Base Camp (Chit Chat)

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Base Camp (Chit Chat)

Post by Longman »

Hiya,

If I can get another 2 players or more, I'm going to have a crack at running J. D. Neale's Monkey Isle as a PbP. I already have one interested player. I don't mind if you are already playing a solo campaign with me.

Your characters will be 5th level and will start with some magic items.

If you are interested, respond here, and please do not read the module!

I do not intend on imposing daily posting rules or anything of that nature, but I'll be moving the action along in the absence of players, rather than waiting a long time for them to respond. I should be posting at least once every few days.
Last edited by Longman on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mTeasdale

Re: PbP: Monkey Isle

Post by mTeasdale »

I could be interested, I can't guarantee a post every day, but would try my best.

I have read a few bits from the module a while ago, but I'm not really familiar with it.

An halfling fighter would be my character of choice.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Sweet. I already had halflings in mind.

I now have 3 players - one from the Northlands game (which seems to have stalled on the runway), one who just sent me a PM, and you (mTeasdale).

If you own / have read the module, that's fine, but I'd ask you not to refer to it while we are playing.

I'd like this game to be "by-the-book" BFRPG, unlike my Boldenwald campaign which has a bunch of house-rules.

Having said that, I'd like to get away from standard Northern European fantasy for a bit and have an Indian Ocean / Sinbad / Pirate type setting for this with Arabic / African trader characters, some halflings, and maybe a few interesting racial choices like sea-elves.

I'm also considering some black-powder weapons for an early age of exploration setting, but I'd take advice on the player group on that. (If you want guns you can have them, basically.)

Not posting every day is fine. The thing is, if I haven't heard from anyone for a bit I'd just NPC you until you showed up again to keep things going.

By the way ... does J. D. Neale still post on here? If so...I like your setting and I can see the work that has gone in there! I'm assuming it's OK if I use it, but let me know if there is any particular way you want it done/ credited etc.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

I think I'm the PM that Longman mentioned. While I've a great deal of RPG experience (AD&D, Top Secret, Gamma World, and others a long time ago; more recently Star Wars RPGs - Saga Edition and FFG's Edge of the Empire series), I've never played BFRPG before.

I had a human magic user in mind who specializes in social interaction spells (Charm Person, etc.), with a bit of combat spells thrown in for good measure. Is that too boring? If you want the pirate theme, he could have a parrot as a familiar? :D
Longman

Post by Longman »

Yep, you are the PM I mentioned, Melvyn. It would be good to have you on board.

You can totally be a charm school wizard pirate with a parrot familiar!

Just be called something Arabic / East African rather than Anglo-Celtic / Nordic, and we're all good.
quozl

Post by quozl »

I love going Arabian for this! Will think up a character soon.

Thanks, Longman!
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

I would very much like to join this game if at all possible. I've always wanted to play the monkey Isle moduale but my IRL campaign went slightly off the rails (in the best way possible) and we never got round to it.If you will have me I would like to play a fighter/magic user swashbuckling elf pirate as that seems to be quite an interesting character to play.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Longman wrote:You can totally be a charm school wizard pirate with a parrot familiar!
Sweet! Or maybe a seagull. Hmm...
Longman wrote:Just be called something Arabic / East African rather than Anglo-Celtic / Nordic, and we're all good.
Not trying to be a pain, but would east Asian be okay? I'm thinking something like the wizard in the original Conan movie. I'm thinking of a 'mystic wizard from a foreign eastern land' kind of thing.

Also, what are the guidelines for PC creation? Are any of the optional rule sets or supplements in play? Just asking since I'm starting to plan my PC.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Longman wrote:Yep, you are the PM I mentioned, Melvyn. It would be good to have you on board.
Also, I think it's pretty funny that my screen name spellchecks to 'Melvyn'. :lol:
Longman

Post by Longman »

Also, I think it's pretty funny that my screen name spellchecks to 'Melvyn'.
Opps. That was just my misreading. MevlyTM. OK.
I would very much like to join this game if at all possible.
Sure. You are player #4.
Also, what are the guidelines for PC creation? Are any of the optional rule sets or supplements in play? Just asking since I'm starting to plan my PC.
Roll 4d6, drop lowest, arrange in any order
Max HP at first level.
Spellcasters get additional 1st level spells based on their primary stat.
Spells known - 15 for magic-users, 12 for Clerics, and 9 for fighter / magic-users (choose carefully).
Starting equipment given by DM.

Available races: human (African, Asiatic, Arabic), sea-elf (a regular elf that an swim underwater at 40' and can't go more than 4 hours without getting wet), halfling (brown skinned), Canein, Kappa (turtle men), Lerini (lizard folk), Catfolk (1HD humanoid I will describe later). Most of these are in the Field Guide, except the catfolk.

Available classes: magic user, fighter-magic user (sea-elf only), thief, fighter, cleric, ranger (as per supplement).

Do you guys want black-powder weapons or is that going to be too weird?