Chapter 1: After the Storm

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: Chapter 1: After the Storm

Post by Longman »

So, Saracen is a pirate! Good.

As Saracen was leaving, the pirate leader was organising another small group of pirates plus crew to go back to the ship and see about re-floating it when the high tide comes in. But there's a hole in the bottom of the hull, and lots of rocks out there, so Saracen isn't feeling that optimistic.

You've gone for about half an hour into the jungle now and your scouting trip is going to become a full blown expedition, if you don't turn back. It's now 2.30pm.

Incidentally, you found fresh water pretty quick. There's a stream just inside the jungle, near the beach. So, if you trust it, you can drink freely.
Woe

Post by Woe »

With a look of scorn at Saracen, Sonja answers "You don't need to be a robber to know that hulk won't be leaving the reef in one piece. That keel is mounted high on the rocks and it'll take another storm with ten foot swells to displace it. And those swells? They'd have to be coming up beneath the ship opposed to crashing down on it. And good riddance to it. I'd rather be shipwrecked than sold at a pirate's auction."

She'll get out her handaxe, sort her bearings, and then start blazing through the jungle foilage. "Maju, your falcon said the mountains were this way? We might as well get moving. Those mountains aren't going to come to us."
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Jaali is helping Sonja cut the foilage with his cutlass to make it easier for the rest of the party. I guess they're both in the front, if that eventually matters ? Also, Jaali did drink from the fresh water stream.
Longman

Post by Longman »

OK everyone.

I'm going to wait a bit longer to give people a chance to say anything more before you continue into the wilderness. If you want to talk about turning back, or deviating into the desert to the west, now is your chance. Tomorrow, I'll assume that you are heading pretty much due south, and go for it.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

The angry woman is right you know, that ship won't be leaving any time soon and some of the crew know it, which is another reason for me to be here with you rather than back there. Saracen follows behind and watches the others cut a path through the jungle, making no effort to help them.There are worse places to be stranded I suppose, at least we have food and water... And apparently lizards the size of houses!
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Woe

Post by Woe »

To Jaali: "Don't use your cutlass. That's too good of a blade for these vines. If you want to cut anything at all, use your knife. But if you ask me, we'll be better off with you collecting dry firewood for tonight." Sonja will motion to Jaali's daggers on his bandolier.

To Saracen: "Let's be clear. This 'angry woman' doesn't want you here. I don't like pirates and I'm half tempted to gut you now. You might live longer going back to your friends and telling them you lost us in the woods. Or we were eaten by tigers. I don't care."
Nothing personal. Sonja doesn't like pirates for the untold reasons in her character background. Technically, she wouldn't like Seljuk Turks because they sacked Jericho, but I morphed that into pirates because it was easier mentally. I made that decision before I knew you were a pirate, so sorry! :( I meant to put pirates as my hated enemy, put humans, and it's probably stuck like that now.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

OOC: During a break in the hiking, Maju would like to discretely cast Detect Magic in an attempt to see whether the jungle is somehow enchanted or illusory. I'm not sure if this spell is capable of doing that, but I thought I'd ask.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

"Look, Sonja, I totally understand your anger, but I can't agree with you. I don't want to get eaten alive and I'm pretty sure you also don't want to end up like this. We need all the helping hands we can, pirates or not. I may only be three feet high, but I'll ask you once : can we please all act like big grown-up persons and get to that goddamn mountain ? And to be honest. There is dozens of pirates on the beach down there, do you reaaly want us to make them our ennemies ?"
Woe

Post by Woe »

It really depends on what kind of pirate Saracen is. If he's a Disney pirate like Smee or Jack Sparrow, then you're right -- Sonja will eventually be ok with him. But if he's a murderer and rapist -- in other words, a "real" pirate -- he's not going to get that much love.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

OOC : Jaali is actually a thief, that's the main reason he backs Saracen for now, as he don't know him. He just feels that if the party don't want a pirate, they won't want a thief too. It's a bit of a selfish move honestly. That and the fact that it will help his survival chances.