Base Camp (Chit Chat)

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

pinewood

Re: Base Camp (Chit Chat)

Post by pinewood »

Woe wrote:
pinewood wrote:Once Apinya reaches the sea-elf she rolls off the camel, drawing her pistol and cutlass.

I'm going to need two reasons to let you ever get off this beach.
Uh... Apinya has historically been pro-Saracen because they've all been pirates and the pirate captain sent us out to protect him because hidden plot line. Killing him is a radical change of behavior.
Oh... I misread sorry haha. I'll fix that up.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Oh, you can definitely do it if you can pull it off. What you don't know is that I originally started with a goodie-goodie ranger and esteemed pirate killer (Sonja Reis). Saracen was a pirate PC in the group, and there was clearly going to be a pirate/lawman showdown. Sonja eventually attacked (ambushed) Saracen, and both the meek-mannered YC and the "defends the helpless" monk came to pirate's defense (along with Jaali, which was expected). Sonja got away and I rerolled Kanya to be more aligned with the group's alignment and playstyle. Apinya came along because Longman likes having an NPC around to help us players out when we get stuck (hah! i figured you out long ago! :), and we had secret orders to keep Saracen alive for some reason we aren't aware of (but he is). I think Saracen is the Captain's special cabin boy.

Fast forward a few days of game time, and we now have YC and Maju both trying to kill Saracen. >.<

And hey! Kanya is Siamese too!
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
pinewood

Post by pinewood »

I updated Apinya for level 6. Now she just needs her new hit points.
Longman

Post by Longman »

roll those hit points!

Also - Kanya is Siamese by birth but apparently doesn't speak it. She has desert common and sea common, but not her home language. Looks like she has spent her life on the move.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Woe wrote:Fast forward a few days of game time, and we now have YC and Maju both trying to kill Saracen. >.<
Clarification: Maju is not trying to kill Saracen. And as near as I can tell, the monk is doing everything he can to _not_ kill him as well.

Regarding the pirate/lawman showdown - even though it's a little meta-game-ish, I don't like intra-party conflicts (except under certain very controlled circumstances). I think it's bad for the game. To me, the idea that a party exists includes the a priori assumption that they have been able to put aside whatever differences they may have. Otherwise the party wouldn't exist in the first place. I kept waiting for Sonja to come to the realization that we all need each other in order to survive (at least for the time being), but that never materialized. Now the pirate is an NPC, which makes things completely different IMHO.

But that's just my thoughts on it.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Longman wrote:Everyone else - sorry to be a stickler, but a chase of this length with varying speeds has placed the camel at least 5 minutes behind the monk, and the dinosaur steed even more behind. So, this battle was always Yuan-Cheng's to fight, when he ran ahead of you all. And it looks like he is very much winning it, right now. Hopefully we can bring this all together quite soon.
No worries! His PC runs the fastest, so it only makes sense.
Longman

Game Planning

Post by Longman »

Sorry, Mevly.

(By the way, the current pirate is Kanya, and now Apinya is also a pirate PC. Sonya, who was not a pirate, ran off 10 days ago and is still missing.)

I've enjoyed the factional stuff personally, but I know it isn't to everyone's taste, and it has created a backstory that is a bit hard to explain. And I'd like to keep this moving and get the new players properly involved, with a more united party.

Here's the new deal: the pirates are plain bad. They were planning on leaving without you, selling most of you as slaves if you ever showed up, and they have no real loyalty to Kanya and Apinya, otherwise they wouldn't have sent you off into the jungle and never come looking for you. As actual pirates, you two probably know just how bad they really are.

The pirate boss seems to have some liking for Saracen, the reason for which is not explained so far. Otherwise, he has emerged as a very nasty and very powerful character who doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself. (Rhialto's character could explain all of this, when he shows up.)

If you go to the beach, you will get a fight, but you might also recapture the ship and maybe sail away. If you stay on the island, you avoid that, but you are stuck here.

I generally agree with Mevly here. The pirate / passenger faction thing should be resolved. Ideally, I'd like you to come together and the explore the island. Or, fight the pirates to get off it.

The third option is we could fast forward and say you have all gotten off the island, and are ready to start a new adventure somewhere else. I could do that, if people would like it.

Whatever happens, I have two new players and I'd like to get something cohesive going on, and it isn't very cohesive right now. My apologies for that, as GM. Let me know what you want to do.
MevlyTM

Re: Game Planning

Post by MevlyTM »

Longman wrote:Sorry, Mevly.

My apologies for that, as GM.
No apologies necessary as far as I'm concerned. I'm enjoying the game very much. And I hope my post didn't come across as a rant. I certainly didn't mean it that way.

I enjoy the factional aspect to a point as well - in that it can generate some interesting interpersonal tensions. But I'm hoping that we as PCs can agree to not try to kill each other. There's enough other stuff out there that wants to kill us!

As for the sea elf, perhaps the best thing would be to keep him as a prisoner/hostage in order to make sure we can keep the pirate captain from leaving (so we can eventually get off the island).
Longman wrote:Ideally, I'd like you to come together and the explore the island. Or, fight the pirates to get off it.
We could do both if we want to - fight the pirates to secure the ship, then explore the island more completely. In fact, the ship wold be a convenient means to travel around the exterior of the island. However, I'm not sure this would fit with Kanya's PC who seems to have her only goal to be to leave the island. Maybe the possible lure of a dragon hoard would be enough to keep her interested? I'm smelling a dragon efreeti battle! (While we eat popcorn and watch.)
Longman

Post by Longman »

I'm glad you are enjoying it. I think it's good in many aspects, but it has become less sandboxy and more narrative-driven than I would have liked. That's become particularly apparent to me as I've tried to introduce new people who weren't there from the beginning. I'm realizing just how much story there is in the game right now.

When that happens in a sandbox game you need to break the tension sometimes and say, OK, those story arcs are completed now, and we are back to a basic game. Otherwise you end up with too many story arcs and the whole thing falls over. I sense there is a danger of that happening here if I can't get you all to unite somehow and either get off the island, or decide to stay here.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Ok, I have posted my character's stats and made an entrance in the story thread.
If there is anything else I should do for now, let me know.
I did not yet manage to read through all the story but given that Rostam was a prisoner of the pirates until recently, that may not be so bad.