Base Camp (Chit Chat)

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: Base Camp (Chit Chat)

Post by Longman »

The cleric Elias has a scroll of Raise Dead.

It's back at the ship.

Teruk's people have no magic. The clerics in the villages further south may have some magic. There's a problem there with the Skull Cult taking over everyone else.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

So what do we do next?
Heal everybody, pick up our things and Maju's body and head back to the ruins?

If Elias can handle his own wounds, Rostam will expend his healing ability on the soldier who took the magic missile.
quozl

Post by quozl »

Yeah, that sounds good to me.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Kind of torn here.

I could ask for Maju to be revived. He would be much, much weaker. He would go down to 4th level, 10,000 XP + 1800 XP (and he was only 8k away from 6th level too!). He would lose his 3rd level spell, which is a big deal. And he has lost his familiar, so he would have fewer hit points (he was pretty squishy to start with). But it would be cool to be able to claim to have come back from the dead from an RP perspective. And I really like the character. Are there any other ill effects from resurrection that I'm missing?

Or, I might just make a new PC. I'm considering a Barbarian (if you'll allow that Longman). It would be fun in that it's very different from the normal types of PCs I usually play. Only problem there is that it leaves a hole in our party - we won't really have much in the way of magic ability. And a barbarian would be pretty one-dimensional. I'm not sure if that would be boring to play.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Yeah, it's a bummer. The killer is the part about dropping back to the lowest exp of the previous level. You would literally lose 22k experience points - more than you even started the game with.

Here's an idea - Maju is raised (unless Woe has other ideas) but becomes an NPC / "other" adventurer. You can pick up a barbarian character as your main guy. Maju can still provide a plot focus down in Salaya, if you ever get there.

If you want to do that give me a barbarian starting on 32k exp. You will end up slightly behind everyone else because you won't get the big exp dump that is about to happen.

Woe has not been seen in some time but may reappear. She may want to use the scroll for her character.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

I'm still feeling like I could go either way on this. It seems that the pirate mage had some magic rings/items on him that might help to make up for Maju's loss of a level (at least Longman alluded to such). I don't want Maju to be at such a low level that he's a detriment to the group.

Also, if woe does show up and want to revive her PC, then I'll defer to her wishes.
Longman

Post by Longman »

THE RINGS GOT FRIED BY YOUR LIGHTNING BOLT.

The mage has bracers, a scimitar, and a lot of other jewelry.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Okay, if the rest of the party is okay with it, let's try to perform resurrection on Maju. If it seems like he's too much of a detriment to the party (at only 4th level, and with questionable spell resources), I'll retire him and go for a new PC. From a story perspective, a resurrected wizard with a 'dead' arm seems like it might be fun.

If the spell succeeds, I'll repost Maju with the new stats, etc.
Longman wrote:THE RINGS GOT FRIED BY YOUR LIGHTNING BOLT.
I know you said that, but you also said that only some of his jewelry was fried, but not sure which was magical or not. That's why I asked. Not trying to be annoying.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Will the pirates just surrender or do we have to play that out?
Longman

Post by Longman »

They'll surrender but what are you going to do with them?

The ship was designed for 30 crew minimum. You have 4 crew, 6 pirates, and yourselves (and none of you can sail). You may need the pirates to sail the ship. Teruk and his men will not accompany you.