Chapter 3: A Dangerous Detour

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Woe

Re: Chapter 3: The Sailing of the Ark-Ari

Post by Woe »

"Perhaps Taku could come with us, and you can both stay here and watch the proceedings near the pier."
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Teruk asks Maju what the issue is, and speaks up.

"Honestly, we have never known what kind of magic it is that protects these places. Just like in Sulan - there is just something about the place. But nothing that we can see. All you will see when you get down there is an old pier of magical stone (concrete) just like the one you saw at the back of the old temple. Unless you have some way of detecting these things. But I would not know about that.

Incidentally, out from the beach there is the remains of a very old ship, but not of any kind we know. We think it is made by the wizards of old. It is in three hundred feet of water, just past a drop off. Our best free divers cannot spend longer than a moment down there, but your Zargh (Saracen) could explore freely. Perhaps that would help solve the mystery of the magic."

He cannot hide the slight distaste when he refers to Saracen.

Just to clarify - you can't see the beach from here, nor can you see through the bird's eyes. So whatever the bird saw would have to be relayed back to Maju later. And any one of you could do that.
quozl

Post by quozl »

Maju, it seems we will need your magic. Let the dinosaur go. Like my abbot says, "If it's yours, it will come back to you. If it does not, it was never yours at all."
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

"I would prefer to you and your magic with us Maju, but I can't force you. In any case, I really think we should be going now. Who's following me ?"
Longman

Post by Longman »

Well, no response from Maju so it seems like we're sticking to the original plan. He's staying behind, with three of Teruk's men as a guard.

You walk the last mile or so down to the beach. The bay is wide and long and the sand is golden and the water is a perfect azure and these are things your characters probably do not care about at all.

Like Teruk said, there is also the remains of an old concrete boat pier, ragged with age, sticking out through the shallows, and up to the first drop-off. It's huge - about three hundred feet long. Kanya spots the foundations of a few buildings, too, at the base of the pier.

Teruk's 11 men come to greet their prince. These guys haven't seen each other in weeks so there is much greeting an reaffirming of loyalty vows and it all gets a bit much.

"Where is Kulka?" says Teruk, referring to the missing 12th man.

"Yeah, about that," is their reply. "There are some Zargh (sea-elves) messing about with a sea-lizard they have charmed. It ate him while he was out fishing. Since then we've only been able to fish from the pier. It's kind of a bummer. Speaking of which, what's up with the Zargh? He a prisoner?"

(These natives have a kind of "laid back beach vibe" going on.)

Take over the conversation, or let me know what you want to do down here. If you don't do anything, they'll spend the night and then continue tomorrow morning.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

As we can't really communicate with them, as Maju is away, I guess our best bet would be to wait until is Teruk is ready to go back to Maju ?
Longman

Post by Longman »

Apinya can talk to them. You can communicate all you like.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

A ship wreck. Hmmm. There could be something interesting down there. Or something very dangerous. Kanya, could you heal me? I for one would like to know whats down there.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Very well. Best hope I recall how." (zzzat! One reversed cause light wounds coming up!)
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

ZZZat! Seven fine hit points enter Saracen's frame. He's back on 22, fairly safe now. It's been six days since he was injured.

The sea is calling out to Saracen as it has been 11 days since he got himself completely wet, and he is very itchy.

It's nightfall now, so if he waits until morning for his underwater explorations, he'll be on 23hp and visibility will be better. Or he could go in right now. He can see underwater with infravision to 60', so going into the water now is still a possibility.

Teruk is quite obliging in showing him the direction of the ship, which is out past the end of the pier, at the second drop off.

If Saracen does go underwater, can you tell me exactly what he is and isn't carrying.