Base Camp (Chit Chat)

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Woe

Re: Base Camp (Chit Chat)

Post by Woe »

Unfortunately, that doesn't help. A week ago was the mutiny, which means Sonja met the other PCs at the same time the mutiny occurred. She wouldn't trust them that quickly. For yet-unmentioned reason, she's not exactly a trusting type, and definitely not under such situations.

I'm thinking she's a pirate (who hates pirates?), which means she definitely wouldn't trust the non-pirates either. Being a pirate makes it difficult because a) is she going to try to organize the pirates? b) will the non-pirates resent her? Being a pirate of a different group is probably better, because then she'll want to be incognito as long as Jab-Afri is around. He probably wouldn't like the competition. Still... she definitely wouldn't trust anyone else as a hidden pirate. If she trusts no one, she'll treat the PCs as potential rivals and not help them unless it furthers her own goals.

I don't think the game is Survivor-styled though, which is why I'm casting about trying to trust the PCs more than others.

As for the useless 0th-level fodder... I wouldn't be surprised if Sonja makes the suggestion, she argues with Yuan-Cheng and Maju about it, she angrily concedes provided that the useless fodder are assigned into a work party under the direction of one of them. She might fight one of them, but not both. Still... slaughtering the weak would definitely set an interesting tone for the rest of the adventure!
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
quozl

Post by quozl »

Yuan-Cheng would definitely fight to protect the weak.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Timeline -

ship leaves port in Fark Atahy - about 9 days ago
mutiny and pirates - 2 days ago
storm comes on - 36 hours ago
land on island - 10 minute ago

So, you have all known the other PCs for at least 9 days, unless you decide you are a pirate, in which case the non-pirates might not like or trust you very much initially. But for the time being, hostilities have ceased and everyone is working together for mutual survival. That could change.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Grr... that's no help. :P I wonder who I will vote off the island first.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

Can you share some of the more important NPCs in the survivors? (haha... survivors). The reason I ask is not because of culling the useless, but we will probably want to separate the group into three: ship's crew, pirates, and others. I highly doubt we want to comingle pirates and crew, given the pirates were recently slaughtering the crew. Break them up into three groups, put them into three separate areas of the beach, and hope they don't attack each other for a while.

To pull this off, we'll need to know who the leaders and movers are to convince them that their best chance to stay alive is to band together in their own tribe and not attempt to reunify with the Others (see what I did there?).

Or we just cull the 30 down to the necessary few to keep Sonja alive... :roll:
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
quozl

Post by quozl »

Perhaps Sonja could be the leader of the pirates instead of Jab-Afri.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Maybe we can just send the monk and Sonja doing some scouting, and explode the ship with all the survivors ? There is a lot of gunpowder in there.

:D
Woe

Post by Woe »

quozl wrote:Perhaps Sonja could be the leader of the pirates instead of Jab-Afri.
Would you prefer
"And I suppose in exchange you want me not to kill the whelps?"
or
"Good night, Jaali. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Longman wrote:2 - Yes, just so long as you follow the rules on page 155 closely. You might fail in your scroll creation.
Yeah. I tried to make a scroll of Magic Missile. Needed a 47; rolled a 58. Bye bye 500 gp. Oh well, I didn't really have anything to spend it on anyway.
Longman

Post by Longman »

(Ooops. I hope you did the calculations right. That is a lot of money for a blank sheet of parchment.)

In other news - guys, this is supposed to be an exploration-based and pretty light-hearted fantasy romp, not a heavy time commitment for me, as i already have a larger campaign on here. At this stage I do not want to design or even list a bunch of NPCs, or dwell too much on the political situation with the NPCs. Maybe later, if the game takes off properly. Definitely not right at the start.

So for the time being, can you all assume that you are in a 'tough' group that has formed out of the various parties aboard the ship, to do things that need doing? You can be pirates or regular crew members or even slaves if you want, but you'll either be exploring, trying to get the ship off the reef before it is destroyed completely, or, staying on the beach and hoping nothing bad happens.

I'll start the game tomorrow.