Base Camp (Chit Chat)

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

mTeasdale

Re: Base Camp (Chit Chat)

Post by mTeasdale »

Character ready !

I almost forgot to buy rations. This could have ended quickly for me !
Woe

Post by Woe »

Character done, except for the detailed description of her tattoos. :oops: And in a related note, Black Sonja is now Sonja Reis because Google. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Somewhat related, any suggestions what to do with the boatloads of extra gold? I started buying quality gear just to dump cash. Is that wise, or should we hoard it?
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

quozl bought gems, partly as fluff, and also to save on weight, I guess. You can do likewise.

The only thing is, a single gem is much more easily pilfered than a bunch of coins, so be on the lookout, if you take that option.
Woe

Post by Woe »

That's why I put them in mah boots!
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

A few more questions for the DM:

1. I added +10% to XP for being human (total = 22,000). Is that okay?
2. Can I spend my money on having prepared scrolls of my own spells according to the scroll creation rules on p. 155? I would keep it within reason regarding the number, etc.
3. Can Magic–Users use grenades?
4. What death rules are we using?
Longman

Post by Longman »

1 - I guess that is OK. The other humans better all do that too. (Get 22k exp).
2 - Yes, just so long as you follow the rules on page 155 closely. You might fail in your scroll creation.
3 - Yes, you can use grenades. Lobbing a grenade and rolling a 1 is a disaster, though, so be careful. And I will be using the 'missiles that miss' rules as well.
4 - Straight core rules, no optionals! Zero hit points, you die.

By the way...

If you cast Continual Light it lasts for FIVE YEARS. So I think you would already have numerous (let's say 3) continual light objects in your possession. Thus, you do not need to memorise that spell if you would rather get something else instead.

Also - my reading of the rules is that you only need Read Magic when learning a new spell or when reading a scroll of a spell you do not know. You already know all the spells in your spellbook, and you have already read and studied the scrolls in your possession. (''Reading'' a scroll is different from casting it). Thus, you probably do not need to memorise Read Magic. In the event that you find new magic writing, you might need it at that point.

We are close to starting. I will leave it one more day and if Ser Gavin has not showed himself we can have some action without him.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Longman wrote:1 - I guess that is OK. The other humans better all do that too. (Get 22k exp).
I'm not trying to be a pain. I had just read it as 10% bonus to awarded XP. If you're uncomfortable with that, I'm more than happy to eliminate it. That's why I asked.
Longman wrote:2 - Yes, just so long as you follow the rules on page 155 closely. You might fail in your scroll creation.
Certainly it would be by the book. And it would really help my PC be more effective - especially if we get into a fight.
Longman wrote:3 - Yes, you can use grenades. Lobbing a grenade and rolling a 1 is a disaster, though, so be careful. And I will be using the 'missiles that miss' rules as well.
Ooohh. I'll be careful.
Longman wrote:4 - Straight core rules, no optionals! Zero hit points, you die.
Maybe I shouldn't have spent that much time on backstory?
Longman wrote:If you cast Continual Light it lasts for FIVE YEARS. So I think you would already have numerous (let's say 3) continual light objects in your possession. Thus, you do not need to memorise that spell if you would rather get something else instead.
Thanks for letting me know - I had forgotten to ask about that. Still, if he has the spell memorized, he would be able to cast Continual Darkness on an opponent as well (correct?). I chose all of his memorized spells to be ones that he would be able to have discretely used against bullies (but might also be useful in other combat situations). So maybe he's blinded a bully or two in the past.
Longman wrote:Also - my reading of the rules is that you only need Read Magic when learning a new spell or when reading a scroll of a spell you do not know. You already know all the spells in your spellbook, and you have already read and studied the scrolls in your possession. (''Reading'' a scroll is different from casting it). Thus, you probably do not need to memorise Read Magic. In the event that you find new magic writing, you might need it at that point.
Oh, okay. I had misunderstood the text and assumed that Read Magic was an automatically memorized spell ("…so ingrained that it can be prepared without a spellbook.), so I had that memorized in addition to the 2+2 1st Level spells (for level and INT modifier). Therefore, I'll remove the memorization for that one.

I appreciate everyone's patience, since I am somewhat new at this game.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Are we starting with the assumption that the PCs all know each other and trust each other, or are we all strangers? I'm thinking that we should kill all of the useless 0th castaways and impress the others into building a fort... But then started worrying that an upstanding individual would object and try to defend them.

Sorry if it sounds dark. :twisted: I'm still working out whether I'm a blackheart or not.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

MevlyTM: It's fine. Hope you enjoy the game.

I have now checked and SerGavin has logged on as recently as yesterday. Are you still interested, SG? By the way, I answered your question about turnover pistols here:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1829&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... =20#p51238

You might have missed that I did that, after taking your post down from the character tread, which is just for characters.

If you are still on board, let me know. Otherwise we will make a start and you (or other players) can jump in with spare characters after the game has started.

Woe: you have known each other at least a week and are clearly some of the tougher crew members. Once the game starts you can discuss killing all the useless NPC characters if you like...
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Woe wrote:I'm thinking that we should kill all of the useless 0th castaways and impress the others into building a fort...
Remind me not to get on Sonja's bad-side! Or at least to appear useful.