack him this round under any circumstances - unless you try to push the monkeys over onto him, which will almost certainly fail.

You can move 3 more squares in any direction but he will attack you if you move into J03.
You could swap weapons and stay in your current position.
You could "counter ambush" by staying put and readying to shoot him if he moves around the corner during his turn.
You could hide by moving behind the monkeys in H04. That would be pretty hard. Jaali is a little guy and made it look easy but you are much taller and have a big sword on you...

I need your action before we move onto the next round. Jaali has already acted this round.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

I'm not an expert with gunpowder, but Jaali probably knows more than me. Do I know what will happen if I try to shoot the powder horn in Kanya's hands ?
Longman

Post by Longman »

I've rolled for you and you do think know what would happen.

If it explodes (I'd make a save vs Death Ray based on her level to determine that) she would take 10d6+20 hit points, half if she saved vs Death Ray. That would blow her to pieces unless the rolls were incredibly low, and she saved.

But, the radius is 25 feet. So, you'd take that damage as well. EDIT: I might allow you to take less damage as you are crouched down in the stairwell, but you would certainly take some.

It may also collapse the cube.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

If it explodes, even if I'm crouched in the stairs, the horn in my backpack will explode too, so I'm gonna be toast.

I'll think of something and post my action soon.
Woe

Post by Woe »

I'm going to get down and counter-ambush. If it is a free action and he is ~20' away, I will also activate my ring of x-ray vision and cover the vial.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

OK. The x-ray ring is activated. You (Sonja) can now see him through the monkeys.

Covering the light would be an action. So I'm saying you have not done that, for the time being. It wouldn't have changed the outcome much.

Farhan moves around the corner. You shoot him, right? Thwack. You hit, and do him 11 hit points. That's pretty nasty. He's taken 15 but isn't out. The arrow is in his left shoulder.

He throws a shuriken at you. He only gets one go, this time. He hits you. He does 3 hit points.

That's the end of the round. Both declare your actions please. Sonja, you are tied with Farhan and you can't tell if he is going to go before or after you.